• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will Danny Manning be Fired?

Is he gone?

• Yes

Votes: 115 60.8%
  • No

Votes: 74 39.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Then why did he fail at Texas with a much better situation than he will have at Wake?

Why will havoc work in the ACC if it will not work at Texas?

There is a lot to like about Shaka, but we need to find out why he did not do better at Texas before we hire him at Wake. Shaka will not come cheap and if he does not work out, will be here at least 5 years.

With a young coach moving from a smaller school, you could get a much friendlier contract that may be easier to get out of if it does not work out.
He didn't institute havoc at texas.

Then why did he fail at Texas with a much better situation than he will have at Wake?

Why will havoc work in the ACC if it will not work at Texas?

There is a lot to like about Shaka, but we need to find out why he did not do better at Texas before we hire him at Wake. Shaka will not come cheap and if he does not work out, will be here at least 5 years.

With a young coach moving from a smaller school, you could get a much friendlier contract that may be easier to get out of if it does not work out.

Personally, I’d rather take my chances with Shaka for 5 years (and hopefully many more) than an unknown or mid-major trying to make it in the big leagues and ends up just being an experiment and we have to hire somebody else again in a few years.

Right. I assume he did not think it would work in the Big 12? If not the case why did he not use havoc and what will he do at Wake?
That's a legitimate issue for the interview process

Personally, I’d rather take my chances with Shaka for 5 years (and hopefully many more) than an unknown or mid-major trying to make it in the big leagues and ends up just being an experiment and we have to hire somebody else again in a few years.

Agree to disagree. The next great coach is likely at a smaller school right now.

If Shaka is that guy, what is going on at Texas.
Good recruits but an impotent offense.

Five years ago the sarcasm would have been merited. Are you totally sure he’s the answer today? We get one shot at this. Obviously I would take him over our previous two disasters, but I hate that no one can diagnose why he’s not successful at Texas.
The thing with Shaka is... I'm less concerned about *US* figuring out why he's failed at Texas than I am with *SHAKA* figuring out why he's failed at Texas.
If he can't self-reflect, analyze and admit [to whatever he determines] honestly to himself his mistakes that caused his failure then we gotta hard pass.
We can't afford another Danny Manning Personality.

Agree to disagree. The next great coach is likely at a smaller school right now.

If Shaka is that guy, what is going on at Texas.
Good recruits but an impotent offense.

Not making excuses for him, but he does have a winning record this year and has had several of them while at Texas. He has made the NCAA’s. He won the NIT. This year, he has several injuries. And maybe he’s already thinking ahead about a change of scenery. His recruits have been top guys in the nation, but coaching one and dones isn’t easy with egos and short timers disease. Only a couple of coaches can do that in my opinion (I.e. Coach K, Calipari, Pitino, to name a few). That might not be Shaka’s strong suit or his coaching style and it’s showing at Texas where it wasn’t showing at VCU.

Anthony grant Was great at VCU meh at Alabama is now tearing it up at Dayton.

Saw this on yahoo sports which addresses both why no havoc and why he’s struggling.

“It appears Smart believes the marquee recruits he chases at Texas prefer a traditional, NBA-conducive system to the all-out, helter-skelter style that propelled VCU to national relevance. Perhaps Smart also questions whether he can implement HAVOC as successfully with freshmen and sophomores as he did with the junior- and senior-laden teams he coached at VCU.“

“ Playing at a plodding tempo also has further exposed the lone weakness Smart consistently displayed at VCU: An inability to draw up plays to generate points against a set defense. Year after year, Texas’ offense struggles to generate easy baskets, yet the Longhorns have finished 300th or slower nationally in tempo three times under Smart and remain averse to ratcheting up the defensive pressure.”

Y'all, Shaka would be awesome at wake. Even if he sucked, his energy and positivity would engage the players and the crowd. Also, whoever we hire is def staying 5+ years, let's be serious.

Also, Texas is weird. Their attendance is terrible, and their gigantic, not on-campus arena feels emptier than the Joel.

All we've gotta do is open up a full, endowed professorship in Wake's DEPARTMENT OF JOURNALISM and Dr. Smart will convince her husband to come to Winston !!!!

Or just work out a deal with Texas where we hire Shaka from Texas to allow them to avoid paying their big buyout and in return, they help pay for part of Manning’s buyout. It would save both schools 5+ million and get rid of the coach they don’t want. Would say this is reach, but Currie previously worked at Texas and has connections with Del Conte and Shaka. I want to think this is in the works, but it’s Wake so I doubt it.

I do feel like this kind of scenario has been in the works for awhile. The fact that Shaka was at our football game against UNC gives me reason to hope.

One bright side about Shaka is that most of our fans, including myself, have been so tuned out of college basketball for the past 5 years or so that I didn't even know he was struggling at Texas until reading this thread. If you told me we were hiring Shaka Smart I'd be like hell yeah, he was just in the Final Four within the last year or two, I'm back in. It is like college basketball hasn't existed for several years.

One bright side about Shaka is that most of our fans, including myself, have been so tuned out of college basketball for the past 5 years or so that I didn't even know he was struggling at Texas until reading this thread. If you told me we were hiring Shaka Smart I'd be like hell yeah, he was just in the Final Four within the last year or two, I'm back in. It is like college basketball hasn't existed for several years.

No one cares what a casual fan thinks about it. You think the top-100 players in high school basketball for the classes of 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024 think college basketball hasn't existed for several years?

No one cares what a casual fan thinks about it. You think the top-100 players in high school basketball for the classes of 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024 think college basketball hasn't existed for several years?
The weird thing is that he's getting the recruits though. Just not having success with them for some reason.

Last edited:
Back