• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Inside the slow death of Wake Forest basketball: A motorcycle, silence and stubborn h

Judging what Currie has done at his past AD stops, it appears that he went with the nuclear option several times, and it didn't turn out that great for him. So, maybe this time, he is trying to appease Wellman, the gray hairs, the Shahs, the Suttons, but will be ready to move in March.

He’s not dealing at Wake with anything like them nut job lunatic fringe administration and fan base he dealt with at Tennessee. Whatever backlash he gets for a move will pale in comparison.

And you would have genuinely been happy with that statement? I find it hard to believe that after a statement like that from Currie in this article, people here would have been upbeat or pleased with our AD saying that. The prevailing sentiment on this board (which is one I wouldn't agree with but that's besides the point) would have been:

"He's a Wellman-clone, I won't believe a word out of his mouth until he does something." or "Just heaping empty promises onto a pile of shit like always."

Until he actually does something about it, none of us are going to really sit up and notice or care, and I think his choice to say nothing means that it's more likely that he plans to do something than if he tried to soften the blow of that article by adding a statement.

exactly. there is literally nothing Currie can say right now without firing Manning that would appease the fan base.

so he should say nothing and fire Manning immediately following out exit from the ACC tournament

by the way, I've had the tv on for a few minutes of BC at VT and GT at Pitt today. WFU has at best the 13th-best home atmosphere in the ACC (maybe better than Miami and BC)

The fact that we don't have the worst atmosphere is an accomplishment given how consistently bad we've been.

That rumor did not start at the Athletic Department. No one there was going to spread that nonsense.

Look, you can have disagreements all day with your boss, but the minute you start giving him attitude, or rudely implying that he does not know what he's talking about, you cannot expect to continue to have a long career in your current position. Mr Wellman had overlooked quite a few things over the past three years, but some things were starting to get out of hand.

That's pretty much what happened here. It's not a secret by any means.
I thought this guy got banned?

DINO
2007–08 Wake Forest 17–13 7–9 T–7th
2008–09 Wake Forest 24–7 11–5 T–2nd NCAA Division I First Round
2009–10 Wake Forest 20–11 9–7 5th NCAA Division I Second Round

Wake Forest: 61–31 (.663) 27–21 (.563)

DANNY
2014–15 Wake Forest 13–19 5–13 12th
2015–16 Wake Forest 11–20 2–16 13th
2016–17 Wake Forest 19–14 9–9 10th NCAA Division I First Four
2017–18 Wake Forest 11–20 4–14 14th
2018–19 Wake Forest 11–20 4–14 13th

65–93 (.411) 24–66 (.267)

Last edited:
There is NO reason to wait for the season to end to fire that dumb bastard

Wake can't afford to NOT buy him out. While none of us (apparently) knows the details of the contract, I can estimate that Wake is probably losing pretty close to that $3m a year figure in lost revenue ... ticket sales, concession/parking revenue, apparel sales, Deacon Club donations. I call BS on the contention that Wake cannot afford to can Manning. Wake cannot afford to NOT do it. Every year Manning is here, the hole gets deeper and the finances get worse.

alpha, it cannot get any more real than what you just stated. Deaconland cannot afford to keep this assclown of a coach that our past Athletics Director saw fit to give a huge extension to. We are losing millions of dollars in revenue by keeping him. The line has to be drawn in the sand and he has to be gone the week he loses his final game.

alpha, it cannot get any more real than what you just stated. Deaconland cannot afford to keep this assclown of a coach that our past Athletics Director saw fit to give a huge extension to. We are losing millions of dollars in revenue by keeping him. The line has to be drawn in the sand and he has to be gone the week he loses his final game.

1000%. If Currie fired him and made a splashy big time hire, next season I would revert right back to my traditional WFU basketball fandom (planning my schedule around games, getting super attached, and cheering like crazy). I'm craving getting back to that. Right now, like most of you, I barely even check the box score.

ACC Power Rankings - The Athletic

"Goodman’s report suggests this year’s buyout would be $15 million, although multiple Wake sources insist it’s not quite that high. Regardless of the exact number, Currie knows the rampant apathy around the program is expensive in a different way."

Goodman has stick with his erroneous position after standing by it so often last year.

Goodman has stick with his erroneous position after standing by it so often last year.

Lol...says the guy who is adamant he knows things and makes up sources he can't tell us about to prove it.

“it’s not quite that high.”

lol

There’s confirmation it is exactly what Goodman says it is.

Ron Wellman is a fucking incompetent buffoon. Unbelievable.

Back