• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kobe Bryant, Daughter Gigi and 7 Others Dead in Helicopter Crash

That's awesome. Is he cool? FD was the best of the blog-era, if not the internet, imo.

Yeah, very nice, cool guy, decent pal of mine. Law librarian who lives in Chicago now. I was working with him at the height of freedarko in mid-00s, so that was cool because he was just my office mate who had an influential blog.

It’s funny, Recluse went to UNC and Shoals lived/was from in Chapel Hill, but they didn’t know each other in real life at first, they met on a Heels message board or something like that.

But anyway, Kobe.

think the two Chicago-based dudes ran the operation from my hood

lots of great journalism coming out of Hyde Park, including the Baffler

They definitely had a vibe. That was a cool blog. I have some sweet t-shirts I got from them.

They definitely had a vibe. That was a cool blog. I have some sweet t-shirts I got from them.

I don't really fit into it anymore, but my blue FD shirt got me some weird looks walking around Brooklyn back in the day.

Yeah, I think stuff like that should only be done with the NBA games really.

The UCONN women vs. Team USA was good because Gigi was a big fan and Kobe was a fellow Olympian. Otherwise, yeah.

Haven’t seen this mentioned, but Kobe and their group were on their way to play an 8th grade girls team coached by Jason Terry.

The UCONN women vs. Team USA was good because Gigi was a big fan and Kobe was a fellow Olympian. Otherwise, yeah.

Haven’t seen this mentioned, but Kobe and their group were on their way to play an 8th grade girls team coached by Jason Terry.

Agree, I thought what they did at that game was very fitting.

Did anyone else see Michael Wilbon talk about an experience with Kobe? Wilbon said he was with his 6 year old son at a Wizards game in Kobe's last season and during shoot around Kobe came over and spoke to them. Said it was a thrill for the kid, and at one point WIlbon's kid looked at Kobe and said "Why do I have to go to school if I'm going to grow up to be an NBA player just like you Kobe?". Wilbon said Kobe responded "Can I borrow your son for a few minutes so we can talk?". Kobe takes the kid up into the seats and sits him down and talks to him one on one for several minutes. Wilbon said he never had a problem with his son and school again. It sounded like Wilbon was amazed that Kobe - just minutes before a game - would take the time to try to straighten that out as opposed to just laughing and thinking it was a cute/funny thing for the kid to say. I thought that was pretty cool.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/29/us/helicopter-crash-kobe-bryant-wednesday/index.html

Missed the mountain by only 20-30 feet. How in the world a helicopter like this isn't required to have a terrain warning system, I don't know. Hopefully that's one positive change that can come from this, at least.

The helicopter did not have a terrain awareness and warning system -- a safety feature which provides the pilot with information about the terrain, Homendy said.
The NTSB recommended that similar helicopters be equipped with the system after a fatal Texas crash in 2004 that killed 10 people. The Federal Aviation Administration failed to implement the recommendation, Homendy said.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/29/us/helicopter-crash-kobe-bryant-wednesday/index.html

Missed the mountain by only 20-30 feet. How in the world a helicopter like this isn't required to have a terrain warning system, I don't know. Hopefully that's one positive change that can come from this, at least.

LA Times says the helicopter had that system, although it is possible the pilot deactivated it

In addition to a warning from air traffic control that he was too low to be seen on radar, the pilot also might have been alerted by a ground proximity warning system telling him to pull up, Lawrence said.

Deetz said the aircraft was outfitted with such a device. It would squawk “Terrain! Terrain! Terrain!” in a high-pitched voice if the craft came close to the ground or an obstacle. He said the alert was triggered so often by high-rise buildings that pilots sometimes shut off the audio.

General aviation rules in general are fairly lax. I fly under FAA 103 for the vast majority of my recreational flying and it's pretty much just wide open awesomeness.

Yeah this seems like a good thread to talk about how awesome it is to fly without burdensome safety regulations

General aviation rules in general are fairly lax. I fly under FAA 103 for the vast majority of my recreational flying and it's pretty much just wide open awesomeness.

WFcatamount, do you fly an ulralight? I'm a private pilot and I thought 103 only applied to ultralights and it's basically a "don't get too close to anything and stay out of each other's way" type of thing. I didn't even know you could fly a two seater and up under 103.

WFcatamount, do you fly an ulralight? I'm a private pilot and I thought 103 only applied to ultralights and it's basically a "don't get too close to anything and stay out of each other's way" type of thing. I didn't even know you could fly a two seater and up under 103.

I fly paramotors for fun, and that is correct. Pretty much just don't endanger others and it's good. I have access to Bonanza, and learned to fly in a Cessna 182. Although I rarely ever fly anymore just cost and time prohibitive.

My Grandpa got his license after Korea, and my dad grew up flying, so I've always been around it.

Last edited:
We had 24 seconds of silence before our conference game last night. This is rural 2a basketball in Western NC. To me, that seems a touch ridiculous.

I fly paramotors for fun, and that is correct. Pretty much just don't endanger others and it's good. I have access to Bonanza, and learned to fly in a Cessna 182. Although I rarely ever fly anymore just cost and time prohibitive.

My Grandpa got his license after Korea, and my dad grew up flying, so I've always been around it.

Oh ok. I used to have a 182 and also a Bonanza but fly a Baron now. I would actually love to have a 182 again. What a great airplane.

As a not-very-interesting aside, I've flown many hours and only twice did I think I was headed for death. I think about that feeling every time I think about Kobe's crash and what that feeling was like. Once, I was flying with my father in a Piper Navajo (that's what we had at the time and my father flew it and he was a very experienced pilot- I was about 12 when this happened) and we lost an engine coming back to NC from Jacksonville Fla. Dad went through the list of what to do, and couldn't get it going again. Not a huge deal, and he talked to Atlanta tower I think and redirected to an airport asap. (Avionics technology was nowhere near what it is today - this would have been mid-late 70s). We were over Ga if I remember right. Almost instantly, we lost the 2nd engine. So there we were with no engines and that plane didn't glide very well. Losing altitude like a son of a gun and dad going through his checklist very nervously. No way we get to the airport. But somehow he got the 2nd engine that had cut out going again and we were ok but we didn't have much air left under us at that point. Flew on one engine to the airport, landed, and had the plane checked out by their mechanic. I had bricks in my pants. My father was shocked I kept my interest and love for flying.

That Navajo was actually stolen and ditched/crashed by Barry Seal (American Made movie, etc) when he was doing that for those drug runs. We actually still to this day get mail and requests for information on that stolen drug plane episode some 40 years later.

Last edited:
Oh ok. I used to have a 182 and also a Bonanza but fly a Baron now. I would actually love to have a 182 again. What a great airplane.

As a not-very-interesting aside, I've flown many hours and only twice did I think I was headed for death. I think about that feeling every time I think about Kobe's crash and what that feeling was like. Once, I was flying with my father in a Piper Navajo (that's what we had at the time and my father flew it and he was a very experienced pilot- I was about 12 when this happened) and we lost an engine coming back to NC from Jacksonville Fla. Dad went through the list of what to do, and couldn't get it going again. Not a huge deal, and he talked to Atlanta tower I think and redirected to an airport asap. (Avionics technology was nowhere near what it is today - this would have been mid-late 70s). We were over Ga if I remember right. Almost instantly, we lost the 2nd engine. So there we were with no engines and that plane didn't glide very well. Losing altitude like a son of a gun and dad going through his checklist very nervously. No way we get to the airport. But somehow he got the 2nd engine that had cut out going again and we were ok but we didn't have much air left under us at that point. Flew on one engine to the airport, landed, and had the plane checked out by their mechanic. I had bricks in my pants. My father was shocked I kept my interest and love for flying.

That Navajo was actually stolen and ditched/crashed by Barry Seal (American Made movie, etc) when he was doing that for those drug runs. We actually still to this day get mail and requests for information on that stolen drug plane episode some 40 years later.

Well, we're waiting... What was the second time?

Back