• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will Danny Manning be Fired?

Is he gone?

• Yes

Votes: 115 60.8%
  • No

Votes: 74 39.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

deacon14

Reaction score
Will Danny Manning be fired by Wake Forest University by the end of May 2020? Vote away

He will announce his retirement this year with an effective date of 2022.

Childress will be named coach in waiting to take over after 2022.

Tried to think of the worst possible scenario so that whatever happens will be better than that.

Or James Dolan sells the Knicks and becomes our AD.

The fact this is even in doubt is just fueling my apathy. We've passed the point where I will be excited to care again. Maybe that changes with the right candidate but I'm not sure that will happen.

My guess right now is no. Should he be? Of course. But I suspect the numbers discussed last year are fairly accurate. I think the BSD folks (who ripped off my name) had some sauces suggesting that the guaranteed money was real. Maybe not $18MM real, but at least $10MM.

After last year, who can predict. I suspect that this time last year the poll would have been about 90-10.

After last year, who can predict. I suspect that this time last year the poll would have been about 90-10.

True, but it seems like we have a clearer understanding this time. We have a better idea that the buyout exists, and we know who actually will be making the decision this time (Last year we thought it would be Currie but it was obviously Wellman). So theoretically, we should be better at predicting what will happen this time.

url
wiw-swingers-party.jpg

url

2Q==

I was disappointed that there was no numbers/doofus option, which is what I would have chosen. I voted no out of complete apathy but really have no idea.

Feels like a no. I for one will gladly take the extra 60+ hours that I would've spent watching our games if he'd been fired.

So what would the results be if I had made this poll should Danny Manning be fired? Excluding troll answers, any Wake fans out there on this board that think it would be the wrong decision for the University to pay the buyout?

I am too lazy to look this up but has there ever been a P5 program that has held on to a HC for 6+ years with a comparable or worse winning %?? If it has happened, I can't think of it.

Last edited:
So what would the results be if I had made this poll should Danny Manning be fired? Excluding troll answers, any Wake fans out there on this board that think it would be the wrong decision for the University to pay the buyout?

If there are any that think Manning should be retained for solely basketball reasons, they are idiots.

Since he will still be coaching, I just clicked on for the tags. Welp. A double nut puncher.

I am too lazy to look this up but has their ever been a P5 program that has held on to a HC for 6+ years with a comparable or worse winning %?? If it has happened, I can't think of it.

This is actually a great question. I had never really thought about it that way.

I am too lazy to look this up but has there ever been a P5 program that has held on to a HC for 6+ years with a comparable or worse winning %?? If it has happened, I can't think of it.

It's not a P5, but in his 12 years at Prairie View (after they went to D1), Elwood Plummer was 39-231.

It's not a P5, but in his 12 years at Prairie View (after they went to D1), Elwood Plummer was 39-231.

I'm sure this might not really be an option, but could we make Danny the big man's coach and then bring in a real HC???? That way you at least get something for the $ and hopefully help our big man recruiting and overall recruiting if we can bring in a great HC along with some other assistants? Then if Danny doesn't like being 2nd on the bench he can quit and we avoid payout?

With the amount we are paying I would hope we would have the ability to hire an Exec. coach to put him over the program, but that might be a hard one for a new coach to deal with Danny boy whining and moaning if he isn't happy.

I can't remember the last time a relatively young, long-term HC was demoted and stayed to be an assistant.

I'm sure this might not really be an option, but could we make Danny the big man's coach and then bring in a real HC???? That way you at least get something for the $ and hopefully help our big man recruiting and overall recruiting if we can bring in a great HC along with some other assistants? Then if Danny doesn't like being 2nd on the bench he can quit and we avoid payout?

With the amount we are paying I would hope we would have the ability to hire an Exec. coach to put him over the program, but that might be a hard one for a new coach to deal with Danny boy whining and moaning if he isn't happy.

no

Back