• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Primary

Due to the chance of a brokered convention, I expect the top 4-6 to stay in the race for most of the primary.

Due to the chance of a brokered convention, I expect the top 4-6 to stay in the race for most of the primary.

Along these lines, what if money shows up to keep people in the race? What if SuperPacs surface to keep all the candidates in the battle?

It might be cheaper for Bloomberg to finance others staying in to guarantee a brokered convention than for him to keep spending millions per day.

Yeah, she was my pick too, but she ran right the fuck off that cliff somehow.

28ec7cf2e33cb2f9bdb0b4d99864059c.jpg

Bloomberg has spent $350MM on ads, which represents ~0.5% of his net worth. I don't think he's worried about penny pinching at this point.

Bloomberg has spent $350MM on ads, which represents ~0.5% of his net worth. I don't think he's worried about penny pinching at this point.

That's what I'm saying. If he put up $20M for the other candidates to keep them in the race, it wouldn't be much of a loss for him. Just a cost of doing business.

As long as his people create SuperPACs that don't have to report where they got their $$.

Why would Bloomberg want a brokered convention? Just to stop Bernie?

Good grief what a stupid thing for people to get upset about.

Running for president seems like it would absolutely suck.

Well, we already know he is a fascist, so this is just another damning bit of evidence. He’s basically advocating for a return to slavery with “I’ll take all the black money I can get!”

The key for Bloomberg or for a brokered convention is to keep 3-5 people in the race through April. If 3+ people are consistently getting 15% of the vote, it will become mathematically impossible to reach the total to win on the first ballot.

That's the only he can win. After the first ballot, people can vote for whomever they choose.

At that point it will be all Dem delegates, elected Dems, and party insiders. I'd hope a majority wouldn't be willing to hand the party over to Michael Bloomberg.

At that point it will be all Dem delegates, elected Dems, and party insiders. I'd hope a majority wouldn't be willing to hand the party over to Michael Bloomberg.

I'm still hoping they will choose Sherrod Brown over Bloomberg. The only downside for Brown is it would mean Dems would need to win another Senate seat.

I'm still hoping against hope the party can convince Steve Bullock to run for Senate from Montana. He would win a seat that isn't really in play otherwise. Tester and everyone else need to pressure Bullock into running.

Why is it assumed that Bloomberg needs a brokered convention to win?

There are 3979 Democratic delegates, and before Super Tuesday (when Bloomberg will first appear on the primary ballot), only 4 small states Iowa, NH, SC and NV will have held primaries. Those states account for a total of 155 delegates or less than .5% of the total number of Dem delegates. On Super Tuesday, 1357 delegates will be at stake. If Bloomberg does well on March 2, don't see why its impossible for him to become the Dem favorite.

Understand that Politicos get spun up about the early primaries, but in this case, a nominal number of delegates will be divided among 5 candidates which seems unlikely to have any long term impact on the race for the Dem nominee.

I'm still hoping they will choose Sherrod Brown over Bloomberg. The only downside for Brown is it would mean Dems would need to win another Senate seat.

I'm still hoping against hope the party can convince Steve Bullock to run for Senate from Montana. He would win a seat that isn't really in play otherwise. Tester and everyone else need to pressure Bullock into running.

In what world would a brokered convention churning out a guy who didn’t even want to run in the first place be a good scenario?

In what world would a brokered convention churning out a guy who didn’t even want to run in the first place be a good scenario?

As a compromise. It could keep Bloomberg getting the nod and pissing off millions of people. Brown is very progressive and very tough which could mollify the Bernie/Warren wing.

This popped up on my Facebook feed today. Don’t know about the legitimacy though.

8908514640ed381fef4540a60572eab8.jpg

Back