• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread 2.0

indeed i was! did not realize at the time my now son was a gestational sac in wife's womb at that show, nary a month into fetal development. probably where he gets his excellent vibes from.

Didn't know you had a son Townie. Congrats!

thanks, he's rad

so far his taste is questionable, though this song puts him to sleep every time

Yeah sons are the best. Do you sing it or play it for him?

My mom used to sing this to me and I have been singing it my son since he was born, he still falls asleep instantly:

I sing it any time between 10 PM and 6 AM when trying to get him to sleep. This is another good one to sing to him:

I was of poor folk, but my mother had a rabbit fur coat
Then a girl of less character pushed her down the LA River and over that rabbit fur coat

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but for any Phans on the music thread I recently came across JEMP radio (jempradio.com). It's mostly Phish and related content with a fair amount of Dead mixed in as well as other related artists. Killer reggae and dub show on Sunday nights as well. You can listen for free online or via app on the phone.

Allman Brothers Band were the best act on earth in 1970, y/y?

I sing it any time between 10 PM and 6 AM when trying to get him to sleep. This is another good one to sing to him:

I was of poor folk, but my mother had a rabbit fur coat
Then a girl of less character pushed her down the LA River and over that rabbit fur coat

The 5yo really loves "Red Bull and Hennessey". I should probably filter my song choice around her a little better.

i picked up the bears sonic journals filmore east 70 vinyl recently and just can't get enough of it. the energy is just so incredible.

https://elusivedisc.com/the-allman-...nic-journals-fillmore-east-february-1970-2lp/

Recorded over three nights in February 1970 when the Allman Brothers Band opened for the Grateful Dead for the first time, these shows were recorded by Owsley Stanley, the Dead's pioneering soundman, whose "Sonic Journal" recordings are sought after for their purity and uncanny ability to place the listener in the venue. This is essential listening for Allman Brothers Band fans, showcasing an early incarnation of the band with Duane Allman in full form and featuring the earliest known live concert recording of "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed", which had just been penned by Dickey Betts shortly before these shows. The tapes were recorded just one year before the band's landmark At Fillmore East album from the same venue.

Long out-of-print, this set was freshly restored and mastered from original tapes in Owsley Stanley's archives, and includes all new album art and liner notes, including a series of rare band photos from the Fillmore East in February 1970, original cover artwork ("Electric Mushroom"), and new notes from the Allman Brothers Band and the Owsley Stanley Foundation. This is the second release in the award-winning "Bear's Sonic Journals" series and the first joint presentation by the Allman Brothers Band and the Owsley Stanley Foundation.

yeah I've listened to it a few times. they're also getting ready to re-release the Live at the Atlanta International Pop Festival recordings. Those are great -- had them on CD back in the day.

Allman Brothers Band were the best act on earth in 1970, y/y?

State your case.

I don't know if I can get behind this one; hardest working band in 1970, sure. They did 300 shows out of a winnebago, or something like that. In 1970 they were touring on a self title album and "Idlewild South," neither of which were particularly successful, at least initially. At the same time Zep had 1, 2, and 3 out, touring extensively on those album. Grateful Dead released "American Beauty" and "Workingman's Dead" that year. Not sure they were the best act on earth in 1970, but they were certainly on the rise.

Best live act, not best commercial act. I can only really speak to the live credentials of both the Dead and the Brothers, not Zeppelin or anyone else (Stones, Who, Floyd). But it seems to me like 1970 was the peak of the tight live show. Dead to me peaked in 72 and then again in 77 as a different group. Commercially or in studio, that's a totally different story.

Best live act, not best commercial act. I can only really speak to the live credentials of both the Dead and the Brothers, not Zeppelin or anyone else (Stones, Who, Floyd). But it seems to me like 1970 was the peak of the tight live show. Dead to me peaked in 72 and then again in 77 as a different group. Commercially or in studio, that's a totally different story.

Ok, fair enough. I feel like 71 was a better year - the Fillmore East/West shows are great (East, legendary, obviously). The A&R studios jam from '71 is fantastic as well. Admittedly, I haven't listened to much '70 outside of the Ludlow Garage recording.

has to be correct. also those Dead jams with Duane that year are amazing.

their commercial peak was like 1973 though.

My neighbor is a nice guy, but a bit strange. Doesn't drink or do drugs or anything. I'm guessing, but I don't know for sure, that it's because he's done a few lifetimes worth of that stuff already (I'd guess he's in his mid/late 50s now)
He has a full blown shrine/museum dedicated to the Allman brothers (specifically Duane) in his basement.
He has a Xmas party every year and last Christmas he mentioned that he had a "big announcement" to make during the party.
Turns out he bought Duane Allman's ring (one of many I suppose) from Duane's son.
Dude was so jazzed. I don't think I'd been as excited as he was at the moment if I found a naked Pam Anderson in my basement when I was 14

Ok, fair enough. I feel like 71 was a better year - the Fillmore East/West shows are great (East, legendary, obviously). The A&R studios jam from '71 is fantastic as well. Admittedly, I haven't listened to much '70 outside of the Ludlow Garage recording.

Definitely recommend the link I posted, the Atlanta Pop Fest that Barca mentioned, and American University 1970:

New Kevin Morby is good

Kevin Morby is one of my favorite musicians of the past 5 years - absolutely my vibe. I haven’t listened to the new album, but I’m excited. I probably posted Harlem River to the old
Music thread 4 or 5 times.

can confirm it's solid

the last time I said I liked a kevin morby song mdmh got mad because I made him miss some of morby's set at Boston Calling years ago

but also Y'KNOW WHAT PEOPLE CHANGE MAYBE I LIKE HIM NOW OKAY

(if I remember correctly we missed him because of some dope tortas so also I will never apologize)

Back