• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 football ticket pricing is gouging Wake fans to pay for empty seats in LJVM!

JOJESMA

Reaction score
In the process of renewing my season tickets for the 2020 football season it is apparent that the Wake athletic department is taking advantage of the football season ticket buyers.

The upcoming season has only 6 home games and my season tickets, in Section 6, are the same price as they were in 2019 when there were 7 home games. In 2019, the average cost for myself and my spouse to attend a single game, plus Blue Lot parking, was $156. This price is hard to believe by itself. In 2020, I will paying the same price for 1 less game, which works out to be an average of $182 per game.

To make matters worse, this years "missing" 7th home game has been moved to Charlotte vs. Notre Dame and the
ticket prices are sky-high.

A seat, comparable to my seat location at BB&T, is priced at $235. Thus, it would cost me and my spouse, at a minimum
of $500(tickets and parking) plus gas, etc., to attend the game in Charlotte.

In summary, in 2019, 7 games cost an average of $156 per game for me and my spouse. In 2020, 7 "home games", 6 in Winston and 1 in Charlotte, would cost me an average of $227 per game.

This is a tough pill to swallow. The only rationalization must be that Currie is serious about finally biting the bullet and firing Manning and using this football money to buy out Manning's contract.

Last edited:
Throw in that Friday night game with App, that many of us who don't live within 2-3 hours of WS can't attend, and the numbers are even worse.

As teams improve, ticket prices go up. That concept shouldn't be hard to accept.

The football team is one of the few bright spots in our athletic department and one of the cheapest season tickets you can buy for the quality of opponents we face every year, so I'm not scoffing at the perceived increase in ticket prices due to our home schedule having one fewer game this year.

If you want to watch Wake sports on the cheap, go to the Joel.

Wish that Danny's buyout was small enough that it could be funded by an increase in the price in WF's football season tickets.

Buy tickets in a cheaper section then? Wake football season tickets, especially when we have 7 home games, are probably the best deal in P5.

I'll give someone a good deal on my 4 tix. I renewed b/c I have seat rights, but realistically I can't go to many games with Fridays, night games, kids sports schedules etc.

PM me if interested.

Section 7 Row R, aisle seats. Red lot parking.

Several years ago a family four pack of tickets was $280. $70 per season ticket.

I do wish they had some level of "loyalty renewal" discounts for those who have been with the program for decades. We're pretty basic when it comes to our pricing, doesn't seem like much thought goes into it beyond the "raise prices when we're on the rise" mentality.

Meh. If Wake had any balls they would call the Notre Dame game a home game and include the ticket in your season ticket package.

Besides, if you live in the Triad, what the hell else are you going to spend your money on ? Certainly not housing or decent restaurants.

Several years ago a family four pack of tickets was $280. $70 per season ticket.

I do wish they had some level of "loyalty renewal" discounts for those who have been with the program for decades. We're pretty basic when it comes to our pricing, doesn't seem like much thought goes into it beyond the "raise prices when we're on the rise" mentality.

Best deal in town is Section 3 for about $235. As the product gets better, expect to pay a little more. But the house is scaled with different seats priced different ways. You have choices.

Just business. Their is a fan demand to see a competent product at BB&T field; therefore, the price will go up. Contrarily, there is a much smaller engouged fan base to see the incompetent product at the Joel; therefore, the price will drop.

How do WF football season ticket prices compare to other ACC schools?

Would think if the fans are going to expect a winning product they need to contribute to the WF revenue stream at a similar pace as our competitors. If you don't want WF to be perceived as LOWF, then don't be surprised when WF charges prices that are in line with the bigger schools prices for tickets and parking. I'm guessing WF has not increased season ticket prices for basketball recently as WF knows it hasn't put a product on the court to justify increased ticket prices, but it has in football.

No problem in paying higher prices for a better quality product. However, this price jump is extravagant.

Economics 101 should prevail where demand drives the price. Thus, when we consistently have sell outs then the athletic department can increase prices as they see fit.

My major concern is that price increases at this point in time will hurt our attendance at games. We need to get to where we are selling out the stadium with Wake fans. Hell, I say give away tickets if we can assure they go to Wake fans instead of the Blue Goats, Wolfies, etc.

More importantly, crowd size is primary for Clawson and is probably the one reason that he would ever opt to leave Wake. At every opportunity he never fails to mention that the team needs additional support in the stands. Increased ticket prices should not be a reason to keep fans at home at this time in the development of the program. The last person we need to lose is Clawson.

No problem in paying higher prices for a better quality product. However, this price jump is extravagant.

Economics 101 should prevail where demand drives the price. Thus, when we consistently have sell outs then the athletic department can increase prices as they see fit.

My major concern is that price increases at this point in time will hurt our attendance at games. We need to get to where we are selling out the stadium with Wake fans. Hell, I say give away tickets if we can assure they go to Wake fans instead of the Blue Goats, Wolfies, etc.

More importantly, crowd size is primary for Clawson and is probably the one reason that he would ever opt to leave Wake. At every opportunity he never fails to mention that the team needs additional support in the stands. Increased ticket prices should not be a reason to keep fans at home at this time in the development of the program. The last person we need to lose is Clawson.

Price in Section 3 stayed the same & parking in the Blue Lot stayed at $120 & Gold Lot stayed at $200 or whatever. Of course for 6 home games.

While we're talking Econ 101, I would suspect that demand for season tickets is relatively inelastic, whereas demand for single-game tickets is relatively more elastic. So the AD can "raise prices" of season tickets (even though they're the same as last year, just fewer games) with little impact to revenue. Season ticketholder demand could be hit by a negative force ("raised prices") and a positive force (better product on field) so it's possible demand stays put.

As for sellouts, maximizing consumer surplus requires that tickets be sold at varying price points, as the price that consumers are willing to pay varies by consumer. Selling higher priced tickets up front and gradually working prices down with promos and eventually giveaways $0 is how they put as many asses in seats as possible while maximizing revenue along the way.

Boards economics gurus please confirm/refute, it's been a while since freshman year.

It really pisses me off that the Notre Dame game is in Charlotte. A pure money grab by MSD.

They should really move the whole school closer to Charlotte.

Back