• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will Danny Manning be Fired?

Is he gone?

• Yes

Votes: 115 60.8%
  • No

Votes: 74 39.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wake is doing nicely with all sports except for basketball (GT basketball tics for $1). Until congress fixes the college basketball mess, allowing Wake to be relevant again, a coaching change or not wont help Wake much. The NCAA is incapable of correcting itself.

You’re seriously blaming Congress for this mess?

Jesus.

Wake is doing nicely with all sports except for basketball (GT basketball tics for $1). Until congress fixes the college basketball mess, allowing Wake to be relevant again, a coaching change or not wont help Wake much. The NCAA is incapable of correcting itself.

HUH?? This makes no sense.

HUH?? This makes no sense.

You havent read the news? The senate has already started. I much prefer the NCAA solving it, but they have too much to loose to fix it.
Congress Says NCAA Needs Change, but Mark Emmert Doesn’t Have the Answers
As for Emmert’s purpose here, he and Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby pleaded with lawmakers to create federal NIL legislation to supersede mounting state laws that threaten the organization’s long-standing amateurism model. At the very least, they hope Congress can stall the states to give the NCAA enough time to modify its bylaws as it relates to NIL. “Senators,” Emmert told them, “we may need your help to achieve those goals.”

You havent read the news? The senate has already started. I much prefer the NCAA solving it, but they have too much to loose to fix it.
As for Emmert’s purpose here, he and Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby pleaded with lawmakers to create federal NIL legislation to supersede mounting state laws that threaten the organization’s long-standing amateurism model. At the very least, they hope Congress can stall the states to give the NCAA enough time to modify its bylaws as it relates to NIL. “Senators,” Emmert told them, “we may need your help to achieve those goals.”

Senators press NCAA on compensation for college athletes
Senators press NCAA on compensation for college athletes
© Getty

Senators pressed the NCAA to move quickly on rules for compensating college athletes during a hearing on Tuesday.

“I think that the present state of college sports is exploited,” ranking member Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) said at the Senate Commerce Subcommittee on Manufacturing, Trade, and Consumer Protection hearing.

The hearing, the first ever by the upper chamber on the issue, comes as states are moving to pass their own laws on how to help players benefit from the use of their names, images and likenesses in merchandise or marketing.

I've read the news. It has no impact on our program or our new coach for years to come.

What's going to happen sooner is the new NBA CBA that will include a path for high schoolers to the NBA. This should help us a lot if we can get a good coach. With most of the Top 20 players not going to college, having a good evaluator of talent, we could quickly return to NCAA relevancy.

Although he has no HC experience, I might put Nova Assistant Kyle Neptune on the same level as HOF Wes and Kelsey. Neptune has been Wright's top assistant and is a great recruiter. They have specialized in getting underrated players and succeeding.

I have to believe that anyone we hire will have head coaching experience. Aside from Matta (still a pipe dream) and Pitino (whatever is less likely than a pipe dream), our future coach is likely a D1 head coach right now.

I have to believe that anyone we hire will have head coaching experience. Aside from Matta (still a pipe dream) and Pitino (whatever is less likely than a pipe dream), our future coach is likely a D1 head coach right now.

I agree....

I am too lazy to look this up but has there ever been a P5 program that has held on to a HC for 6+ years with a comparable or worse winning %?? If it has happened, I can't think of it.

Maybe DePaul with Jerry Meyer?

He won't be fired, but it won't have anything to do with wins or losses. After not being fired last year, it is clear that success of the program has nothing to do with the decision-making (four 19 plus loss seasons).

It is also clear that "culture" has nothing to do with the decision-making (assistant coach killing someone, national story about misbehavior at Disneyland, transfers galore, low graduation rates, etc.). We are stuck with him until the buyout is done (whenever that is). RIP Wake hoops.

the poll question should be:
Will Danny Manning get an extension?

:p
although, it wouldn't shock me
:sick:

If they don't fire him this year, they should just ride out the contract. Fuck it! I don't think I care anymore.

Maybe DePaul with Jerry Meyer?

He won't be fired, but it won't have anything to do with wins or losses. After not being fired last year, it is clear that success of the program has nothing to do with the decision-making (four 19 plus loss seasons).

It is also clear that "culture" has nothing to do with the decision-making (assistant coach killing someone, national story about misbehavior at Disneyland, transfers galore, low graduation rates, etc.). We are stuck with him until the buyout is done (whenever that is). RIP Wake hoops.

Plenty of reasons to fire his ass but you do realize the Disneyland "misbehavior" was BS, right? We have plenty of facts so leave the hysteria for Jerry Springer.

I’m not a big time lawyer but I’ve never lost a jury trial that I should have won and have won quite a few I should have lost. Stick to your area of expertise.

Clearly not big time. You can’t even spell judgment.

Imagine the reaction if we hired someone's with Odom's pre-WF resume

He was in his late 40's & had 2 stints as an ACC asst (WF/UVA) sandwiched around a 38-42 record in 3 seasons as HC of a mid major (ECU).

He was in his late 40's & had 2 stints as an ACC asst (WF/UVA) sandwiched around a 38-42 record in 3 seasons as HC of a mid major (ECU).
The funny thing is, I think there's a decent chance we are going to hire someone with a similar record and experience. Probably a bit younger and likely with a few more than three years, but close enough.
Personally however, I'm expecting a mid level Power Six current head coach. Probably one that's either been solid but not spectacular for whatever reason or is just starting to regress from a recent burst of success.
Who that might be and from which of the other five conferences I don't know. I just know that feels like what Currie will be looking for.

Last edited:

As long as DM has the next RR pre-loaded and BC runs across some unknown recruit that is a future NBA HOF, well be fine.

I've tried unsuccessfully to do polls so can someone do one that asks SHOULD he be fired? Wondering if ANYONE says yes.

Drop kick his ass back to Kansas.

Yes please!

Wanted this done after his season 4 at the latest to give us a couple of seasons with a new HC to work to get us into the NCAAT this year as Duncan is announced into the Hall of Fame at the Final 4.

Sadly, Wellman doubled down instead and we're headed towards DFL. :(

Back