• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Inside the slow death of Wake Forest basketball: A motorcycle, silence and stubborn h

Eh, I understand why he would have been angry, but his anger was mis-directed and he basically tried to bully and threaten a small online discussion group.

Yep, but that's the price you pay for being on top of this pyramid scheme.

"Indeed, things have not been easy, especially during the past six years, but "that's life," he said."

"that's life"? Is that really what you want the coach of your flagship program, that's been in the dumpster for 5 of his 6 years, to be saying?

That about sums up DM, as a coach, for me.

DM = earned $55M as an NBA basketball player. 'That's life.'

The only thing that will improve the disaster that is Wake basketball is the firing of Manning followed by the hiring of a coach who will bring energy and passion back to the program and in turn its dwindling fan base. I have zero interest in hearing Curie's reaction to an article that only echos what he's sat through at every home game since he's been here. Anything he says between know and the end of the season/Manning's dismissal is just "AD speak"; nothing of value to parse from it.

"Indeed, things have not been easy, especially during the past six years, but "that's life," he said."

"that's life"? Is that really what you want the coach of your flagship program, that's been in the dumpster for 5 of his 6 years, to be saying?

Sort of the equivalent of the “they made adjustments, what are you supposed to do” mentality.

I wonder what drives Manning? He just seems to have no passion. Is it really just the money that gets him out of bed every morning? Doing everything it takes to win doesn’t seem to be his motivator. Does he just enjoy the process, the ‘stacking of one practice on top of another,’ regardless of the outcome just because he likes coaching?

At this point it’s too late to know and I guess I don’t really care. But it would be a good thing to know about our next coach from the beginning.

"That's the way the cookie crumbles.......3 million dollars please!"

tenor.gif

I mean, I like Dino, I truly do, but he did insinuate he was going to take legal action against OGBoards (still not even sure if that would have been possible) and me personally after emailing me concerning the rumors that started with the Ath Dept that were circulating on this site. He also left me a voicemail IIRC.

And I'm still not even sure how he got my email addy/cell phone number. Dino even brought up my soccer coaching history on the call and mentioned Sandusky (as in, what if a young boy claimed something salacious against me that I coached), this was in 2012. It was absolutely surreal. But I do remember telling him, "Well, I don't go into any private areas 1 on 1 with any of my players, we are always out in the open training or playing. I'm certain that is not something I need to worry about."

I get the guy was protecting his reputation while trying to get back into coaching, but I remember his tone (and his wife *sternly talking* in the background) as very aggressive. Almost like he was trying to lecture me, and I'm sitting there thinking, "why is this guy coming after me? I had fuck all to do with the rumor starting or spreading!" But this here OGBoards forum was just getting started, Dino was one of our WFU own, and none of us had any intention of harming his potential employment opportunities. Over a few conversations with Dino (2 or 3 tops total) we came to an understanding and dealt with the baseless rumors of co-ed nonsense or infidelity, etc etc etc. Baseless references were removed and Dino never contacted me, or any of the mod team, again.

I'm glad Dino now has a pretty sweet gig as an assistant at Louisville and I just saw on my google machine that they are #5 in the nation! Good for them! (I don't watch college basketball anymore, my joy for that sport is D-E-D, dead.) But I will never forget those emails and phone calls with the great Gaudino in 2012. That shit was WILD, y'all.

Point is, he might be a good dude. But I don't think he handled that situation very well.

The mod team at the time, most still "mods" now, can vouch for this craziness as we were talking about it in the mod forum back then.

Hell, Brad stated the exact same thing last week.

Sort of the equivalent of the “they made adjustments, what are you supposed to do” mentality.

I wonder what drives Manning? He just seems to have no passion. Is it really just the money that gets him out of bed every morning? Doing everything it takes to win doesn’t seem to be his motivator. Does he just enjoy the process, the ‘stacking of one practice on top of another,’ regardless of the outcome just because he likes coaching?

At this point it’s too late to know and I guess I don’t really care. But it would be a good thing to know about our next coach from the beginning.

This is always the fear with former gifted star players. Do they really understand what it takes to bring together less gifted athletes and turn them into something more than what they are individually.

And we've now got a coaching staff filled with mostly gifted ex-players. You have to wonder what they talk about in the coaches meetings. 'man I don't get why these kids find it so hard to play this game'.

There is a huge difference between having the super elite talent/ability and working to fulfill your potential (Manning, Childress) and working as hard as you can just to make the team, get minutes and maybe start.

What has DM's life been?

He was a 6-10 kid that was coordinated and could play basketball.
- highly recruited - probably never a though of not going to a P5 team - IIRC it was Kansas vs. UNC in the end. His dad winds up coaching at KU and he follows.
- Top coach, with some questionable character flaws around recruiting, but works and refines his game
- Drafted by he Clippers (that's life) but paid millions
- Blows out his knee 3 times (that's life) still paid millions
- NBA career highlights 2 all star team 2 6th man of the year awards (that's life)
- Retires and team manager at Kansas (3yrs)
- Assistant coach at Kansas (6 yrs)
- Tulsa 2 years with a 2nd team that turns season around to which DM says he didn't change anything to get them to the NCAA's etc (that's life)
- Hired by a desperate Wake AD
- Given extension after one winning season and an NCAA 1st 4 appearance with a $18M buy out (that's life)
- Loses 20 games the next two seasons (that's life)

Observer gives the world the greatest negative recruiting tool ever. Currie simply can't get by this article.

The saddest part is that no one actually needs to negative recruit against Wake. The facts simply speak for themselves. We have become completely irrelevant.

Yeah, Campbell University could use that article against us as they try to land #394 rated Tariq Ingraham or whomever.

Any article attempting to explain the death of WF basketball that contains Wellman's name only twice is NOT a "well-written" article.

Good article. Negative publicity can only add to the pressure to dump DM, and that is the endgame here.

Disagree strongly with Dino that Manning inherited a 5-6 year rebuild. We are more than 30 years into the early departures being the norm. Rebuilds don’t take that long, and they don’t happen at all if you suck every year, obviously.

Back