• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers - New Season New Thread for 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hurney has a long track record of sucking, but he clearly does the will of the owner whether it be to resign questionable veterans or cut them in a questionable fashion.

I don't get the hate. I mean I enjoyed Cam, when he was healthy, but he's done. I doubt he plays again in the league and certainly not at the 2015 level. This was a smart business decision and the team needs to move on. It's brutal, but it's the NFL.

It's going to be a tough year, but they are positioning themselves for the 2021 QB class which apparently they are high on based on some reports. Best way to do that is cut salary, sign 1 year chumps, let some younger guys try to impress you and spend the next couple of drafts rebuilding.

I don't get the hate. I mean I enjoyed Cam, when he was healthy, but he's done. I doubt he plays again in the league and certainly not at the 2015 level. This was a smart business decision and the team needs to move on. It's brutal, but it's the NFL.

It's going to be a tough year, but they are positioning themselves for the 2021 QB class which apparently they are high on based on some reports. Best way to do that is cut salary, sign 1 year chumps, let some younger guys try to impress you and spend the next couple of drafts rebuilding.

Disagree completely. You have a recently injured, not ancient, former MVP QB on a not-horrible 1-year deal in a year that the team is likely to suck anyway. You use that year as a trial run to see if he can get back to form. If not, absolutely nothing lost and he mutually walks at the end of the deal. But if he is 85% of MVP Cam, you've struck gold again. Those kinds of QBs don't grow on trees, you don't cut them without a replacement in hand. It is the most important, and hardest to find, position in all of sports and there definitely no certainty that they find somebody in the draft.

His numbers for the first half of 2018 were better than his 2015 numbers. Yeah, he got hurt. I guess we'll find out if he's recovered or has anything left in the tank. As Greg Olsen said, I wouldn't bet against him.

Completely agree with 2&2. What Tepper is doing only makes sense if they're banking on Bridgewater as the QB of the future which doesn't make sense.

Given what we know, the optimal plan would have been trade Kyle Allen, keep Cam, sign PJ Walker. If Cam is back to form, he's the guy going forward. If not, play PJ and see if he's a solid backup going forward and either sign a 2021 FA or draft the best QB possible.

Don't forget, we've got a guy in Bridgewater who threw for over 7,500 yards and 38 touchdowns.

In his entire career.

That's the thing. He's not going to be 85% of MVP Cam. People keep expecting that, but he's likely to be the CAM of the last two seasons, which played 8 games? Maybe even worse. Take a chance on a 30 year old RB who plays QB with 2 years of injury history including his throwing arm or move on and save 18 mil which you can use to 'take a chance' on a younger similar QB who gave the team a favorable contract they can get out of in a year or two if the draft pans out.

I don't think anyone believes Bridgewater is going to be a replacement for 2015 Cam, but he has a better shot of being an 80% Cam than Cam does and less likely to be on the IR next season. He is literally a Bridge to our next QB.

If people thought Cam could be 85% of 2015 Cam, we'd have had trade offers blowing our doors down all season and even with the knowledge that we might cut him in recent weeks. NFL GMs don't though. Painful and it sucks for Cam, the fans, the team. It's just reality though.

Bridgewater wasn't 80% Cam in his best year. More like 50% Cam.

That's the thing. He's not going to be 85% of MVP Cam. People keep expecting that, but he's likely to be the CAM of the last two seasons, which played 8 games? Maybe even worse. Take a chance on a 30 year old RB who plays QB with 2 years of injury history including his throwing arm or move on and save 18 mil which you can use to 'take a chance' on a younger similar QB who gave the team a favorable contract they can get out of in a year or two if the draft pans out.

I don't think anyone believes Bridgewater is going to be a replacement for 2015 Cam, but he has a better shot of being an 80% Cam than Cam does and less likely to be on the IR next season. He is literally a Bridge to our next QB.

If people thought Cam could be 85% of 2015 Cam, we'd have had trade offers blowing our doors down all season and even with the knowledge that we might cut him in recent weeks. NFL GMs don't though. Painful and it sucks for Cam, the fans, the team. It's just reality though.

Pretty much sums it up for me. I am a fan of Cam and enjoyed having him as a Panther. He was fun to watch. He has been a pale image of himself the last two years.

It is odd that not a single team even was willing to trade a very late round pick on a flyer. At worst it’s a one year investment

Well I think Bridgewater’s three year $63mm deal allows the Panthers to get out of it early much cheaper. I think the Panthers are pretty confident Cam wasn’t going to be back healthy. May as well have Bridgewater play this year and give you a fighting chance this season and get some fannies in the seats. If you get a high draft pick for a good QB in 2021 you can still have Bridgewater carry some load in the kid’s rookie season and let the guy learn watching him. Or you can release Bridgewater fairly cheaply.
Word on the street is that Tepper was tired of Cam’s weirdness. I think he was just ready to totally change that locker room. And again, my bet is that the Panthers - who obviously would in the right position to know better than anyone - have info that makes them confident Cam wasn’t going to be the same at least this season.

Well I think Bridgewater’s three year $63mm deal allows the Panthers to get out of it early much cheaper. I think the Panthers are pretty confident Cam wasn’t going to be back healthy. May as well have Bridgewater play this year and give you a fighting chance this season and get some fannies in the seats. If you get a high draft pick for a good QB in 2021 you can still have Bridgewater carry some load in the kid’s rookie season and let the guy learn watching him. Or you can release Bridgewater fairly cheaply.
Word on the street is that Tepper was tired of Cam’s weirdness. I think he was just ready to totally change that locker room. And again, my bet is that the Panthers - who obviously would in the right position to know better than anyone - have info that makes them confident Cam wasn’t going to be the same at least this season.

Geez. He's a weird dude. No doubt about that. But it's a locker room of 65 guys in their 20s and 30s. There's going to be some weird dudes.

Yes, but Cam is a weird celebrity. I think that’s what was bothering Tepper.

Again, I don’t know. Just the word on the street around Charlotte

Geez. He's a weird dude. No doubt about that. But it's a locker room of 65 guys in their 20s and 30s. There's going to be some weird dudes.

You have a bad owner if he wants to get rid of weird celebrity football players. You're going to have some.

The thing about Cam is you just don't know. The 1st half of 2018 he did play at a high level. But then after the shoulder injury, he couldn't throw it more than 20 yards downfield. I watched the 2nd game last year on that Thur nite, and I saw the same thing. Lack of arm strength is a QB killer. It got Peyton Manning, and I think it's gotten Rivers, which is why I think the Colts were crazy to pay him $25mil. They'd have been better off with Brissett and drafting Jeudy/Ruggs/Lamb at #13. You figure Cam will eventually recover from the foot injury, but if that shoulder is still lingering, he could be in trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if he's done or if he has another 5 solid years.

I think y'all are underestimating how much of a noodle arm Cam has after his injuries. Factor that in with his inability/desire to run the ball and his career is effectively over.

Disagree completely. You have a recently injured, not ancient, former MVP QB on a not-horrible 1-year deal in a year that the team is likely to suck anyway. You use that year as a trial run to see if he can get back to form. If not, absolutely nothing lost and he mutually walks at the end of the deal. But if he is 85% of MVP Cam, you've struck gold again. Those kinds of QBs don't grow on trees, you don't cut them without a replacement in hand. It is the most important, and hardest to find, position in all of sports and there definitely no certainty that they find somebody in the draft.

agree 100% with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back