• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kobe Bryant, Daughter Gigi and 7 Others Dead in Helicopter Crash

Unfortunately I am not close to Winston-Salem but anyone that’s looking to put you in jail for a few years and make a quick dollar in the following civil suit should step up to the plate and call Kobe, a sports figure with no real connection to you, a pos to your face ya psycho.

Like, (and this isn't directed at Strick) if you want a thread where we just say nice things about Kobe then maybe reddit.com/r/lakers/ is yr one-stop shop. It was really only a matter of time before someone relitigated the Kobe sexual assault case on a sports message boards, and since this place is basically an electronic man-cave you (probably?) shouldn't expect posters here to do it in the most tactful manner.

From TMZ:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/26/kobe-bryant-killed-dead-helicopter-crash-in-calabasas/

4:30 PM PT -- L.A. weather was extremely foggy Sunday morning, and law enforcement sources tell us even LAPD air support was grounded because of it. Flight tracker data shows Kobe's chopper appeared to first encounter weather issues as it was above the L.A. Zoo. It circled that area at least 6 times at a very low altitude -- around 875 feet -- perhaps waiting for the fog to clear.

We know the pilot contacted the control tower at Burbank Airport around 9:30 AM PT, and the tower was aware the pilot had been circling for about 15 minutes. The pilot eventually headed north along the 118 freeway before turning to the west, and started following above the 101 freeway around Woodland Hills, CA.
At around 9:40 AM they encounter more weather -- as in seriously heavy fog -- and the chopper turned south. This was critical, because they turned toward a mountainous area. The pilot suddenly and rapidly climbed from about 1200 feet up to 2000 feet.

However, moments later -- around 9:45 AM -- they flew into a mountain at 1700 feet. Flight tracker data shows they were flying at about 161 knots.

The Dallas Mavericks are retiring Kobe's number? He didn't even play there. I mean there's been a lot of great players in the history of the NBA and all of them are going to die at some point. It seems like some of the reaction might be a little bit over the top.

[URL="https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjeupHg8KLnAhWRiOAKHUckCcUQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgifrific.com%2Fupset-michael-jordan-laughs-to-himself%2F&psig=AOvVaw2_4yrt1qnii4a7MworsS7I&ust=1580183581482096"]

[/URL]

From TMZ:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/26/kobe-bryant-killed-dead-helicopter-crash-in-calabasas/

4:30 PM PT -- L.A. weather was extremely foggy Sunday morning, and law enforcement sources tell us even LAPD air support was grounded because of it. Flight tracker data shows Kobe's chopper appeared to first encounter weather issues as it was above the L.A. Zoo. It circled that area at least 6 times at a very low altitude -- around 875 feet -- perhaps waiting for the fog to clear.

We know the pilot contacted the control tower at Burbank Airport around 9:30 AM PT, and the tower was aware the pilot had been circling for about 15 minutes. The pilot eventually headed north along the 118 freeway before turning to the west, and started following above the 101 freeway around Woodland Hills, CA.
At around 9:40 AM they encounter more weather -- as in seriously heavy fog -- and the chopper turned south. This was critical, because they turned toward a mountainous area. The pilot suddenly and rapidly climbed from about 1200 feet up to 2000 feet.

However, moments later -- around 9:45 AM -- they flew into a mountain at 1700 feet. Flight tracker data shows they were flying at about 161 knots.

I saw one claim they were flying VFR and not ILS. There is NO way that could have been the case.

Yes, because when I see these reactions to today's events and people want to attack me for telling you not to be such pieces of shit, I want to teach you some fucking respect the way my dad taught me. He is a great guy, decorated Air Force Vietnam vet, but also knows sometimes when people are giant assholes the best way to teach them a lesson is to beat some sense and respect into them. Soooo the offer stand for you to Mr Iron Eagle, if you have a problem with me saying shut the fuck up with the racist and negative comments today I'll be happy to meet you and teach you some respect.

Sorry your Dad beat you.

Unfortunately I am not close to Winston-Salem but anyone that’s looking to put you in jail for a few years and make a quick dollar in the following civil suit should step up to the plate and call Kobe, a sports figure with no real connection to you, a pos to your face ya psycho.

Wake Forest has a boxing club room, and there is a Muay Thai gym 1 mile from campus. So if you're not a pussy and want a real fight lets put some MMA gloves on and do it legally.

From TMZ:

I'm about 65-100 miles from there. We have had some serious marine layers over the past couple of days. It was really thick. About two blocks from the beach, you couldn't see the sand. Unlike some coastal areas, mountains come right to the beach and a little inland. The above explanation makes a lot of sense.

From TMZ:

Can confirm it was a very unusual fog day. Went to the driving range today, and after 2 balls wanted to go home, because I could not see the ball whatsoever. Can't remember that ever happening in my life. If you look at the flight history tsy posted , you could also see all the circles they did that seemed very unusual, I thought they had stopped to pick someone up there.

Calabassas does have bunch of hills and has a couple of areas that are like bowls that could capture the fog/marine layer.

Show me one of my posts where I said he was a great guy. In fact, I said multiple times, I wasn't a Kobe fan.

Show me once where I said anything other than I question this specific person not all rape victims and that this was the wrong time to attack a person who died tragically, with his daughter, today.

Show me where I insinuated that you thought he was a great guy. I only entered this discussion (regrettably) when you said there was no evidence in regard to the alleged sexual assault.

Sounds like a horrifying experience to be in a helicopter for 20 minutes that is circling around because it can't see and flying in between mountains.

In the immediate aftermath of the hearing, it was no surprise that sexual assault reporting declined dramatically at the alleged victim’s school, the University of Northern Colorado.

“How many women remember the Kobe Bryant case and don’t file a rape charge?” Shaw said.

From the article WFU71 linked, the above quote breaks my heart. I'll reserve my righteous indignation for rape victims silenced and shamed by powerful men, as opposed to this bizarre crusade for teaching people respect that Netflix appears to be on.

Seeing Tim Duncan, who goes into the hall of fame with Kobe, cry earlier was tough to watch. Real tough to watch.

Timmy, Kobe, and KG entering the Hall together was going to be peak Gen X greatness.

Show me where I insinuated that you thought he was a great guy. I only entered this discussion (regrettably) when you said there was no evidence in regard to the alleged sexual assault.

Sorry, if I came on too strongly, but I think this woman hurts all the legitimately victimized women. I could be wrong, but this just never sat right with me.

His wife was very young (think she was about 20-22) or she might have divorced him. There were also lots of family problems with Kobe's parents about the marriage.

I was definitely surprised Nike didn't dump him.

Last edited:
Sounds like a horrifying experience to be in a helicopter for 20 minutes that is circling around because it can't see and flying in between mountains.

Yep, if they couldn't find the passage out to the ocean, crashing into a hill/mountain could easily happen in that pea soup fog.

Back