• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread 2.0

not knowing dick about the music industry, it seemed that Pat navigated Chance's career well to give him the most artistic freedom possible

do what you want with your values and beliefs, but when you put out a gospel album and then complain that things went south you have nobody to blame but yourself

Wait, what? What does gospel have anything to do with it? Coloring Book was as much or more "gospel" as The Big Day and it was a huge success (IMO).

the revisionism on Coloring Book has already started imo

at least on rate your music dot com

Wait, what? What does gospel have anything to do with it? Coloring Book was as much or more "gospel" as The Big Day and it was a huge success (IMO).

you think so?

I guess The Big Day felt more like Chance pushing his faith, but I can't back that up lyrically

you think so?

I guess The Big Day felt more like Chance pushing his faith, but I can't back that up lyrically

Yeah, I haven't really listened to The Big Day more than 3x (just don't find it as musically compelling), but Coloring Book had a song named Blessings that had lines "don't believe in the king, believe in the kingdom" whereas The Big Day has, uh, that hot shower song. Even picking out the most likely religious song on the album by title (Eternal) it starts out with "side chicks don't dance like this".

The real problem with The Big Day was the # of times he mentioned or wrote directly about his wife. Shit was way too much.

yeah, I gave Big Day one listen, so I guess I'm thinking more about the publicity events he was doing at the time and really playing up his faith and family

but yeah, the wife stuff, we get it bro

One of my buddies asked me for some McCoy Tyner recs and since it's fresh on my mind, I figured I'd post here. He would have turned 82 tomorrow, so this seems timely.

To understand McCoy as a solo artist is to understand he came up as Coltrane's sideman. Their work together is essential listening, obviously, with Love Supreme and My Favorite Things being seminal works IMO.

Moving on, in terms of albums he plays on that I really like are his collabs with Art Blakey (A Jazz Message) and Joe Henderson (Page One).

As a band leader, his first album after Coltrane, The Real McCoy, is the natural starting point. The best of the rest in my opinion are Sahara and Enlightenment which is a live album from 73 and is the best, most mature representation of his sound and style, IMO.

Happy listening!

dig the John Wright share and dig the McCoy overview -- I blew a chance to see him live a few years ago

you know who kinda cooks? Donald Byrd -- spinning Love Byrd now

If it’s anything like volume one it’s going to be incredible

I happen to think it’s just as good. I love the updated lyrics on “You can have the crown.”

2 new tracks, one of which was co-written by Merle Haggard.

Only 12 tracks compared to 20 on volume 1...wondering if he’s planning a v3.

Back