• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread 2.0

(if I remember correctly we missed him because of some dope tortas so also I will never apologize)

Interesting story (for me). I actually first discovered Silver Jews from an acoustic Kevin Morby cover of Random Rules. I went to an all acoustic Morby show last year in Asheville with Waxahatchee the same week that David Berman died. At the show, Kevin did the same cover of Random Rules as a tribute to Berman and read one of his poems. I tweeted about him doing the cover song tribute, and he re-tweeted me. Kind of a cool cyclical deal, R.I.P. David Berman.

can confirm it's solid

the last time I said I liked a kevin morby song mdmh got mad because I made him miss some of morby's set at Boston Calling years ago

but also Y'KNOW WHAT PEOPLE CHANGE MAYBE I LIKE HIM NOW OKAY

wait where was i

Interesting story (for me). I actually first discovered Silver Jews from an acoustic Kevin Morby cover of Random Rules. I went to an all acoustic Morby show last year in Asheville with Waxahatchee the same week that David Berman died. At the show, Kevin did the same cover of Random Rules as a tribute to Berman and read one of his poems. I tweeted about him doing the cover song tribute, and he re-tweeted me. Kind of a cool cyclical deal, R.I.P. David Berman.

I miss David Berman every day.

I miss David Berman every day.

Of the semi-recent celebrity deaths, his and Robin Williams hit me the hardest. I listened to the Purple Mountains album the day Berman died and I just sobbed.

finally getting my dad's vintage turntable and receiver back from the repair shop this week. need some good bookshelf speakers to pair with it. what do y'all use? don't want to break the bank, but want something good to stand up to this really high-quality equipment.

also, where do y'all buy new release vinyl usually? local shops, directly from the band, Amazon?

i try my best not to use amazon unless it's drastically different in price; same as with bookstores

i like the bandcamp fridays (first friday of the month, all proceeds go to artist) or the record company websites themselves when i can

finally getting my dad's vintage turntable and receiver back from the repair shop this week. need some good bookshelf speakers to pair with it. what do y'all use? don't want to break the bank, but want something good to stand up to this really high-quality equipment.

also, where do y'all buy new release vinyl usually? local shops, directly from the band, Amazon?

Anything from the Klipsch Reference Premier line should be money. I got some Klipsch floor standing speakers this year and they kick ass.

As for new release vinyl, I typically buy from the artist when I can or through my local/indie record store. I also order from Sound of Vinyl, Amoeba, Turn Table Lab, and sellers on discogs. I was a member of Vinyl Me, Please for a few years and got a lot of new vinyl through them as well.

Like townie, I typically avoid Amazon when I can. That said, r/vinyldeals is a good place to find stuff that amazon is marking down.

We had a vinyl subscription for a while - Magnolia Record Club. Drew Holcomb started it but has recently passed it off to his record label I believe. All records are artist curated and come with a nice little note about it. Tends to be more folk, americana, alt country records so if that is not for you, I would look elsewhere.

edit: I guess it leans towards those genres but it is certainly not limited to them. They had Phoebe Bridger, Mt. Joy, My Morning Jacket, and Wilco in addition to Isbell, Nathaniel Rateliff, and Rayland Baxter recently. A lot of the records are limited edition/fun colors which is cool.

Last edited:
Anyone pick up any record store "day" drops? I ended up nabbing a copy of Charles Mingus "Mingus Ah Um (Redux)" that I'm super pumped about. Easily one of my favorite jazz albums ever and it sounds great on Vinyl.

I had Vinyl Me, Please for a little over a year back in 2015 or so. The quality of records they put out is undeniable -- just high quality stuff (with the exception of one Father John Misty album they really fucked up and sent out replacements for). I discovered some gems over the year that I hadn't previously known (R.L. Burnside, Perfume Genius) so I'd say it was worth it, but overall I decided I'd rather choose my records individually for that kind of money. I still order 2-3 records from them a year though (straight from the shop).

Anyone pick up any record store "day" drops? I ended up nabbing a copy of Charles Mingus "Mingus Ah Um (Redux)" that I'm super pumped about. Easily one of my favorite jazz albums ever and it sounds great on Vinyl.

Yeah dude, I picked a few things out of the September drop and posted a picture. I went out last weekend, but didn’t buy any RSD drops. I’m lukewarm on the Black Friday drop, so I may go out, but not sure about getting up too early for that one.

Of the semi-recent celebrity deaths, his and Robin Williams hit me the hardest. I listened to the Purple Mountains album the day Berman died and I just sobbed.

I've been listening to Berman since I was 15 years old in 1994. My band in high school started getting into Pavement and then found Malkmus' "other band." When Berman was alive but not putting out new music I was bummed but now that he is dead I know we'll never hear from him again I just can't get over it. Literally his lyrics just pop into my head every day. Today I'm stuck on "What if life was just some hard equation, on a chalk board in a science class for ghosts."

Back