• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread 2.0

I haven't thrown on the Phish -- don't really listen to them anymore, though I LOVED reliving my first show (Greensboro 3/1/2003) yesterday. Is it pretty raw, rockin, or what? Might give it a shot.

Best album of the 3.0 era - I wouldn't call it raw, but in my opinion it comes closest to capturing the magic that happens at a live show.They worked with Vance Powell and recorded it in a week at the Barn studio last November. A few ballads, most of the songs at least 6 minutes long. Nice collection of road-tested ballads and rockers.

If you didn't know, Chupe, they are doing a "Dinner & Movie" series every Tuesday night where they replay a show - tonight is 7/25/17 MSG. I've been having a ton of fun watching all these shows with my kids.

Best album of the 3.0 era - I wouldn't call it raw, but in my opinion it comes closest to capturing the magic that happens at a live show.They worked with Vance Powell and recorded it in a week at the Barn studio last November. A few ballads, most of the songs at least 6 minutes long. Nice collection of road-tested ballads and rockers.

If you didn't know, Chupe, they are doing a "Dinner & Movie" series every Tuesday night where they replay a show - tonight is 7/25/17 MSG. I've been having a ton of fun watching all these shows with my kids.

Didn't know, thanks for the heads up.

these guys have been a guilty pleasure for me the past few years with a few fun pop punk type releases, but this is one of my favorite things they've done. kinda reminds me a little of mewithoutyou

Any other live quarantine concerts are people following? Been listening to some Ben Gibbons and catching up on tiny desk stuff. Definitely hearing some new stuff here that I've missed with work and elementary age kids.

William Tyler's doing one tonight via Duke Performances facebook. Should be pretty chill. Richard Thompson had a good one a couple of weekends ago. Jorma Kaukonen had a good one last weekend. I guess it suits itself to acoustic-based singer/songwriters/instrumentalists. I think Thompson and Jorma are planning on doing them semi-regularly.

Any other live quarantine concerts are people following? Been listening to some Ben Gibbons and catching up on tiny desk stuff. Definitely hearing some new stuff here that I've missed with work and elementary age kids.

Been listening/watching a lot of I So Lounging by Amanda Shires. Isbell is on most of them. Usually 35-45 minutes. about 4 songs and some chatter. Did 3 John Prine covers yesterday. They were tight with Prine. Isbell wrote about him in today’s New York Times.

Sound was crappy for William Tyler's, but next week Duke Performances' live stream will be Jake X. Fussell, which also has the potential for chill, cool waters. His frequent collaborator, Nathan Bowles, had a neat, drone-y banjo living room thing last weekend, I think.

Only live stuff I've watched have been a few streams from Matt Pryor of the Get Up Kids.

I've mostly been watching stuff off the jambase.com calendar:
-Phish shows on Tuesdays
-Dead & Company on Saturdays
-Widespread Panic on Sundays
-other miscellaneous stuff that seems interesting.

The Grateful Dead are have released 7/4/89 (Buffalo) in its entirety for stream tonight; sounds like they may start doing regular releases of shows from the archive. There's also a Tyler Childers show from last year that's going to stream this afternoon that I'd like to try to catch.

Unfortunately with kids and working from home, my music listening is waaaay down compared to normal.

these guys have been a guilty pleasure for me the past few years with a few fun pop punk type releases, but this is one of my favorite things they've done. kinda reminds me a little of mewithoutyou

revisiting the pup tune i was reminded of this performance:

I got a walnut brownie brain
And molasses in my veins
Crushed graham cracker crust
My powdered sugared funnel cake cocaine
Let the crescent cookie rise
These carob-colored almond eyes
Would rest to see my cashewed princess
In the swirling marble sky
We'll rest upon the knee
Where all divisions cease to be
A root-beer float in our banana boat
Across the tapioca sea
When letting all attachments go
Is the only prayer we know
May it be so
May it be so
May it be so

The new Strokes album rules. It’s a perfect mix of early 00s Strokes and 80s synth pop. It’s their best album since Room on Fire

Back