• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Primary

I’m pretty against mandatory military conscription, but dig the idea of civil service. I don’t trust the government to pull it off considering what’s higher up on the agenda, but it’s a nice idea.

No one I've heard who has proposed this at the national level has said mandatory military. It's always been military or civil service. And I think it's 1 of the few things that could generate bipartisan support. I heard Ben Sasse talk about it on NPR once. That and criminal sentencing reform are 2 of the few issues that Congress could actually tackle in a bipartisan manner.

Sig, I just want you to know that I love you man.

Finally got around to reading this. When Carville went to LSU it cost like $50 a semester.

It cost about $2400-2700 for tuition or so, room and board, tuition and everything for my entire freshman year.

It's shame we'll probably never get hear him call Kim Jong Un that in person.

Finally got around to reading this. When Carville went to LSU it cost like $50 a semester.

But he's correct that that isn't a winning issue that you can get half the country to support. If you have high GSLs, get on an income contingent repayment plan. Better yet, work in the public sector and get them administratively discharged much quicker. Same thing with giving incarcerated folks the vote and abolishing ICE. Raising these issues in a national political campaign does not increase our chances of winning this Fall. Neither is running against the economy, which is mostly doing well (although we're running up massive deficits). He's right - talk about issues that speak to everyone like health care, medicare and social security. You may not like him (and he's not my favorite person), but the guy knows how to run winning campaigns.

Biden is getting awfully snappy these days. I've always kinda liked him, but his time has so passed, and he needs to exit stage left. Carville was also correct about Biden. His entry took too much air out for some of the other folks like Booker and Bennet, who are both probably better general election candidates than the current top 5.

But he's correct that that isn't a winning issue that you can get half the country to support. If you have high GSLs, get on an income contingent repayment plan. Better yet, work in the public sector and get them administratively discharged much quicker. Same thing with giving incarcerated folks the vote and abolishing ICE. Raising these issues in a national political campaign does not increase our chances of winning this Fall. Neither is running against the economy, which is mostly doing well (although we're running up massive deficits). He's right - talk about issues that speak to everyone like health care, medicare and social security. You may not like him (and he's not my favorite person), but the guy knows how to run winning campaigns.

Eh this tweet and a lot of the other headlines going around are pretty misleading. If you just read the text, it looks horrible. When you watch the video, he says it in a joking tone and both the voter and audience laughs. Apparently he’s used the term before...it’s a John Wayne reference.

That being said, definitely not the wisest thing to say, especially given some of the other unfortunate interactions he’s had with voters plus the fact that the reference likely goes over the head of 80% of voters (myself included).

1) seems like it does poll well https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/4...support-free-college-eliminating-student-debt

2) forgive me for not knowing but who has Carville had success with since Bill 30 years ago? Seemed like he was great at conservative Dem campaigns like Zell Miller and such, but I don’t really know why he’s relevant in 2020.

Exactly. 2016 should have ended a lot of Dem pundit/strategist careers that were rooted in the 90s. But Carville, Begala, Brazile, McAuffile, and some others should be fading away.

Mandatory peace corps is fascist? Words have no meaning.

Depending on what exactly this means, it could be a way to undercut wages by having unpaid highschool grads do certain jobs instead.

So the people who knew better yet still haven't figured out how to out-maneuver the rubes after 4 years despite all of the resources at their disposal are smarter and superior to the rubes?

Interesting theory

Well, you see, Angus, there's an awful lot of rubes out there, especially people like you who hate the libs so much that you'll do anything to piss them off, like vote for Donald Trump. I'm sure you've heard the old saying that there's a sucker born every minute. And, yes, the people who opposed (and still oppose) Donald Trump and warned about what he was like are indeed wiser than the people we've all read endlessly about who blindly believe everything Trump says, like you. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that those same people are guaranteed to win elections. But, hey, you're owning the libs, Angus! Aren't you so proud of your great and beloved POTUS!

Last edited:
Depending on what exactly this means, it could be a way to undercut wages by having unpaid highschool grads do certain jobs instead.

So Pete's for slavery.

For Pete's sake. It's amazing how you all get triggered by the most innocuous things Pete does, especially when you don't bother to actually read the whole thing.
https://peteforamerica.com/policies/a-new-call-to-service/

Where did you all get "mandatory" from? There's nothing mandatory here. It's an option for HS grads who want to take time to do public service. They're not unpaid. It specifically says "paid service opportunities." It's specifically an alternative to military service.

3steps_web-1.original.jpg

I used the word mandatory above because that’s what I was thinking about, not because I was familiar with Buttigieg’s proposal.

It would be better to have it available, attractive, and optional, probably.

Back