Page 8 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast

Thread: usic Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I haven't thrown on the Phish -- don't really listen to them anymore, though I LOVED reliving my first show (Greensboro 3/1/2003) yesterday. Is it pretty raw, rockin, or what? Might give it a shot.
    Best album of the 3.0 era - I wouldn't call it raw, but in my opinion it comes closest to capturing the magic that happens at a live show.They worked with Vance Powell and recorded it in a week at the Barn studio last November. A few ballads, most of the songs at least 6 minutes long. Nice collection of road-tested ballads and rockers.

If you didn't know, Chupe, they are doing a "Dinner & Movie" series every Tuesday night where they replay a show - tonight is 7/25/17 MSG. I've been having a ton of fun watching all these shows with my kids.

This is cool telerockin'

Quote Originally Posted by leftcoastdeac View Post
    Best album of the 3.0 era - I wouldn't call it raw, but in my opinion it comes closest to capturing the magic that happens at a live show.They worked with Vance Powell and recorded it in a week at the Barn studio last November. A few ballads, most of the songs at least 6 minutes long. Nice collection of road-tested ballads and rockers.

If you didn't know, Chupe, they are doing a "Dinner & Movie" series every Tuesday night where they replay a show - tonight is 7/25/17 MSG. I've been having a ton of fun watching all these shows with my kids.
    Didn't know, thanks for the heads up.
    Runs with deer.

these guys have been a guilty pleasure for me the past few years with a few fun pop punk type releases, but this is one of my favorite things they've done. kinda reminds me a little of mewithoutyou

Any other live quarantine concerts are people following? Been listening to some Ben Gibbons and catching up on tiny desk stuff. Definitely hearing some new stuff here that I've missed with work and elementary age kids.

William Tyler's doing one tonight via Duke Performances facebook. Should be pretty chill. Richard Thompson had a good one a couple of weekends ago. Jorma Kaukonen had a good one last weekend. I guess it suits itself to acoustic-based singer/songwriters/instrumentalists. I think Thompson and Jorma are planning on doing them semi-regularly.
    Runs with deer.

Quote Originally Posted by deaconson View Post
    Any other live quarantine concerts are people following? Been listening to some Ben Gibbons and catching up on tiny desk stuff. Definitely hearing some new stuff here that I've missed with work and elementary age kids.
    Been listening/watching a lot of I So Lounging by Amanda Shires. Isbell is on most of them. Usually 35-45 minutes. about 4 songs and some chatter. Did 3 John Prine covers yesterday. They were tight with Prine. Isbell wrote about him in todayís New York Times.

Sound was crappy for William Tyler's, but next week Duke Performances' live stream will be Jake X. Fussell, which also has the potential for chill, cool waters. His frequent collaborator, Nathan Bowles, had a neat, drone-y banjo living room thing last weekend, I think.
    Runs with deer.

Maybe my favorite show from last year was seeing Joan Shelley at the Cradle Back Room, my favorite venue to see a gig in town. The band is smoking and lays down a mystical, laid back folk-y groove throughout. Couple of moments I got a Sandy Denny-era Fairport vibe.

https://pitchfork.com/news/joan-shel...omhard-listen/
    Runs with deer.

Quote Originally Posted by deaconson View Post
    Only live stuff I've watched have been a few streams from Matt Pryor of the Get Up Kids.

I've mostly been watching stuff off the jambase.com calendar:
    -Phish shows on Tuesdays
    -Dead & Company on Saturdays
    -Widespread Panic on Sundays
    -other miscellaneous stuff that seems interesting.

The Grateful Dead are have released 7/4/89 (Buffalo) in its entirety for stream tonight; sounds like they may start doing regular releases of shows from the archive. There's also a Tyler Childers show from last year that's going to stream this afternoon that I'd like to try to catch.

Unfortunately with kids and working from home, my music listening is waaaay down compared to normal.

Winston native Caleb Caudle put out a new album a week ago. Itís pretty good. https://open.spotify.com/album/48lKs...Que02E4M56Kw-w

Heís got a pretty nice lineup of guest vocals & musicians on it too. https://www.nodepression.com/album-r...tter-hurry-up/

Radiohead is releasing a recording of a live show each week on YouTube while the quarantine continues. Yesterday was from the Tent Tour in 2000 - Dublin.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeandBake View Post
    This is cool telerockin'

Must spread some reputation around...

Quote Originally Posted by TownieDeac View Post
    these guys have been a guilty pleasure for me the past few years with a few fun pop punk type releases, but this is one of my favorite things they've done. kinda reminds me a little of mewithoutyou
    revisiting the pup tune i was reminded of this performance:

I got a walnut brownie brain
    And molasses in my veins
    Crushed graham cracker crust
    My powdered sugared funnel cake cocaine
    Let the crescent cookie rise
    These carob-colored almond eyes
    Would rest to see my cashewed princess
    In the swirling marble sky
    We'll rest upon the knee
    Where all divisions cease to be
    A root-beer float in our banana boat
    Across the tapioca sea
    When letting all attachments go
    Is the only prayer we know
    May it be so
    May it be so
    May it be so

The new Strokes album rules. Itís a perfect mix of early 00s Strokes and 80s synth pop. Itís their best album since Room on Fire