• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will Danny Manning be Fired?

Is he gone?

• Yes

Votes: 115 60.8%
  • No

Votes: 74 39.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Shaka would be the ultimate LOWF pick. So conditioned by failure that mediocrity at Texas looks good.

I would much rather roll the dice with a young up and comer than chooe a coach where his current school is really happy that we will take him off their hands.

Isn't that how the lost decade started?

Not remotely comparable but whatever

Floor is higher. Don't think we can say the ceiling is higher.

Short term ceiling. Wes took 6 years at UNCG, I really don’t see Wes making us a potential top 25 team quicker than Shaka.

Shaka would be the ultimate LOWF pick. So conditioned by failure that mediocrity at Texas looks good.

I would much rather roll the dice with a young up and comer than chooe a coach where his current school is really happy that we will take him off their hands.

“Roll the dice.” That sounds horrific with where we’ve been for the last 10 years.

Here’s the thing...Shaka would be a homerun hire for us. He’s proven that he can succeed at a smaller school. Texas is a football school and for whatever reason Shaka hasn’t been great there. He’s still made a couple tourneys.

Shaka is everything that Redacted and Paint Touches isn’t. He’s energetic, good with the fans, good recruiter, a final 4 coach, and he isn’t a douche bag.

We would be extremely lucky to get Shaka or a coach of his caliber. We will most likely end up with Miller, Kelsey, Odom or some other mid major coach looking for a big pay raise.

We know that when conditions are right Shaka can have a very successful team. Sure some of the final 4 run was luck, but he’s been to the second weekend of the NCAAs several times and won the NIT. We know none of that for Miller or Kelsey. That’s just my take.

Here’s the thing...Shaka would be a homerun hire for us. He’s proven that he can succeed at a smaller school. Texas is a football school and for whatever reason Shaka hasn’t been great there. He’s still made a couple tourneys.

Shaka is everything that Redacted and Paint Touches isn’t. He’s energetic, good with the fans, good recruiter, a final 4 coach, and he isn’t a douche bag.

We would be extremely lucky to get Shaka or a coach of his caliber. We will most likely end up with Miller, Kelsey, Odom or some other mid major coach looking for a big pay raise.

Exactly. That’s what I’ve been saying all along. His record aside at Texas (which really hasn’t been that bad overall and he has had some post season success. He just for whatever reason abandoned his havoc style from VCU and that hasn’t worked at Texas), Shaka brings so much more to the table. Enthusiasm, Prosser-Like connection to the students, fanbase, school, administration, community, etc. And he can recruit! And I believe he would have more success at a school like Wake vs. Texas and he would coach more like he did at VCU. He needs a change of scenery, we need a big splash hire with some immediate success and positive enthusiasm. Not an “up and comer” that is unproven and just there to be polite and be another round of what we have had for the last decade.

I look at it this way we get Shaka at a discount thanks to his Texas numbers.

I look at it this way we get Shaka at a discount thanks to his Texas numbers.

Or just work out a deal with Texas where we hire Shaka from Texas to allow them to avoid paying their big buyout and in return, they help pay for part of Manning’s buyout. It would save both schools 5+ million and get rid of the coach they don’t want. Would say this is reach, but Currie previously worked at Texas and has connections with Del Conte and Shaka. I want to think this is in the works, but it’s Wake so I doubt it.

Or just work out a deal with Texas where we hire Shaka from Texas to allow them to avoid paying their big buyout and in return, they help pay for part of Manning’s buyout. It would save both schools 5+ million and get rid of the coach they don’t want. Would say this is reach, but Currie previously worked at Texas and has connections with Del Conte and Shaka. I want to think this is in the works, but it’s Wake so I doubt it.

No way this would have happened under Wellman. But my gut tells me this very well could play out under Currie. Both schools want to get out from under these ludicrous contracts and get rid of their coaches. Currie will help construct a deal and make it happen if this is the best option for Wake Forest going forward. Had we gotten Shaka instead of DM 6 years ago, I think he would have been very successful at Wake and we would have been very pleased. Maybe 2nd time's a charm. Never give up.

This is Shaka’s second worst season at Texas. He’s 14-11. On this date in Manning’s best season, he was 15–11.

This is Shaka’s second worst season at Texas. He’s 14-11. On this date in Manning’s best season, he was 15–11.

So we are comparing our future coach to fucking Danny Manning? Raise the ceiling people. We shouldn’t have to compare a candidate to Danny!

He’s getting fired from Texas for a reason, failure to win. He’s had the top recruiting classes in the country, and failed. He’s not going to be getting them at Wake for at least a year or two. He’s going to have to build a foundation, and work his way up. He didn’t do that at VCU. He inherited a solid program with some recent success. Wake has historical success, but no success in the last decade. If he can’t get it done at a school like Texas with all of those resources, I don’t think we should want him here.

Not saying he’s a bad coach, just think there are some other guys out there who can coach just as well, and had to start from the bottom and work their way up. Wes Miller has done that. He brought UNCG out of nowhere and has them consistently winning 27-28 games a season. He’s gotten into multiple tournaments. That’s about as good as you can do at UNCG. Not saying he’s our guy, but he should be on the running. He has experience starting from the bottom and building a program up. Not only do we need a coach who can build us up again, but they need to be proven winners (Wes is). They need to have had some winning success. There’s multiple coaches that fit that build. Bob Richey, Wes Miller, Craig Smith, Matt McMahon, and Niko Medved are all guys that fit the build, and I think would be great coaches for Wake Forest. Niko Medved has turned programs around very quickly.

There are some big time coaches out there that don’t get the exposure they deserve, which is a good thing for Wake. This is a great year to find the coach we want, because it doesn’t look like there are going to be as many offseason firings as in years past. We could see Brownell, and Christian being fired from the ACC, but that’s still up in the air. Brownell has had some big time wins this year, and also a lot of bad losses. Across the country, there shouldn’t be as many firings. This is the year. Also, no Brownell should not even be considered a candidate if he’s fired. Soooo LOWF.

LOL. Shaka’s floor is pretty close to Manning’s ceiling.

I'm shaka agnostic at the moment. He brings a lot and we have seen some red flags at texas with regards to his team performance.

Having said that shaka would absolutely get a really nice recruiting honeymoon here. Name, regional recruiting contacts, support from an energized fan base, a final 4 on his resume. I suspect any of this team worth keeping around would stay. He'd be in pretty good shape to quickly retool the program at wake and be in a position to prove he's good enough (or not) to compete in the acc on his merits.

That’s where I am, too. I just don’t see how we get someone better than Shaka in the current environment.

I don't see how we get somebody as good as Shaka in our current state. Shoot for the moon, worst case he says no.

Currie would immediately see a sharp turnaround if he could put this together.

Our recruiting has been in a free fall, ChrisL. We get the occasional four star recruit, sure, but we’re recruiting at [Redacted] level again now. Between re-establishing local ties and overcoming our losing reputation (that makes us easy to recruit against), it will take awhile to build it back up, is all I’m saying. Thats why the fact that Shaka was able to get so many good, local NC kids while at VCU is a major plus in my book. Just look at the Triad and NC talent he pulled in and developed at VCU.
Yeah because we have had terrible coaches. But this idea that it is due to inherent program limitations isn't accurate. Get a good coach and our recruiting will quickly improve.

Again, Manning parlayed 1 marginally good year into a top 25 recruiting class just a couple of years ago. Our recruiting now stinks because everybody realizes Manning is a terrible basketball coach.

Last edited:
That’s where I am, too. I just don’t see how we get someone better than Shaka in the current environment.

Then why did he fail at Texas with a much better situation than he will have at Wake?

Why will havoc work in the ACC if it will not work at Texas?

There is a lot to like about Shaka, but we need to find out why he did not do better at Texas before we hire him at Wake. Shaka will not come cheap and if he does not work out, will be here at least 5 years.

With a young coach moving from a smaller school, you could get a much friendlier contract that may be easier to get out of if it does not work out.

Back