• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread 2.0

Great Bonnie Raitt/Lowell George version floating around out there somewhere, too.

In a couple of years, I'd guess Winwood will celebrating 60 years in the music business. He was a prodigy at about 14 as Stevie Winwood. He stills looks good.

Speaking of which, I almost didn't recognize a 20 something Nathan East in the version I posted. I'm surprised he doesn't sing much any more.

Yeah Winwood was like 15,16 when he sang Gimme Some Lovin'. I think it came out when he was 18 or so, but still. Pretty impressive. He and Alex Chilton were weird like that, mature voices as teenagers and they just kept going. Slightly different trajectories, though.

the characters in the book i'm reading have a chapter where they talk about this album

i'd never listened to it, it's nice

Yeah Winwood was like 15,16 when he sang Gimme Some Lovin'. I think it came out when he was 18 or so, but still. Pretty impressive. He and Alex Chilton were weird like that, mature voices as teenagers and they just kept going. Slightly different trajectories, though.

He's also an extraordinary keyboardist and close to being an elite guitarist.

the characters in the book i'm reading have a chapter where they talk about this album

i'd never listened to it, it's nice

Never heard this, but been on a little bit of a Gordon kick lately -- which means I think I've thrown on The Apartment more than once in the last four months. I'm still counting that as a kick. Smooth player, though.

I love the fuck-ups and restarts in this. Glad they kept those in there, just kind of interesting to see.

Whoa, this is cool. Gary Burton (vibes) quartet with a young Pat Metheny shredding in Oslo from '76. I didn't know this group and only really know Pat, though I've heard and read Burton's name, but that's about it. Steve Swallow is supposed to be a badass too, my buddy just told me.

Last edited:
Speaking of vibes, already hearing some optimism regarding next week's Shakedown Stream, a summer '90 show.

Radio Free Aquarium Drunkard is stopping at midnight Pacific tonight. Bummmerrrrrrrrrrr....

Oh man, that's one of my favorite tunes. Great story about it, too. Ewan MacColl wrote it for Peggy Seeger -- I think they were both involved with others at the time and MacColl was 20 years older -- and they later got married. Something like that -- seems like I remember there being some complicated domestic dynamics.

Great Roberta Flack version, great Bert Jansch versions out there (I think he recorded it on album twice: once instrumentally, and then a weird duet).

A great live Bert version -- we have the masters to this at work. Roberta Flack's is tops, too, look it up if you don't know it.

Last edited:
Happy Birthday, Bob Moog. Thanks for those weird beautiful sounds, man.

Saturdays have turned back into prime radio day for me. I used to be a steady 8-track Flashback>Funk Show guy on WNCU, but then dropped off a ton, mainly due to soccer. Now I start at 10am with Lost Child out of Birmingham, Ala. then switch to NCU for the last hour of Steve Taxman's jazz show, THEN the aforementioned duo (unless DJ Travis Gales is sitting in for the MAN Jim Davis; or Howard Burchette is on a disco kick on the Funk Show), and I follow that up -- if I'm feeling it -- with however much blues I can take (usually only up to an hour), on Blues Unlimited with Sleepy Boy Hawkins. Good stuff. Support your Public Radio stations! Even though the Kochs and others are doing their best to kill PBS and NPR, Christ. What a world. What a shit show. Still some good radio out there.

Shout out also to Sunday morning's Great Sacred Music show on WCPE (The Classical Station dot org), which is maybe the best church music show I've ever heard. Rob Kennedy knows his stuff. And he always plays a full Bach cantata, which is dope.

The House of Blues on Sunset used to have an amazing Sunday Gospel Brunch. The live music was great as was the food. Unfortunately, the quality of food and service tanked and the joint was torn down.

Back