Page 1 of 67 1234561151 ... LastLast

Thread: usic Thread 2.0

usic Thread 2.0

The usic thread takes a really long time to load, so I thought I'd start a new one

Here's a new tune by Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever

I disagree with you

Hell of a run with OG usic thread, but a lot of those early youtube links were dead anyway, so I guess this is a good call. RIP.

It was NC's own (Black Mountain!) Roberta Flack's birthday yesterday. Ann Powers wrote a hell of a profile here.

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/10/80437...k-the-virtuoso
    Runs with deer.

lock it down

RIP Lyle Mays. Was a key collaborator with Pat Metheny and also in the backing band with Metheny, Jaco, Michael Brecker, and Don Alias for Joni Mitchell on her Shadows and Light concert movie, which is amazing for a number of intentional and unintentional reasons.

Runs with deer.

Scooter Banks

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    RIP Lyle Mays. Was a key collaborator with Pat Metheny and also in the backing band with Metheny, Jaco, Michael Brecker, and Don Alias for Joni Mitchell on her Shadows and Light concert movie, which is amazing for a number of intentional and unintentional reasons.

I actually knew Lyle a little bit -- went to at least one party at his house when I was a little kid. I think he was originally from Wisconsin and he had a ton of land outside of the small town where I grew up. I remember him being very kind and quiet. RIP.

Banhammer'd
    RE: Ticketmaster (mentioned yesterday)- I think there should be a law against venues charging a "convenience fee"/Ticketmaster charge if you buy the tix at the venue or from the venue's website (or sporting arena/stadium). There should be state and federal laws about this. These fees at the venue are nothing short of Mafia-esque protection rackets.

The new John Moreland "LP5" is very, very solid.

Tiny Desk concert with Phil Elverum (Mount Eerie, The Microphones) and Julie Doiron: https://www.npr.org/2020/02/12/80468...y-desk-concert

her voice kills me

Tickets for The Rolling Stones show in Austin are absurd. I’m sure they will sell out quickly, but sheesh. “Starts at” $98 and goes up to $500 unless you want to camp, which strikes me as odd just for one show.

Black Cat has a great couple months of shows here, I snagged tickets to Destroyer, Algiers, Caroline Rose, Stephen Malkmus, The Radio Dept, and Andy Shauf.

Nice. Good haul Townie. I'm going to Destroyer and Andy Shauf, too, but in NC. Also may be going to the Steve Gunn/William Tyler/Mary Lattimore extravaganza, but may be out of town for work. Considering Malkmus and Stereolab.
    Runs with deer.

I've gotten a lot of pleasure out of making playlists to play for my son. Got a Beatles one, songs with his name in the title and then just sort of a catch-all mix for when he's on his activity mat and in the car.

Everyone should play my friend's Sleepy Dan jamz for their babies/kids! (I've probably shared this before, but I love it)

Or some Jer/Dawg (probs get to physically touch the reels this was recorded on next month -- hoping it's a bit of an Owsley's old mixing board with LSD residue left situation).

Carrboro, NC's own Libba Cotten jamz with Jerome and Dawg.

Unsuccessfully tried to convince my sister to play both of these for her newborn, so I'm trying with you guys.
    Runs with deer.

well my son's given name is shared with a Dead song and the name we call him by is also in the title of 2 Dead songs, so those are on the playlist

New Dead box looks like it's gonna be sweet.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ox-set-947163/
    Runs with deer.

these are just some unparalleled vibes

Scooter Banks

That song is all over the Spectrum station on Sirius, which is a really good station imo. I dig the song, but my kids hate it with the passion of a thousand suns for some reason -- I think it's the repetitiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by roland View Post
    The new John Moreland "LP5" is very, very solid.
    think i prefer High on Tulsa Heat and Big Bad Luv but nonetheless this is really good. Going to catch him headline at Haw River Ballroom in a few weeks.