• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers - New Season New Thread for 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
New era, new thread: Matt Rhule's Carolina Panthers 2020 Edition

Giving away good young All-Pro players with the hope of drafting players as good as them is just weird.

Last edited:
I don't trust Hurney either. As I said before, we're ditching all his players, but keeping him? Won't he just give us more of the same?

NBC mock has us taking Simmons
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/2020-nfl-mock-draft#slide-8

When the 2020 NFL Draft is revisited three years from now, fans and analysts may be left asking how in the world Simmons, who's one of the most dynamic linebacker prospects to enter the NFL in years, slid to No. 7 overall. The Panthers, who need to replace future Hall of Famer Luke Kuechly, welcome Simmons with open arms.

Comprehensive story about the Panthers from the combine. Can't say it fills me with optimism for next year or long term. I'm very wait and see on this.
https://theathletic.com/1645164/202...about-the-panthers-behind-the-scenes-in-indy/

INDIANAPOLIS — When Panthers first-year coach Matt Rhule addressed the media at the NFL combine last week, more than half of the 17 questions he received involved quarterback Cam Newton.
That was after Rhule took about a minute discussing Newton’s positive qualities in an opening statement.
And yet, questions about No. 1 remain.
Rhule spoke highly of Newton, and offered more public commitment to the former MVP than the team had done previously — but also refused to say Newton would be his starter if healthy. This, coupled with his statement he “absolutely” wanted Newton on the roster in September, invited some speculation. And Rhule himself left open the possibility the Panthers could take a quarterback high in the April draft.
Besides the Joe Burrow-Tua Tagovailoa-Justin Herbert troika in the draft, there’s also a deep, intriguing group of free-agent quarterbacks. And though Tom Brady is dominating the headlines, proven starters like Philip Rivers, Ryan Tannehill, Teddy Bridgewater and Jameis Winston are looking for landing spots, too.
One report out of the combine linked Tannehill to the Panthers, although it’s tough to envision how a quarterback who’s a year older than Newton fits in a rebuild. Rhule has a history of finding and developing young talent, so it would seem finding “his guy” via the draft is a more logical option. Such a decision has not yet been made internally, though must be soon with free agency nearly here.
With Newton’s health and status for 2020 unsettled, this is a story that isn’t going away. League sources aren’t convinced the Panthers will stick with Newton and say there could still be a trade market for him in June, depending on how the quarterback shuffle winds up. As it stands currently, though, the most convincing market for Newton is thought to be with the Los Angeles Chargers, who have parted ways with Philip Rivers and will be in desperate need to sell tickets in their new stadium.
The other option would be cutting Newton, a move that would save Carolina $19 million against the cap. But the team won’t do anything with him until they see how his health, and a possible summer market, shakes out. Carolina is optimistic Newton can pass a physical in March but will ease him into football activities through the spring and early summer, with an eye on a full return by training camp.
Meanwhile, some agents have been curious about the idea of Newton as a “bridge” quarterback in 2020, while the Panthers also develop a young quarterback. Two prospects whose stock rose all week in Indianapolis? Oklahoma’s Jalen Hurts and Utah State’s Jordan Love.
Newton’s situation isn’t the only one we tracked in Indy. After conversations with coaches, scouts, agents and other team and league sources, The Athletic learned the following:
[h=3]Nobody is truly ‘safe,’ including Christian McCaffrey[/h] Rhule, armed with a seven-year contract, has made it clear he would consider just about anything to improve his squad. Owner David Tepper has stressed Rhule’s ability as a “builder” and “master developer,” which will require capital over the next two years or so as Rhule cements his core in place.
There are two potential deals — one potentially massive — forthcoming for two of the Panthers’ three highest picks from the 2017 draft: double All-Pro running back Christian McCaffrey and right tackle Taylor Moton.
There is speculation across the league that a McCaffrey deal could reset the running back market. But under Tepper, the Panthers say they are becoming more analytically focused. And where running backs are concerned, the numbers say they depreciate in value over the course of their rookie deals the same way a new car depreciates the minute it’s driven off the lot.
But would McCaffrey actually be considered a running back during negotiations? Two sources say his camp will focus more on his versatility, particularly his abilities in the passing game. McCaffrey finished the last two years as the team’s No. 1 receiver, and in 2019 recorded a historic 1,000 rushing/1,000 receiving season.
The other option would be to trade McCaffrey before his value depreciates — or a possible holdout occurs. A trade of a superstar like McCaffrey would demand high-value assets in return — likely multiple first or second-round picks, among other considerations.
McCaffrey’s workload in 2018 and 2019 suggests he’d want some guaranteed long-term security in place ahead of the 2020 season. And he has a little leverage because a holdout — from a star player and team captain, on a team that can’t put butts in seats and whose franchise-favorites are all almost gone — is not a good start for a first-year NFL head coach trying to install a culture and team identity.
There are also mixed views inside the building about whether the Panthers are truly in a “rebuilding” situation. If the conclusion is drawn they are indeed going to burn it all down and reset, the likelihood of a McCaffrey trade increases to acquire the necessary capital. In that scenario, and without a trade, McCaffrey’s prime would be wasted by the time the team is ready to start winning … and the Panthers would have used tens of millions on McCaffrey that could have been used elsewhere across the roster.
But if general manager Marty Hurney, whose own contract expires after the 2020 season, and Rhule decide the team is closer to winning than public perception would dictate, the likelihood of a long-term extension for their young star increases.
Asked by The Athletic last week whether any players were untouchable, Rhule said: “I don’t know that I would ever say that. I don’t think the great teams ever say that. Now there could be some highly unlikely people or probably not.”
“I was teasing earlier, I said I would trade my son Bryant if it was for the right people,” he added, smiling. “That’s not true. But I’m just saying I think you have to have that mindset, especially early on as a coach.”
[h=3]The Panthers aren’t willing to meet James Bradberry’s price[/h] James Bradberry, the Panthers’ replacement for Josh Norman in 2016, wants to get paid like one of the league’s top cornerbacks, if not the top. But the Panthers are content to let Bradberry look for his big contract elsewhere, unwilling to give the former second-round pick $15 million a year.
The Panthers made an initial offer to Bradberry in November. But the two sides were far enough apart that Bradberry began preparing himself for free agency.
“When (Bradberry’s agent) told me they had talked and we hadn’t quite reached a point of agreement, I pretty much understood I might be heading to free agency or I might get franchise tagged,” Bradberry told The Athletic in December.
Bradberry has never been to a Pro Bowl and doesn’t get his hands on a ton of passes, although he had a career-high three interceptions in 2019. But he’s a dependable cover corner who has held his own the last four seasons against an NFC South trio of receivers — Michael Thomas, Julio Jones and Mike Evans — that are as good as any in the league.
“I feel like I have three of the hardest matchups every year,” Bradberry said in the December interview. “I have to do it six times out of the year.”
There’s a certain coach in Washington who is very familiar with Bradberry, who could find himself replacing Norman again.
The Redskins were among nearly a dozen teams that expressed interest in Bradberry at the combine, according to The Athletic’s Rhiannon Walker.
Whether Bradberry reunites with Ron Rivera or goes elsewhere, the Panthers will need to find a corner in free agency, though they won’t be shopping at the top end.
They’ll also have to draft some depth there, especially if they also part ways with veteran Ross Cockrell.
[h=3]The defensive line exodus is coming[/h] Half of the Panthers’ 14 free agents are defensive linemen. One (Wes Horton) already retired, and a bunch of others will soon be leaving.
Among a group that includes 2019 starters Gerald McCoy, Bruce Irvin, Mario Addison and Vernon Butler, Addison is the only player the Panthers are interested in re-signing — and only on a short, team-friendly deal. The 32-year-old had 9.5 sacks in 2019, his fourth consecutive season with at least nine sacks.
The Panthers are also expected to decline nose tackle Dontari Poe’s $9.8 million option for 2020, according to sources. Poe played well last season, finishing with his highest sack total (four) since 2014 when he was a Pro Bowler with the Chiefs.
But he’s coming off surgery for a torn quadriceps and will turn 30 in August.
The Panthers get Kawann Short, their five-technique, back this year after Short missed all but two games in 2019 following rotator cuff surgery. But they’ll need to find a starting nose tackle in the draft or free agency, along with some interior depth on the interior and exterior line.
Carolina has shown a lot of interest in two premier defensive tackles available in the draft: Auburn’s Derrick Brown and South Carolina’s Javon Kinlaw, and wouldn’t necessarily rule out Kinlaw as a top-10 pick.
[h=3]The latest on Tre Boston[/h] The free safety played the last three seasons on a series of one-year deals with the Cardinals, Chargers and Panthers. But Tre Boston left no doubt he is looking for something more substantial this year.
Boston, 27, has 11 interceptions since the start of the 2017 season. Only six players have more over that span. He also was the Panthers’ fourth-leading tackler last year, though he did also lead the team in missed tackles with 13, according to Pro Football Reference.
Boston brings good energy to the defensive backs’ room and has the type of outgoing personality and leadership skills that would be beneficial to a team going through an overhaul. But, like Bradberry, Boston wants to be paid what he feels he’s worth, and the Panthers won’t get into a bidding war.
[h=3]Offensive line not 100 percent set[/h] Logic would dictate the Panthers go defense heavy in the early rounds of the draft, with needs upcoming in every defensive tier and plenty of viable prospect options.
But Carolina isn’t yet ruling out shoring up its offensive line in what is a remarkably top-heavy tackle class, and met with at least one first-round-caliber tackle last week.
The Panthers are expected to let veteran tackle Daryl Williams become a free agent, and have little depth potential beyond second-year swing player Dennis Daley (who mostly filled in at left tackle as a rookie).
Could the Panthers take a tackle high in the draft?
It depends on what they believe they have in Greg Little, who was supposed to develop into the starter after Hurney traded up for him in the second round last year. Little only appeared in four games after missing time with two concussions and a high ankle sprain. If his long-term health is a concern, the Panthers will have to start over at the position — for the fifth time in as many years.
The Panthers must also decide what to do with left guard Greg Van Roten, who would like to remain in Carolina. A league source expressed optimism in that regard; Van Roten played every snap for the Panthers in 2018, and was on pace to again in 2019 before suffering a toe injury that has since healed. Van Roten would have a healthy albeit non-flashy market in free agency should he choose to pursue that route.
[h=3]Rhule’s staff feels like a fraternity[/h] The Panthers hired another assistant coach, as we reported last week. Not surprisingly, it was another young guy with ties to the coaches already in place.
LSU offensive analyst D.J. Mangas, who played and coached with Panthers offensive coordinator Joe Brady at William & Mary, joins a staff that is heavy with Baylor and Temple connections, and on the light side in terms of NFL experience.
Rhule, whose only NFL experience was one year as the Giants’ assistant offensive line coach, interviewed former NFL head coaches Mike McCoy, Ben McAdoo and Scott Linehan, but passed on all three. (Linehan took Brady’s old job at LSU; McAdoo was hired as quarterbacks coach in Jacksonville.)
Rhule said he had initially planned on hiring a former head coach, but believes his ties to a couple of former coaches, combined with his staffers who do have NFL experience, will be enough.
“Getting Pat Meyer and the experience he’s had as an offensive line coach, and getting Jason Simmons, coming in as a pass game coordinator, kind of used up some of those spots that I was planning on using,” Rhule said.
“And then as I went through it, the ability to get on the phone with Dick Vermeil (and) Tom Coughlin, I said to myself, ‘I have these amazing resources from Hall of Fame coaches.’ So I’ve utilized that probably more than anything else.”
Among Rhule’s 22 coaches, 10 have NFL experience, including five with nine years or more: Simmons, defensive line coach Mike Phair, defensive run game coordinator Al Holcomb, running backs coach Jeff Nixon and quarterbacks coach Jake Peetz.
Peetz and special-teams coordinator Chase Blackburn are the only two holdovers from Rivera’s staff, though Holcomb also coached under Rivera previously.
At the combine, it was rare to see any one coach alone. Former Baylor and Temple players also commented several times during media sessions on the closeness of the group, which was apparent all week even between the former Baylor coaches and less-familiar faces like Brady and Peetz.
While many details of the Panthers’ next few months are unclear, one thing is certain: They won’t have to waste any time getting to know each other.

The article I posted said that Hurney's contract runs out after next season. I guess if you're planning to draft and tank, he's your guy. The plan could be to get someone good in the 1st and then trade the rest of the picks for 2021 picks to have a package that could get Lawrence if we aren't the worst team in the league?

Trai Turner traded to Chargers for Russel Okung.

Giving a 26 year old all pro guard for a 31 year old tackle with health problems and no pick compensation. Hurney is going to destroy this team, again.

Okung only has one year left on his contract before becoming a UFA. Turner has two years.

Well, we have an All Pro LT next season, so that's good.

So how many players do we have left from the Super Bowl team? I think it’s Cam, KK, and Tre.

Of course we keep the one guy who didn't dive on the fumble.

What do you think of a two-headed running back attack of Jordan Scarlett and Reggie Bonnafon (and picks) next season ?

FoolishOffbeatHellbender-small.gif

As much as it would pain me to see, trading CMC isn’t the worst idea if you’re committing to a full rebuild. The team is going nowhere in the next couple of years, don’t waste his prime. His stock cannot get any higher than it already is. Load up on some picks.

As much as it would pain me to see, trading CMC isn’t the worst idea if you’re committing to a full rebuild. The team is going nowhere in the next couple of years, don’t waste his prime. His stock cannot get any higher than it already is. Load up on some picks.

No way if you ask me. He is too young for that. If he was 28, 29, that makes sense. But at 24, I say build the offense around him. Hopefully get Simmons this year and build the defense around him. Might set us up to get Lawrence or Fields next season. And then on offense you would have a nice triple threat when you add in McCaffrey and DJ Moore.

But this would be a perfect scenario that will likely never happen because we have Marty Hurney as a GM who is probably more likely to trade CMac for a late first round pick to reach for a player that we’ve never heard of

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back