• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kobe Bryant, Daughter Gigi and 7 Others Dead in Helicopter Crash

^^^ That's awesome

I don't know what got me started the other day, but somehow I fell down the Pistol Pete Maravich rabbit hole on YouTube. My gosh he was unreal, relative to the times.

Certainly not. I was just having lunch with my buddies Brad Pitt and Leo Dicaprio and this trivia question came up. Thought I would post it. That's all.

You introduced them to Tarantino if I’m not mistaken

Oh ok. I used to have a 182 and also a Bonanza but fly a Baron now. I would actually love to have a 182 again. What a great airplane.

As a not-very-interesting aside, I've flown many hours and only twice did I think I was headed for death. I think about that feeling every time I think about Kobe's crash and what that feeling was like. Once, I was flying with my father in a Piper Navajo (that's what we had at the time and my father flew it and he was a very experienced pilot- I was about 12 when this happened) and we lost an engine coming back to NC from Jacksonville Fla. Dad went through the list of what to do, and couldn't get it going again. Not a huge deal, and he talked to Atlanta tower I think and redirected to an airport asap. (Avionics technology was nowhere near what it is today - this would have been mid-late 70s). We were over Ga if I remember right. Almost instantly, we lost the 2nd engine. So there we were with no engines and that plane didn't glide very well. Losing altitude like a son of a gun and dad going through his checklist very nervously. No way we get to the airport. But somehow he got the 2nd engine that had cut out going again and we were ok but we didn't have much air left under us at that point. Flew on one engine to the airport, landed, and had the plane checked out by their mechanic. I had bricks in my pants. My father was shocked I kept my interest and love for flying.

That Navajo was actually stolen and ditched/crashed by Barry Seal (American Made movie, etc) when he was doing that for those drug runs. We actually still to this day get mail and requests for information on that stolen drug plane episode some 40 years later.

Some may criticize your post but I like it. My co-worker and I have been discussing the crash at work for most of the week and we discussed the very thing you mentioned about realizing your time is done and the horror in that. I personally hope that everyone on that helicopter had no idea what was about to happen and I suppose we will never know. I love aviation (mostly military) and it saddens me to think folks lost their lives on a helicopter that shouldn't have been flying in that fog with such an experienced pilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRrYzII86aY Not saying this is what happened to Kobe's helicopter but flying in that fog screws with your body and disorients the shit out of you. Gives a little insight as to what the pilot had to deal with possibly. * Viewer beware *

Also saw this story. It is a great read and focuses on other folks that were not named Kobe:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...lli-fights-loss-brother-john-helicopter-crash

I was coming to this thread to get info on the story and to reflect, as this whole experience makes me think about fathers and children. So to me, making this of all threads about oneself was too much, particularly when that is a regular habit of some posters. But that doesn't seem to be the consensus, and so be it. And I did get a bit testy in sharing my viewpoint, I'll own that!

And yet you proceeded to make the thread about you and what you wanted it to be.

Last edited:

^^^ That's awesome

I don't know what got me started the other day, but somehow I fell down the Pistol Pete Maravich rabbit hole on YouTube. My gosh he was unreal, relative to the times.

Hot take: I'm pretty sure I could've been an NBA role player during this era. Some amazing athleticism on display here.

Back