• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread 2.0

Ok Usic thread, turns out the record player my wife bought me in the spring is cheap and shitty. It look pretty but apparently poorly made. It’s the thought that counts I guess. Several of the brand new right out of the plastic wrapping records I bought skip on the first play. What do I do? I’ve read there is a digital balancing device you can buy. Do they work? If so any advice on what kind? Should I just buy myself a new turn table?

Check the manual to see if the problem can be addressed. If so, follow directions. If there is a counter weight at the end of the tone arm, adjust the weight upward in small increments to alleviate the problem.

sounds like it might be a counterweight problem, tbh.

That’s the thing, there is no adjustable counter weight. Like I said it’s a cheap record player. So there are extra add on counter weight systems to buy.

The old solution was to tape a dime to the end of the tone arm. It usually works but it puts wear on the records.

Take the turntable and a record to someone specializing in components or repair. Ask for help. A tone arm and stylus are like a set of tires. They are the point of connection that makes everything else work. Never skimp on their performance.

Ok Usic thread, turns out the record player my wife bought me in the spring is cheap and shitty. It look pretty but apparently poorly made. It’s the thought that counts I guess. Several of the brand new right out of the plastic wrapping records I bought skip on the first play. What do I do? I’ve read there is a digital balancing device you can buy. Do they work? If so any advice on what kind? Should I just buy myself a new turn table?

What kind of turntable is it?

Recorded on this day in 1993 - instant classic.

I had this and the pearl jam one recoded on VHS and watched them over and over. Eventually figure out how to run the audio form my tv through the stereo and dubbed them on to cassette, then listened to them on my yellow Sony sports walkman. I was pretty fucking cool.

What kind of turntable is it?

It's a Victrola 6 in 1 (model 200b). She thought it would be great to have one machine to play all my old cassettes that I've hung onto all these years and CDs that only play in my car, while I built a record collection. Really nice gesture, but the reviews I am reading online now, from vinyl people in the know, not amazon reviews, all say the turn table kinda sucks.

It's a Victrola 6 in 1 (model 200b). She thought it would be great to have one machine to play all my old cassettes that I've hung onto all these years and CDs that only play in my car, while I built a record collection. Really nice gesture, but the reviews I am reading online now, from vinyl people in the know, not amazon reviews, all say the turn table kinda sucks.

Nice gesture, but what you're dealing with is certainly frustrating. I personally wouldn't throw any money at it, but instead look to upgrade.

Nice gesture, but what you're dealing with is certainly frustrating. I personally wouldn't throw any money at it, but instead look to upgrade.

That’s my plan, after Christmas I’ll treat my self. I figure I can get a nicer turn table to just set on top of the one she bought then I can still play cassette and cds, but have a real record player too.

Townie - that’s great! Love the marge Simpson joke!

Had this a while and just got around to opening tonight - sounds really good on vinyl.

b582a02d2229195a379a264d83fd85e0.jpg

544c5c43078340a7dd91d3aa4cf9c615.jpg

MBDTF turns ten over the weekend

I remember how exciting the G.O.O.D. Music Friday rollout was and then the full album dropped right before I left the country for a bit and it was one of the last things I downloaded, so it has a very strong association with that time in my life

favorite track?

Back