• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will Danny Manning be Fired?

Is he gone?

• Yes

Votes: 115 60.8%
  • No

Votes: 74 39.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Its obvious who danny was/is as a coach during season one. His nonsensical line ups (4 guards yeah!), odd substitution patterns, seeming disinterest, obviously you can go on. To keep him around despite 6 years of the same results really is amazing.

Say what you want about dino as a coach... strike that. Please don't. Dino realized his defense was not working out he went and changed it up with the packline. Old dog, new tricks and all. Danny would never admit a flaw or accept accountability for his coaching flaws/mistakes. That stubbornness was clear from the begging as well.

Imagine the reaction if we hired someone's with Odom's pre-WF resume

He was in his late 40's & had 2 stints as an ACC asst (WF/UVA) sandwiched around a 38-42 record in 3 seasons as HC of a mid major (ECU).

Iirc, Odom beat a couple of really good teams, possibly a loaded UNC team, while he was filling I for Terry Holland not long before Wake hired him. I imagined the timing helped his cause. But yes, let’s avoid a resume like that this time. Whenever the DMan is replaced...

Of course he SHOULD be fired, should have been done already. But I am afraid what is keeping him here this year will keep him around next year, so I voted No.

Totally tongue in cheek here, but Currie should re-hire Dino as a fuck you to Wellman,

The funny thing is, I think there's a decent chance we are going to hire someone with a similar record and experience. Probably a bit younger and likely with a few more than three years, but close enough.
Personally however, I'm expecting a mid level Power Six current head coach. Probably one that's either been solid but not spectacular for whatever reason or is just starting to regress from a recent burst of success.
Who that might be and from which of the other five conferences I don't know. I just know that feels like what Currie will be looking for.

Someone who needs a change of scenery. Shaka obviously fits the bill but I’m sure there are others as well.

The only problem with that guess is that’s somebody who is getting paid and will need to get paid and would probably need to pay the university to leave.

The only problem with that guess is that’s somebody who is getting paid and will need to get paid and would probably need to pay the university to leave.
Agreed.
And that is where Currie's political skills will be most needed and tested.

I vote no.

Guaranteed $$ to Manning and his staff + maybe still buying out [..] = another year.

I knew we were in trouble in year one when Damning called a timeout he didn't have and cost us a tech, that is hard to understand for a junior high team coach let alone an ACC one.

Today was pathetic, but I still think one more year to save money on the buyout. Unless Currie convinces Hatch and the board that there's someone out there Wake can't live without. Don't underestimate Hatch's tightwad nature regarding the buyout.

In the words of Bluto Blutarsky then.... "7 years of college coaching down the drain!"

Agreed.
And that is where Currie's political skills will be most needed and tested.

Yep. Currie will work out a deal somehow where all parties part ways with some “negotiated” money. Shaka. DM. I still think a change of scenery for Shaka will be a good thing for him and Wake would be a great fit.

Yep. Currie will work out a deal somehow where all parties part ways with some “negotiated” money. Shaka. DM. I still think a change of scenery for Shaka will be a good thing for him and Wake would be a great fit.

If Shaka is the guy then we would need a deal in which Texas would pay some of the Manning buyout for us hiring Shaka so they don’t have to pay one.

If Shaka is the guy then we would need a deal in which Texas would pay some of the Manning buyout for us hiring Shaka so they don’t have to pay one.

Bingo. And Currie has a good relationship with Texas and Shaka. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s working on pulling that off.

Bingo. And Currie has a good relationship with Texas and Shaka. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s working on pulling that off.

And that alone makes Shaka the clubhouse leader.

Back