• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread 2.0

HUH?

A lot of people may not know that Townshend sat in with the Dead. Many of the Dead's YouTubes have millions of views. This one has 50,000 or so. Thus, not all that many people know much about this show.

gotcha

on a different note, been on a bit of a Fishbone run this week. Just love these guys. mandatory busing of kids from Slauson to the valley, amplified their musical eccentricity. And absolute monster players.

The Backstory
In 1979, the California Supreme Court passed Constitutional Proposition 1, initiating a tumultuous phase of mandatory busing meant to combat the racial inequities in the state’s public school system. On the first day of school that year, a young black student bused from mid-city Los Angeles to Hale High School in lily-white Woodland Hills encountered a foreboding scene: “There was parents off campus with some signs that said go home.”

The student’s name was Norwood Fisher. He and his brother Philip, who originally grew up in the Slauson area, had been tinkering around with instruments since they were in elementary school. At Hale they met fellow transplants Kendall “Special K” Jones, Chris Dowd, and Walter “Dirty Walt” Kibby, Jr., not to mention a kid who was already living in the Valley, a charismatic goofball and prodigy named Angelo Moore. An eccentric to say the least, Moore sported a big orange afro, played bass saxophone, and wrote trippy poetry. They all bonded over their shared love of ’70s funk—as well as being, as Moore later put it, “black flies in the buttermilk.” “We wanted to do Bootsy [Collins] covers in Mr. Lewis’ typing class,” Moore told the L.A. Weekly. “That’s where the idea for the band came from.”

They also shared a love of reggae music. “In the late ’70s, R&B radio stations in Los Angeles were playing reggae: Steel Pulse, Black Uhuru, Third World,” Norwood Fisher told writer Mark Spitz in 2009. “We got excited, so we sped those songs up… We thought we invented it! Then one day Dirty Walt said, ‘You ain’t invented shit. It’s called ‘ska.'” Kibby turned the rest of them onto the music of Bad Manners, The Specials, and The Selecter, bands that melded reggae with British punk. “We related to it because it was dance music,” said Fisher. “It spoke to the youth across the color line.”

Nice. I was super into those Fishbone weird ambitious rock type albums at the time -- into those before getting back into the earlier things. Sunless Saturday was my jam and there was a summer where Give A Monkey A Brain was in heavy rotation.

Fruit Bats is sounding quite good on the Pickathon stream right now. Solid band. Say Hey tipped me off to this set and I have a very hazy recollection of seeing them at 506 back in the mid-aughts, but who really knows for sure anyway. Pretty sure I bought the ticket, at least.

Probably posted this before, but it popped up on my radar today via a Twitter post, and I am diving back in because it is cool. Ambient, synth r&b soul. Feels like a good gray rainy day record to me right now.

HUH?

A lot of people may not know that Townshend sat in with the Dead. Many of the Dead's YouTubes have millions of views. This one has 50,000 or so. Thus, not all that many people know much about this show.

I watched it and really didn't enjoy it that much. I like The Who and love The Dead. It just wasn't working for me.

on a different note, been on a bit of a Fishbone run this week. Just love these guys. mandatory busing of kids from Slauson to the valley, amplified their musical eccentricity. And absolute monster players.

I got into Fishbone when I was in a Duke TIP program in 1986. We listend to Party at Ground Zero and Lyin' Ass Bitch about 5,000 times in six weeks. Also was digging the Alex Chilton song "No Sex".

Shakedown Stream this Friday is gonna be from the Europe 72 tour in Bremen

46 years ago today, the longest song the Dead ever played live

Top 5 dead tune for me. and I love Mickey and the places he and Bill took the drumming over the years, but the 71-75 period with just Bill is some of my favorite dead drumming. he's just great

Last edited:
Bill's amazing! Doesn't get recognized as much as I think he should. One of rock's all-time great drummers.

Last edited:
Mickey is sort of worthless these days in Dead and Company. He just uses his brushes and is more into the techno stuff like the Beam.

I mean here he's just hitting a box with brushes.

he was hilarious the last time i saw them live back in december in LA, wasn't a huge part of drums but was really, REALLY into space

without mickey, and with Keith being almost exclusively piano and not organ, the band is almost more percussive than the dual-drummer and later organ-based periods before and after that 71-75 run. or at the very least the percussive qualities are more well-defined and "hearable"

without mickey, and with Keith being almost exclusively piano and not organ, the band is almost more percussive than the dual-drummer and later organ-based periods before and after that 71-75 run. or at the very least the percussive qualities are more well-defined and "hearable"

counterpoint (or maybe not a counterpoint, just the coolest use of two drummers)

also, i know it means something else, but i always liked that mickey got album credits for drums and vibes

love that record. I "got" it one night I dosed with some friends in about 1986 and went to see Rush/Blue Oyster Cult at the Greensboro coliseum on a school night, and so was home by midnight still tripping balls and played it over and over in my headphones until dawn

good times

Doesn't get much simpler than the composer solo accompanying himself on an acoustic in front of a fire place.

Back