• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread 2.0

I've always liked 5 or 6 string basses. Taylor's acoustic basses always had a nice tone.

This Radiohead show streaming right now is one of the greatest things ever. These guys were at the top of their game which is/was at the top of anyone's. Damn, this is some good shit.

I'm a low key Ed O'Brien guy, but very scared to listen to his solo record that just came out. Jonny is the man, though, he and Thom are def the two geniuses. I once watched part/some/most of one of those 8-hour dj seshes they used to have back in the day and Ed O played a few dope Brazilian cuts and got my respect.

It's Charles Mingus' birthday today. Born in Nogales, which I always find a trip when I'm reminded of that. Arizona's own! Anyway, a lot of dope jazzy things of course you could tune in to, and he's best known as a bassist, obv, but lately I've been called to this set of improv jamz on piano. The whole record is pretty cool.

this is the piano riff that opens Blood Orange's Freetown Sound

always fun when you find a sample source organically -- thanks for sharing!

also good shit

p sure I've shared this at least once before, but I was a big fan of Yusef Lateef's Eastern Sounds album and found his website where he was selling his visual art

wrote him trying to buy a print and he didn't actually have one, but he wrote back a nice note, returned my check, and included some typewritten essay he wrote on existentialism or something; we ended up trading a few emails

came across it the other day going through my stuff

bummed I never got to see him live before he passed

Whoa, that's a great record and a great story. You never know. My buddy writes letters to EVERYONE (and gets unreasonably pissed if they don't acknowledge, but whatever) and once Norman Mailer or John Updike or someone sent him a nice letter back and a nice bottle of scotch.

In the 70s, Todd Rundgren put the names of people who wrote to him on the sleeve on of one of his albums. His cousin went to Wake.

Little Nils Lofgren's next door neighbor also went to MSD.

I'm a low key Ed O'Brien guy, but very scared to listen to his solo record that just came out. Jonny is the man, though, he and Thom are def the two geniuses. I once watched part/some/most of one of those 8-hour dj seshes they used to have back in the day and Ed O played a few dope Brazilian cuts and got my respect.

Love Jonny's film scores like There Will Be Blood and Phantom Thread

Thom Yorke's Anima video on Netflix is amazing as well. Such a creative genius.

My music listening has taken a bit hit, unfortunately. Did manage to get around to the new Thundercat album and liked it a lot - great contributions by Flying Lotus and Kamasi. Made for a pretty heady album; not as good as drunk, but a very worthy follow up.

Reminder about the 2012 Merlefest streaming now and the rest of the weekend. Steep Canyon Rangers pickin' now.

they sound really good, thanks for the link

great music to see my work week out

Back