• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will Danny Manning be Fired?

Is he gone?

• Yes

Votes: 115 60.8%
  • No

Votes: 74 39.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sure lets go get a guy who had a lucky run at VCU and a guy who has failed at Texas. No ill pass on him.

Sure lets go get a guy who had a lucky run at VCU and a guy who has failed at Texas. No ill pass on him.

I don’t think you can consider his six years at VCU to be a “lucky run”. He never lost fewer than 26 games, made it to the second weekend three times, and went to one Final Four. It’s hard to figure why he’s struggled so badly at Texas.

Yeah, what a tragedy it would be to get Shaka Smart after 10 years of [Redacted] and Manning.

Five years ago the sarcasm would have been merited. Are you totally sure he’s the answer today? We get one shot at this. Obviously I would take him over our previous two disasters, but I hate that no one can diagnose why he’s not successful at Texas.

Good point. Thus his entry price at another location should take some review and adjustment.

Five years ago the sarcasm would have been merited. Are you totally sure he’s the answer today? We get one shot at this. Obviously I would take him over our previous two disasters, but I hate that no one can diagnose why he’s not successful at Texas.

I mean, we’re a pretty mediocre job now.

We don’t recruit well, we haven’t been relevant in a decade, and we’re a small school in a big conference whose relative disadvantage is only going to become more of an obstacle as the NCAA continues to implode.

I like the idea of a charismatic systems coach who recruited really well in NC and who has been to the Final Four with a mid-major that didn’t have much of a tradition prior.

Texas basketball has been a tough nut to crack. Smart followed a guy who had been there for 17 years, but was pretty mediocre over his last seven. He has still made the dance twice in four years and won an NIT.

I believe that this is his floor at a place like Wake and even with that floor he would be our best coach since Skip passed. Shaka’s ceiling is what he did a few hours north of Winston with a lot of players from NC and one Wake legend.

The good news is he got lots of players at TX. Not as many as Kansas, but more than some others. The bad news is he didn't win with them.

Five years ago, he was the obvious #1 choice, but he's not the same.

A change of scenery could be all he needs, but it may be more. But he is better than taking someone with no P6 experience. He should be considered, but I'm not sure he should be our first choice.

I disagree that we don't recruit. Manning turned one mediocre year into a top four ACC class. It should be easy for a good coach to recruit well at Wake Forest.

Our recruiting problems now are due to horrible coaching and mismanagement of the program and not any inherent program limitations.

That said if we can get Shaka smart, that would be a huge Splash. I'm sure he would get a big recruiting bump and any coach is going to have risk.

Last edited:
Our program is in such shitty shape that I think it will actually take 2 coaching hires to get us back to being a consistent Top 25/NCAA Tourney team

The first hire to get us back to mediocrity & stabilize WF as a middle of the pack ACC program. The next hire to get to the next level,

I just don't think that WF has enough to offer right now to get a coach that can do both. This is a tough rebuild & i think we need someone initially that has a track record of rebuilding programs as opposed to a guy that has only had success inheriting good programs.

Last edited:
I disagree that we don't recruit. Manning turned one mediocre year into a top four ACC class. It should be easy for a good coach to recruit well at Wake Forest.

Our recruiting problems now are due to horrible coaching and mismanagement of the program and not any inherent program limitations.

That said if we can get Shaka smart, that would be a huge Splash. I'm sure he would get a big recruiting bump and any coach is going to have risk.

Our recruiting has been in a free fall, ChrisL. We get the occasional four star recruit, sure, but we’re recruiting at [Redacted] level again now. Between re-establishing local ties and overcoming our losing reputation (that makes us easy to recruit against), it will take awhile to build it back up, is all I’m saying. Thats why the fact that Shaka was able to get so many good, local NC kids while at VCU is a major plus in my book. Just look at the Triad and NC talent he pulled in and developed at VCU.

Shaka would be the ultimate LOWF pick. So conditioned by failure that mediocrity at Texas looks good.

I would much rather roll the dice with a young up and comer than chooe a coach where his current school is really happy that we will take him off their hands.

Isn't that how the lost decade started?

Back