• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Inside the slow death of Wake Forest basketball: A motorcycle, silence and stubborn h

I mean, the article is full of pretty much indisputable facts, and it paints Wake Forest basketball in an incredibly negative light. Without a coaching change having happened yet, there's nothing Currie can say that would inject some optimism into that, so I get why he chose to not comment. Hopefully this is the sort of article that he will have a comment for in a couple months in the form of a new, promising head coach.

Agreed.

Can somebody paste the article? I can't get behind the paywall and I'm not paying to read about our shitstain of a program.

Eh? I sure as fuck don't pay for the Charlotte Observer and I could read it.

This might be a 'you' problem.

You get a few free stories a month, then they lock you out dv7. I had the same problem too, until I clicked on it in incognito mode.

Really good article, and I am glad it showed up in the NO/CO - as they routinely ignore WFU to please their base with UNC propaganda. Carter is a UNC shill, actually was in attendance during the final UNC/NCAA meetings in KC. But, he did do a good job painting the picture of the empty chasm that is LJVM. Big miss by Currie to not comment. Also, a HUGE miss not to go after Hatch and WFU for completely ignoring/forgetting about The WFU basketball program and letting Wellman burn it the hell down.

I mean, I like Dino, I truly do, but he did insinuate he was going to take legal action against OGBoards (still not even sure if that would have been possible) and me personally after emailing me concerning the rumors that started with the Ath Dept that were circulating on this site. He also left me a voicemail IIRC.

And I'm still not even sure how he got my email addy/cell phone number. Dino even brought up my soccer coaching history on the call and mentioned Sandusky (as in, what if a young boy claimed something salacious against me that I coached), this was in 2012. It was absolutely surreal. But I do remember telling him, "Well, I don't go into any private areas 1 on 1 with any of my players, we are always out in the open training or playing. I'm certain that is not something I need to worry about."

I get the guy was protecting his reputation while trying to get back into coaching, but I remember his tone (and his wife *sternly talking* in the background) as very aggressive. Almost like he was trying to lecture me, and I'm sitting there thinking, "why is this guy coming after me? I had fuck all to do with the rumor starting or spreading!" But this here OGBoards forum was just getting started, Dino was one of our WFU own, and none of us had any intention of harming his potential employment opportunities. Over a few conversations with Dino (2 or 3 tops total) we came to an understanding and dealt with the baseless rumors of co-ed nonsense or infidelity, etc etc etc. Baseless references were removed and Dino never contacted me, or any of the mod team, again.

I'm glad Dino now has a pretty sweet gig as an assistant at Louisville and I just saw on my google machine that they are #5 in the nation! Good for them! (I don't watch college basketball anymore, my joy for that sport is D-E-D, dead.) But I will never forget those emails and phone calls with the great Gaudino in 2012. That shit was WILD, y'all.

Point is, he might be a good dude. But I don't think he handled that situation very well.

The mod team at the time, most still "mods" now, can vouch for this craziness as we were talking about it in the mod forum back then.

Stick to "kickball".

As usual, you no clue what you are talking about. Don't be bothered by telling "WHOLE truth". You only parse what fits your narrative. Yyou have NEVER changed and NEVER will. SAD.

Sooooooo keep promoting your LIE. Telling it over and over and over will NEVER make it true.

But of course that's as bad as people actually hacking RJ's account here and attempting other locations.

The patetic one is, was and ALWAYS will be you.

Good article but one major fail. No effort (at least not noted) to interview Ron Wellman. Wellman was the destroyer of Wake Forest basketball with a series of disastrous coaching hires and, of course, the most stupid contract extension in college athletic history. The writer should have hounded Wellman and noted if Wellman refused to comment.

Another note: major PR fail on Currie's part for refusing to comment for the story. This is a major newspaper asking legitimate questions and Currie should never have refused to speak on the record.

My thoughts as well. Good post.

Good article but one major fail. No effort (at least not noted) to interview Ron Wellman. Wellman was the destroyer of Wake Forest basketball with a series of disastrous coaching hires and, of course, the most stupid contract extension in college athletic history. The writer should have hounded Wellman and noted if Wellman refused to comment.

Another note: major PR fail on Currie's part for refusing to comment for the story. This is a major newspaper asking legitimate questions and Currie should never have refused to speak on the record.

Good points. We will have a much better idea what kind of AD we hired within the next 2-3 months. I'm not holding my breath but maybe he'll pleasantly surprise all of us!

I mean it's a little over the top, but I can see where he is coming from. I would be unhappy as well if someone was operating a site that allowed those baseless accusations swirl about myself or anyone close to me. Having said that it is pretty hard to manage what is being discussed on a message board 100% of the time. Especially one that is rightfully pretty wide open about most subjects.

Not gonna hold that one against Dino.

Eh, I understand why he would have been angry, but his anger was mis-directed and he basically tried to bully and threaten a small online discussion group.

I'm actually okay with Manning's comments. I believe the part about him being guarded is true. Nothing wrong with that, but it does make him poorly suited to coaching at the D1 level. Let's acknowledge that it hasn't worked out and move on.

I tend to agree with this. I don't think Manning is a bad person or an asshole... I just think he has a guarded personality and a stubborn belief that he's a good coach. He isn't.

It's Wellman's fault for the contract and the ball is in Currie's court to fix this in the next couple of months.

Back