• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers - New Season New Thread for 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
in what world is WR what we're thinking about taking with our first pick?

Not talking about Hurney, but there are some smart football people who think that Lamb will be the best of a stacked receiver class.

The one concern about taking Lamb is that the position is so stacked in this year's draft, that you kind find quality receiver talent later in the draft.

Don’t the smart football people also think the defensive players at the top of the draft are all elite prospects?

We don’t even need WR nearly as bad as most positions.

Don’t the smart football people also think the defensive players at the top of the draft are all elite prospects?

No I'd say RB and WR are where we don't need to focus much at all. Perhaps BPA later on, but certainly not in the first few rounds.

Yeah, you're going to get a good reciver in the second or thid round, but you're not going to get Lamb. Samuel was a second round pick. Moore was a late first round pick. Lamb is better than both of them.

We still don't have a read on how good Samuel is. Last year was supposed to be a breakout year for him and it just didn't happen. Good news is that he's still only 23 and will turn 24 in August. Bad news is he's not even the best WR in the NFL with the last name "Samuel."

We have a Top 10 pick in this draft. I'd love to get an actual Top 10 talent in the draft class that can anchor a position through two contracts.

Of course there are elite defensive prospects in the draft (Auburn DT Derrick Brown may be the best prospect in the draft), but just saying that Cee Dee Lamb is a special talent. With every pick, there is a debate between best overall talent versus selecting a player that fits a team's most pressing need.

Matt Rhule's Carolina Panthers: Teddy Bridgewater and PJ Walker are our QBs

That argument is working on me. Maybe it’s because of The Last Dance. We definitely don’t want to Bowie this pick. Can’t see an Big 12 offensive guy passing on Lamb. It would be nice to have a good big WR.

I can talk myself into making Samuel a slot in a 3WR set with a blocking TE. Fits what we have.

Last edited:
Which Temple Owls are going pro? That’s who we’re drafting.

Of course there are elite defensive prospects in the draft (Auburn DT Derrick Brown may be the best prospect in the draft), but just saying that Cee Dee Lamb is a special talent. With every pick, there is a debate between best overall talent versus selecting a player that fits a team's most pressing need.

Seems like there is agreement among the various scouting services that, aside from QB and Chase Young, the next 3 best players in the draft are Simmons, Okudah and Brown. At least 1 of those 3 will probably be available at 7, unless Mia or LAC bypasses a QB, which is unlikely. Okudah is the speculation to Det. I don't see Gettleman getting some team to trade up to 4 unless it's to jump Mia and LAC for a QB. And many think he's going to take an OT if he remains at 4. So it's possible both Simmons and Brown are there at 7. If that happens, Carolina should jump all over Simmons. He can line up all over the field and cover any RB or TE. He's a combo mike/will/safety who you want on the field at all times and gave LSU fits - at least for a half. If he's gone, and you stick at 7, take Brown. Carolina needs help at all levels of D, and, even though he won't get a ton of sacks, he's large and disruptive and is 1 of those eff up the play guys who will demand double teams. His DT mate at Auburn, Davidson, looks to go somewhere in round 2 and is also pretty good.

Too many glaring needs (DT, CB, OL, in particular) to take a WR in round 1 IMHO. Why does Hurney still have a job, by the way? The fact that Tepper hasn't brought in his own guy is wild.

Taking a WR at #7 would be hella dumb unless we are trading one of Moore or Samuel. That being said trading Samuel is fine with me, I don't see it.

not only that but we paid decent money for robbie anderson at WR

well advantage of taking a WR means we'll def lose all our games so good weapons in place for Lawrence

Yes perhaps a long game of tanking by overloading talent at WR because they wouldn’t catching a lot of balls with our crappy OL, CMC getting so many touches, and a QB who averages like 6 yards an attempt

Not sure I’d gamble on Tua given his health history. Not if you are GM with needs at nearly every position.

Rumors going around about the Panthers trading down. It just makes no sense. We have a chance to get a player on par with Cam and Luke.

Even if the plan is to get 2021 assets to trade up for #1, it's going to take a lot to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back