• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers - New Season New Thread for 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure if they really like him. If they don't, they'll probably trade back. I'm sure this mock is based on Fit having a rep as a trade back guy.

I think the Panthers have needs at specific positions that can be filled with 7 picks in hand especially since they're high picks. I believe every team is two good drafts away from the playoffs and we had a good draft last year. If Pride, Jr. and Roy become starters, then it's a very good draft.

I think because we have Teddy for another year would be why you could go QB in R2/3 (Trask?) who has the talent to start in year 2, but would need to sit his whole rookie season. I know that’s probably the plan if we go QB in R1 but I would assume the timeline is sped up with a R1 QB than an R2/R3.

If we chose to go this route, Rhule has been impressed with Newman so far

FWIW, I looked at Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 he recently released. He has Wilson #4, Lance #11 and Fields #12. Seems to be a building consensus that Wilson is the #2 QB off the board.

I think there will be better QB's drafted outside the top 10 than in it. Just a hunch.

Lance seems to be dropping below #8 in mocks and the Panthers aren’t making the short list of teams that need a QB through trade or the draft. All that seems to add up to taking Pitts, a top MLB, CB, or LT, or more likely trading down to do so if there’s a run on QBs in the top 7 picks.

I could see dropping down a few spots to pick up an extra 3rd then using that third and our 4th to move up to get a Day 2 QB.

Yes the Lions dumping Stafford means if Jets, Falcons, and Lions don’t pass on QBs in the draft we won’t be in line to get any of the assumed top guys

But hey we did beat Washington so I feel great about that

Assuming we don’t go QB I just don’t want a DB at #8

Yes the Lions dumping Stafford means if Jets, Falcons, and Lions don’t pass on QBs in the draft we won’t be in line to get any of the assumed top guys

But hey we did beat Washington so I feel great about that

Assuming we don’t go QB I just don’t want a DB at #8

Why not?

Again, there is no need to take Pitts. I will be upset if we don't get a QB, but I will be mad if we take a skill position. I understand taking a LB, CB, or OL, but still prefer QB.

In my admittedly low level of expertise, #8 seems very high when you can get quality at that position later in the draft. If one of these guys gets comps to Jalen Ramsey, sure go for it. Just seems like DBs have high variance and I’d rather go OL or DL if we stay put but don’t draft a QB

Again, there is no need to take Pitts. I will be upset if we don't get a QB, but I will be mad if we take a skill position. I understand taking a LB, CB, or OL, but still prefer QB.

I am good with taking a QB that is expected to be our starter in year 2, I don't care if that is in the first or the second round.

_D526754.JPG

I think there will be better QB's drafted outside the top 10 than in it. Just a hunch.

Who? Jones? He'll go in the 10-20 range. I don't think much of Trask, and I don't see Newman becoming a legit starter at QB. The only 1 I like outside of round 1 is maybe Mond.

In my admittedly low level of expertise, #8 seems very high when you can get quality at that position later in the draft. If one of these guys gets comps to Jalen Ramsey, sure go for it. Just seems like DBs have high variance and I’d rather go OL or DL if we stay put but don’t draft a QB

Ain't no Ramseys in this draft class. It's a bad DB class for both CB and S. If Surtain is the best or 2nd best CB as much as he tends to get beat, that says something about this DB class. I've read a couple of draft talking heads ragging on this DB class and then noticed that Eric DeCosta extended 2 of our current back-up CBs, who some fans thought wouldn't be back. I think that confirmed what the talking heads were saying. If Carolina doesn't go QB at #8 or trade back, then take Parsons, Smith or Chase because Sewell ain't making it past Cincy. The other guy who may well make it into the top 10 is Pitts. I normally don't like taking a TE that high, but he looks like the deal.

It may come down to taking a seeming sure thing in Pitts vs. question marks at other positions.

bill barnwell says the panthers are the 2nd most likely team to trade for deshaun (miami 1st)

2. Carolina Panthers

Panthers send: Eighth and 39th overall picks in 2021, 2022 first-round pick, 2023 first-round pick, QB Teddy Bridgewater
Texans send: 2022 third-round pick, 2023 fourth-round pick, QB Deshaun Watson

The Panthers probably aren't in position to get the quarterback of their dreams at No. 8, which means they'll either need to trade up a few spots or make a massive deal for Watson. This would be a dramatic move for Matt Rhule and new general manager Scott Fitterer, but Carolina was frustrated with Bridgewater by the end of the season and might be inclined to swap draft capital for a long-term solution at the most important position in sports.

The Panthers would send their next three first-round picks and a second-rounder to the Texans, who also would get a year of Bridgewater at $18 million before having to decide whether to move ahead with him in 2022 for $21 million.

Apparently Tepper flew down to Mobile today which is rare for owners. Scouting a QB? Newman probably didn’t impress with his back to back picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back