• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread 2.0

In the post for this story, we did include this awesome picture of Charlie Scott against the Deacs in a game we actually won!

P081_NTBR2_002061_14-1024x660.jpg

oh chupe i will defs be spinning this over the weekend.

Sure thing my dudes.

Tough to name my favorite OK Computer song, but I think this is it.

Yeah man,

Pull me out of the air crash/pull me out of the lake. That's the peak of the album for me when they hit that shit.

lucky is really fun on the ole guitar too

god this livestream is making me so happy

Also, new Bob Dylan announced coming out June 19th. And he released another new tune, which sounded pretty good to me. But today is all about Jer and pals. It was Kreutzmann's birthday yesterday.

Think I've talked about this before, but we have family friends who retired in Hawaii. Their son moved out there after college and started a farm and has a weed growing license to distribute too. The old dude is a big Head and goes to Kreutzmann's NYE party every year, and the son sells Bill all his weed. The old lady is not into the Dead at all, went to a show with us once and walked around with a big bottle of hand sanitizer offering it to everyone she saw.

also @kory if you're still digging the dead and are looking for a consensus high water mark of their live career, barton hall is up there in the all time great shows

Awesome. Kreutzmann seems like a good dude, and I think somehow he is underrated as a drummer. I wonder if he partied with Walter Becker on Hawaii.

I was a little bummed when my Bay Area trip got postponed because I wanted to maybe check out Sweet Water and Terrapin Crossroads, since we were going to be in/near San Rafael.

i also really like 5/26/77 and 11/6/77

77 was the best year i think

here's how i conceptualize the eras of the dead

late 60s up to 71 there were some awesome acoustic/electric split shows and they were doing a lot of folk and country tunes

for a while they rocked the two drummer two keyboard combo with pigpen and constanten, and Live/Dead in 69 is also outstanding

starting in the 70s they got Robert Hunter writing lyrics for them and a new era really began with Workingman's Dead and American Beauty

Mickey left the band for a few years in the early 70s bc his dad, who managed their finances, was stealing from the band, and instead of replacing him they added keith, which would eventually bring donna

pigpen's death in london in 72 was really the end of the first era of the dead, and 72 had three incredible releases, europe 72, blues for allah, and wake of the flood

the latter half of the 70s was the least commercially successful but the most creative imo, with terrapin station and then really incorporating more funk into their sound with shakedown street

keith died in a car accident in 80, and donna left the band then, and brent joined, and in the 80s they had some mainstream radio success with touch of gray. the wheels start to come off (for me anyway) with brent's death in 90.

i personally think the most interesting period is the second half of the 70s, but you can go deep on nearly any 3 year stretch of their career and dig into different sounds their lineup were bringing

say what you will about donna, but the stretch from 74-79 was the most stable the band was with mickey back and donna and keith bringing the harmonies

only thing for me is I wish the late 70s era had some organ. and Donna not singing on Playing in the Band

ole jerome's guitar on this barton hall el paso is so slick

After I feed this baby gonna take him upstairs in my office and crank Barton for us

Shakedown Stream was p good last night. Bobby on the pre-show. Best line when asked about why they didn't play Lost Sailor more was like, "well, for a time there I was into writing complicated songs. And the guys just didn't put in the work. I should have considered the tools as I did the medium." DANG BOBBY!!! Something like that, anyway, it was hilarious.

Anyway, I made it to Drums in the show -- it was a pretty decent time. Pony tail night with the Dead. Bobby with a p tail (and some barrettes to keep it in place to cover the bald spot?), Mickey with a pony tail, and Jer with a pony tail. Pony tail night with the Dead.

The Lost Sailor > Saint of Circumstance was one of the highlights for me at the Meet Up At The Movies Meadowlands show last summer. I don't think I had heard Lost Sailor before that, but not sure. Still learning, ever humble in my Dead education. My Dead-ucation.

Back