• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NASCAR 2021 - Goodyear 400 - Darlington 3pm

OK. Has your roommate ever actually attended a NASCAR race and been mistreated there, or did he just make an assessment and decision that he (vehemently) did not want to go? (which, of course, is entirely his prerogative)

There are a host of places or events that I might be asked whether I wanted to go/attend, to which my response might be "Hell, No!" My distaste or choice not to attend/go may be just as much a reflection on me as it is on that place/event.

you wanna really wanna die on the "NASCAR races are actually really welcoming with no problematic elements" hill?

lol

they openly flew confederate flags for decades

not the place for don't knock it til you try it

19deac92 - Have you ever asked a black person who has attended NASCAR races whether they have any experienced any disrespect at one?

In response to a conclusory statement by RJ, I'm merely asking for him or someone else to provide me with first hand knowledge of a black person who actually attended a NASCAR event actually being mistreated there. Do you have any?

I'm pretty sure as a Jew I wouldn't be welcome at a Neo-Nazi rally. If you are black person and see a plethora of stars and bars on trucks, shirts, butts and other places, you can assume you aren't welcome or that it might be dangerous.

I have spoken with a number of black friends over the years about NASCAR. The responses are almost always either shaking their heads or laughing about going to a race.

NASCAR has a problem. Maybe they are moving away from it, but the reality is a lot of black people want nothing to do with it for years to come. Maybe someday.

In response to a conclusory statement by RJ, I'm merely asking for him or someone else to provide me with first hand knowledge of a black person who actually attended a NASCAR event actually being mistreated there. Do you have any?

Do you?

My father was a stock car driver before he got married, and he drug us kids to races all up and down the east coast because he missed it so much (we thought it was boring, hot, and LOUD - so we always had to be bribed!) :) Anyhoo, I've been to more short track, road track and super speedway races than I can count, so I feel educated enough to say - minorities are not foolish to avoid them. The majority of the crowd is fine, but there will always be very angry, very drunk and very bigoted men spoiling for trouble. And as a minority you're gonna stick out like a sore thumb.

I keep trying to drag a Korean friend of mine to go see races at a local short track, and he always looks at me like I'm mad and says "No. Fucking. Way. What have I done that you want me killed?" And he's a HUGE race fan. Mostly F1, though.

19deac92 - Have you ever asked a black person who has attended NASCAR races whether they have any experienced any disrespect at one?

VERY limited sample of one, but a black guy I worked with back in the 90's was a huge NASCAR fan; caught every race at Charlotte, The Rock, Darlington and North Wilkesboro. He'd come in to work on Monday after the race, and the standard line was that he never had to buy a beer or a burger; folks wouod come up to him and offer to have him hang with their crowd. He never had anyone say a negative thing to his face, but of course he figured there were more than a few who may have said things behind his back. But again, folks probably recognized that he was likely out of his comfort zone and could use could use a few friendly gestures. I've experienced the same thing as being the only white guy at a church service; often get the royal treatment (including ushered down to the front row which ain't my thing, but hey you go with it).

VERY limited sample of one, but a black guy I worked with back in the 90's was a huge NASCAR fan; caught every race at Charlotte, The Rock, Darlington and North Wilkesboro. He'd come in to work on Monday after the race, and the standard line was that he never had to buy a beer or a burger; folks wouod come up to him and offer to have him hang with their crowd. He never had anyone say a negative thing to his face, but of course he figured there were more than a few who may have said things behind his back. But again, folks probably recognized that he was likely out of his comfort zone and could use could use a few friendly gestures. I've experienced the same thing as being the only white guy at a church service; often get the royal treatment (including ushered down to the front row which ain't my thing, but hey you go with it).

WHY DID YOU GO TO CHURCH ?!?!?!?!? STAY AT HOME YOU SELFISH JERK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For all of our black posters, would you rather go to a NASCAR race, or go to an Eagles game wearing a Cowboys jersey?

Regardless of anecdotes on either side about minority experiences at NASCAR races, is anyone going to double down on the reactionary talking point from a segment of NASCAR fans that Bubba was playing the victim based on the picture of the rope, the NASCAR provided specifics, and the NASCAR contextual background (confederate flags a plenty)?

My thought is that rope is a noose and it doesn’t make any sense why you’d tie the rope off that way for the garage. And even if you don’t think it’s a noose, do you think it’s over reactionary for a crew member for Bubba to see the rope and think it’s a noose?

For all of our black posters, would you rather go to a NASCAR race, or go to an Eagles game wearing a Cowboys jersey?

If The Vet was still open and it was about the 700 Level, it's a no brainer. As the Redskins guy who showed up dressed like a chief and left the building in his underpants only.

You have to get people to the race. The black people I've known wouldn't even consider going and it is completely understandable. Perception is reality.

The damn noose had been there since 2019. There were no other ropes tied like it at any NASCAR venue. NASCAR did handle it at this point, but why the fuck was it allowed to stay there for a year with nothing happening?

Do you think some black may look at it and think the same thing?

You have to get people to the race. The black people I've known wouldn't even consider going and it is completely understandable. Perception is reality.

RJ, if you came to my home town and just drove down MLK Blvd., I'm pretty sure your perception would be that it's not a place where you'd feel safe walking after dark, or having your wife or kids hanging out during the day at the local playground. That perception may or may not be reality, but you'd never know w/o having an open mind and giving it a try.

RJ, if you came to my home town and just drove down MLK Blvd., I'm pretty sure your perception would be that it's not a place where you'd feel safe walking after dark, or having your wife or kids hanging out during the day at the local playground. That perception may or may not be reality, but you'd never know w/o having an open mind and giving it a try.

I used to play ball with a number of black guys, did music with more and have other friends. The response I gave was one from them over many years. It will take more than banning the Confederate flag to encourage people of color to change concepts that have been held for decades.

Back