• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread 2.0

Thanks for the suggestions dudes, will link to the playlist when it's live.

Big River - Johnny Cash (or the Dead)

We did "Don't Go Near The Water" for Cash, and "Throwing Stones" for the Dead. Boss may pare it a bit, but it's a solid list. Gotta get more women and minorities on, but I tossed that Swamp Dogg and Marvin Gaye on there, as well as a nice Gillian Welch song and a Tracy Chapman number. Been fun and something different at least, to look into this.

But if anything more comes to mind, post it! We are all about the collaboration, the true Folklife spirit of sharing and passing down, and fighting the man through song and words.

I think it can be argued that there has never been a run of consecutive albums that equaled Stevie's Fab Four:

Talking Book
Innervisions
Fulfillingness' First Finale
Songs in the Key of Life

Music of My Mind also in that, imo. I think Secret Life of Plants is brilliant and crazy, but even if you want to toss that out as a curio, Hotter Than July continues that run. It was a hell of a decade for liberated Stevie.

I think Music of My Mind was directly before Talking Book.

He basically had Music of My Mind through Fulfillingness' already down, Motown just wouldn't let him do his thing. He hooked up with the TONTO guys and all that shit came blasting forth. What an output. Nothing else like it in the universe.

People were freaking out about how long Stevie was taking to finish Songs in the Key of Life. I think it came out the year after Born to Run. People in the industry were apoplectic that many albums would be taking that long to finish.

But yeah, he actually had to write new songs instead of what had been percolating in his head while Motown had him in CHAINS. But we are all better off for what came when it finally came. I like the story of Paul Simon accepting the award for Best Album of the Year and thanking Stevie because it was the first year in a few he hadn't released one (and won).

Shit, yeah. I had forgotten that. Pretty crazy little thing there. Good pull.

I think Stevie's tour promoting Music of My Mind was the one he opened for the Stones. Not a bad show. :)

Back