• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kobe Bryant, Daughter Gigi and 7 Others Dead in Helicopter Crash

Yeah so when I see racist tags and people who only have negative things on today, it makes my adrenaline rush and my whole fucking body shake. The man just blew up in a helicopter explosion with his daughter and 7 other people today. Stop being such pieces of shit, if you don't have anything but negative and racist shit to say today, shut the fuck up and say something at the end of the week.

FWIW, I don’t think anyone questions what he did for the sport. No one is diminishing anything about his daughter either. It’s tragic and I hope his family finds a way forward with peace.

Also thing it’s valid to question why winning in America covers up even the worst of sins in our society.

This is it.

FWIW, I don’t think anyone questions what he did for the sport. No one is diminishing anything about his daughter either. It’s tragic and I hope his family finds a way forward with peace.

Also thing it’s valid to question why winning in America covers up even the worst of sins in our society.

Excellent viewpoint. We're already hearing non-stop platitudes about how great a guy Kobe was that will continue for the next several days. I wonder what the gal in question and rape victims, in general, are going to handle that. I feel for them.

And it’s only assholes who feel the need to ask that question today.

Excellent viewpoint. We're already hearing non-stop platitudes about how great a guy Kobe was that will continue for the next several days. I wonder what the gal in question and rape victims, in general, are going to handle that. I feel for them.

She’s probably mourning for his family, just like every normal human being on the planet.

Kobe Bryant and Daughter Gigi Dead in Helicopter Crash

The whole point of those comments is to say they feel horrible for his family, but not him. That’s what my statement said. However, slander on Kobe directly affects his family. I’m sure his little daughters love to hear how bad of a person their father was the day of their father and sister dying in a crash.

Last edited:

Show me one of my posts where I said he was a great guy. In fact, I said multiple times, I wasn't a Kobe fan.

Show me once where I said anything other than I question this specific person not all rape victims and that this was the wrong time to attack a person who died tragically, with his daughter, today.

yes, it is a standard in our society to remember the recently deceased by fondly remembering them at their best rather than bringing up their worst moments. i think that’s a good thing.

Sounds like “nows not the right time to discuss gun control, while the bodies are still warm” to me

Totally different. Talking about helicopter control would be the same, but talking about a rape allegation from 17 years ago is a bit dickish in the day the accused died while taking his daughter to a basketball game.

This is it.

Legacies can be complicated, TK. I'm sure that most of our collective heroes in this country did terrible things, but did so without any sort of repercussions or consequences. The bigger issue is our rush to deify people in this country and our need for those people to be perfect or to sweep their indiscretions under the rug.

Kobe did a lot of great things for basketball, especially women's basketball towards the end of his career and during his brief retirement, and for various communities around the United States. He also did really terrible things. We need to be able to grapple with nuance while recognizing that the dude means a lot of things to a lot of people.

The issue here, however, is that some of these responses are just in awful taste and almost immediately after the news broke. It's the internet - I get it - but like some of y'all need to do better.

The Dallas Mavericks are retiring Kobe's number? He didn't even play there. I mean there's been a lot of great players in the history of the NBA and all of them are going to die at some point. It seems like some of the reaction might be a little bit over the top.

The Kobe rape allegations are analogous to Robert Byrd and his KKK membership and opposing civil rights legislation. It’s part of his life story and is fair game when discussing his life and legacy.

And it’s nonsense to say it’s disrespectful to bring that up on wake forest message board. It’s not like this is the eulogy at his funeral or any members of his family are reading these comments. It’s obviously tragic for his wife and family, as well as the families of the other victims, but Kobe very well may have anally raped a teenager, so it’s fair to question his deification.

The Kobe rape allegations are analogous to Robert Byrd and his KKK membership and opposing civil rights legislation. It’s part of his life story and is fair game when discussing his life and legacy.

And it’s nonsense to say it’s disrespectful to bring that up on wake forest message board. It’s not like this is the eulogy at his funeral or any members of his family are reading these comments. It’s obviously tragic for his wife and family, as well as the families of the other victims, but Kobe very well may have anally raped a teenager, so it’s fair to question his deification.

But it's not fair not to discuss the fact that at the time of his death, Robert Byrd had left those dark days behind him and had written and sponsored more civil rights laws than anyone in the history of Congress. It's lazy and dishonest to tell the first part of his story without the rest, without the redemption he sought and acted upon.

Legacies can be complicated, TK. I'm sure that most of our collective heroes in this country did terrible things, but did so without any sort of repercussions or consequences. The bigger issue is our rush to deify people in this country and our need for those people to be perfect or to sweep their indiscretions under the rug.

Kobe did a lot of great things for basketball, especially women's basketball towards the end of his career and during his brief retirement, and for various communities around the United States. He also did really terrible things. We need to be able to grapple with nuance while recognizing that the dude means a lot of things to a lot of people.

The issue here, however, is that some of these responses are just in awful taste and almost immediately after the news broke. It's the internet - I get it - but like some of y'all need to do better.

Overall, I don't disagree with you. My solo exception is that I don't think the norm for waiting to judging a person's character is productive beyond the rhetorical function of protecting someone's image (for both the celebrity and the psyche of the audience member). The most honest thing we can do is immediately and unflinchingly subject our heroes to criticism from all angles. Some people don't like that, which makes sense, (maybe because it threatens to tear apart the perceived stability of an object?) but it is the truth, I dunno. Some people responded so negatively in this thread that they started blaming the same victim that Kobe admitted to assaulting. Either they have their facts crossed or they really feel psychologically threatened. Seems like maybe a little confrontation on this thread can help move us toward truth?

Thanks for the tags too, I guess?

This is what being a fucking crazy person is all about, what a psycho.

Yes, because when I see these reactions to today's events and people want to attack me for telling you not to be such pieces of shit, I want to teach you some fucking respect the way my dad taught me. He is a great guy, decorated Air Force Vietnam vet, but also knows sometimes when people are giant assholes the best way to teach them a lesson is to beat some sense and respect into them. Soooo the offer stand for you to Mr Iron Eagle, if you have a problem with me saying shut the fuck up with the racist and negative comments today I'll be happy to meet you and teach you some respect.

Back