• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

TempBan: RJKarl

Maybe this board has outlived its usefulness. The desire to ban or spider hole to shut actual Wake people up seems contrary to the board’s founding purpose. Getting rid of non-Wake people or obvious trolls by spider holing is one thing (idiots like kanhoji should’ve just been banned from the get go). But even if you don’t like what he says or how he says it, Rj is one of us and there aren’t that many of us Wake fans to start with. I’ve been reading the Wake boards for 25 years and I don’t understand why some people can’t just take him for who he is.

What I did towards Strickland is absolutely my fault. I'm not disputing that at all.

However, we do have proof that there haven't been any problems since they left.

So, on both counts, there's proof I am changing.

You disputed it until you realized that you might get banned. You are still blaming them. You haven’t changed. It’s been 2 days.

Maybe this board has outlived its usefulness. The desire to ban or spider hole to shut actual Wake people up seems contrary to the board’s founding purpose. Getting rid of non-Wake people or obvious trolls by spider holing is one thing (idiots like kanhoji should’ve just been banned from the get go). But even if you don’t like what he says or how he says it, Rj is one of us and there aren’t that many of us Wake fans to start with. I’ve been reading the Wake boards for 25 years and I don’t understand why some people can’t just take him for who he is.

It's not about the person, it's about the action. In my opinion, this is a community that should not tolerate rhetoric like "You are the kind of Jew who creates Nazis. You would turn in your fellow concentration camp prisoners for a morsel of food". In my opinion, that post deserved a ban. It's pretty fucked up that until I drew more attention to it 6 weeks later, rj did not delete the post, or even edit it to take out that line. He did not apologize until I drew attention to it. His only apology prior to that was "I'm sorry you all had to see that"

The concept of a kanoji thread is basically equivalent to a lifetime ban. That's not participation and is a continuing, public insult.

There have been no issues for days.

Old Gold and Black Boards

Discuss Wake Forest Athletics. Freely.

If this is the purpose of this board, a member is required to take the good and the bad. From everyone. Much of what appears on on this board is offensive to someone. All too frequently, I cringe at the level of vitriol expressed. It's unnecessary but it is tolerated. Personally, I try to adhere to a policy of never typing something I would be unwilling to say in person. I'm reasonably certain that isn't the policy of all who participate on the board.

Regarding RJKarl, it takes two to make a fight. In his case there are plenty of folks willing to do so. It's not unusual to read pages of criticism and vitriol about him without his participation. Good luck drawing a line regarding toleration. Better luck enforcing it fairly.

Just an opinion.

Still better than nothing and shows effort.
Stop self congratulating yourself and it **might** mean something.

Because right now it only looks like you've "changed" to congratulate yourself on "changing" and proclaimed that you've "changed"

It hasn't even been a week yet and you're out here tooting your own horn. That shows that you don't get it. And most likely never will.

Old Gold and Black Boards

Discuss Wake Forest Athletics. Freely.

If this is the purpose of this board, a member is required to take the good and the bad. From everyone. Much of what appears on on this board is offensive to someone. All too frequently, I cringe at the level of vitriol expressed. It's unnecessary but it is tolerated. Personally, I try to adhere to a policy of never typing something I would be unwilling to say in person. I'm reasonably certain that isn't the policy of all who participate on the board.

Regarding RJKarl, it takes two to make a fight. In his case there are plenty of folks willing to do so. It's not unusual to read pages of criticism and vitriol about him without his participation. Good luck drawing a line regarding toleration. Better luck enforcing it fairly.

Just an opinion.
The post in question had fuck all to do with Wake Forest sports, correct?

This. We are free to talk about Wake sports without fear of retribution but that shouldn’t apply to how we talk about each other.

The post in question was offensive. No argument.

The wording in your post could be regarded as offensive by some people. You're free to use it on this board.

The wording in your post could be regarded as offensive by some people. You're free to use it on this board.

Hate speech directed at another poster referencing a religious genocide is kind of in a different category than the word “fuck”

Hate speech directed at another poster referencing a religious genocide is kind of in a different category than the word “fuck”

That would be my perspective as well.

The problem for the moderators is in the defining of "categories of offensive" on an board that espouses freedom of discussion.

That would be my perspective as well.

The problem for the moderators is in the defining of "categories of offensive" on an board that espouses freedom of discussion.

I don’t think it’s really a big problem. This isn’t Facebook or twitter. This board is small enough that you can go case by case when thing are really close to the line. And in this case it’s pretty clear that the post was offensive enough to warrant a ban.

I don’t think it’s really a big problem. This isn’t Facebook or twitter. This board is small enough that you can go case by case when thing are really close to the line. And in this case it’s pretty clear that the post was offensive enough to warrant a ban.

If you have actually paid attention, which I'm not sure you have, you would have seen I haven't been out there about your "short ban". What I have opposed is a perma-ban , a month ban or Kanhoji treatment. I've said the absurdity of the ban about Junebug should be taken into consideration as well.

Get the fuck out of here with that weak ass fucking 'butwhaddabout' bullshit.

Back