• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers - New Season New Thread for 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bridgewater has started 34 games in his career. Of course that's due to a serious injury, but you still can't make a winning percentage comparison between the two. The accuracy comparison is more fair, but you also have to figure in Teddy's 4 (count em, 4) career rushing touchdowns.

34 games is >2 full seasons. It's not like he's some unproven commodity. He's also 28-7 ATS as a starter. Means he/his teams are consistently outperforming expectations.

The WRs sucking doesn't matter. Cam took us to the superbowl with Ted Ginn and Philly Brown.

Okay now do his foot

To me, the foot wasn't the worry. It was reported as a milder lisfranc injury. But when I saw that Thu nite game last year, it looked like he was throwing lobs like he was the 2nd half of 2018 after the shoulder injury. So that had me worried that the shoulder had not completely healed, much like Luck a few years back. Then when he posted his workout tape, it looked like he was moving fine. But unlike the Tua tape, we didn't have video of him throwing. So I was assuming this was the reason no team was signing him 3-4 months ago - they couldn't bring him in to see what the throwing motion looked like.

It is all about his shoulder. I was not a fan of the new throwing motion. I hope he just needed more time to completely heal. He could have a career rebirth on another team like Kurt Warner. I have to think Belichick will come up with more than a standard RPO for him. Cam's "lean" year here was due to having WR's who could not get open, so he was throwing into tighter windows than most QB's. With the Pats WR corps, that could happen again.

IMO...Cam/the Panthers never gave him a chance to fully heal. 2018 cam refused to give up on his team. he wanted go try and help...but he definitely was not healing. then he injures the ankle and never got another chance to prove himself. panthers are going to regret this decision...a lot

IMO...Cam/the Panthers never gave him a chance to fully heal. 2018 cam refused to give up on his team. he wanted go try and help...but he definitely was not healing. then he injures the ankle and never got another chance to prove himself. panthers are going to regret this decision...a lot

While I like Cam and am rooting for him, I don't know that the Panthers are going to regret the decision. As the saying goes, there are a lot of young running QBs but not a lot of old ones. And Cam is on the wrong side of 30. With all the retirements, I can see the club deciding to hit the total rebuild button. They're probably 2-3 years away from having another playoff caliber team, and at that point they'd probably be hitting diminishing returns with Cam. There will be 2-3 QBs in next year's draft that will be regarded as franchise QBs. Makes some sense to go after 1 of those 2 (they should have a high enough pick) and have Teddy mentor that guy for those next 2 years - which is the 1 aspect of the position where he'd be better than Cam.

And next offseason should be interesting again for the QB position because Cam, Aaron and maybe Stafford will be on the market. I'm betting that Detroit sucks again, and they can both the GM and coach and go total rebuild, which would mean getting what they could for Stafford.

106364642_3236817369745234_4177352624606258113_o.jpg

Y’all think Kaep would sign the kinda contract Cam did, if let’s say the Steelers offer him one? Idk.

While I like Cam and am rooting for him, I don't know that the Panthers are going to regret the decision. As the saying goes, there are a lot of young running QBs but not a lot of old ones. And Cam is on the wrong side of 30. With all the retirements, I can see the club deciding to hit the total rebuild button. They're probably 2-3 years away from having another playoff caliber team, and at that point they'd probably be hitting diminishing returns with Cam. There will be 2-3 QBs in next year's draft that will be regarded as franchise QBs. Makes some sense to go after 1 of those 2 (they should have a high enough pick) and have Teddy mentor that guy for those next 2 years - which is the 1 aspect of the position where he'd be better than Cam.

And next offseason should be interesting again for the QB position because Cam, Aaron and maybe Stafford will be on the market. I'm betting that Detroit sucks again, and they can both the GM and coach and go total rebuild, which would mean getting what they could for Stafford.

I don’t really have a problem either with the Panthers moving on from Cam. The Panthers could have handled the PR a lot better - a consistent theme under Tepper. Good for him getting a chance with NE. He was not a long term option given his physical history and current situation.

I've been watching some SEC games from last season on SECN and keeping an eye on Derrick Brown and I'm getting a perma-boner.

lol...he was running onto the field as the play started. HEADY

I've been watching some SEC games from last season on SECN and keeping an eye on Derrick Brown and I'm getting a perma-boner.

I told you guys you were going to like him. He's also supposed to be a great guy. As an interior guy, he won't have great numbers, which is why some scouts discount interior D-linemen. But he's a good run stopper, effs up a lot of plays and should demand double teams. That said, not sure than I would have passed on Simmons. I love what Zona did in the offseason - get the best WR in the game while dumping a bad salary, having Simmons fall to them, still get an OT in the 3rd and get 2 run stuffers in the 4th.

My sources (my nephew is Asst Gm with an NFL team) tells me that Simmons was not well thought of as a person by some teams - including the Panthers. Some were worried about Simmons' character - I didn't get into specifics. Brown was known as a very high character kid across the board. I don't think the Panthers from what I'm told would have taken Simmons even if Brown was gone. We will see how that all plays out.

I think it's as simple as we took BPA (or 2nd, if you rate Simmons higher) at our #1 position of need. It was always trade back if someone tried to overpay or take Brown, IMO.

We took our version of Simmons years ago and paid him.

By the way, a reminder that we took Vernon Butler in 2016 and the next DT picked was Chris Jones who just signed a 4 year, $80M deal with the Chiefs.

We took our version of Simmons years ago and paid him.

By the way, a reminder that we took Vernon Butler in 2016 and the next DT picked was Chris Jones who just signed a 4 year, $80M deal with the Chiefs.

You mean size/ability/position flexibility wise or character wise? If the former, Shaq Thompson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back