• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacs Softball?

SCDeac

Reaction score
Probably been discussed before, but is there any chance we ever start a softball program? With Clemson starting up this year, that leaves only us and Miami out of the 15 ACC schools without softball. I seem to remember that Clemson killed off their diving and swimming programs to move resources to softball.

Last edited:
Tags: redneck starts thread, cankles vs thunder thighs, wake joins the sec

Need Men’s Lacrosse over anything. With the type of kids that want to go to Wake, it’s definitely a sport we could excel in.

Need Men’s Lacrosse over anything. With the type of kids that want to go to Wake, it’s definitely a sport we could excel in.

Yeah, we definitely need to add 50 lax bros to the mix at Wake. And with Title IX, we'd have to cut 50 other male athletes or add a proportinate opportunity for women (like women's lacrosse). We would have 100 more athletes on campus with no corresponding increase in enrollment. I hope that Wake is at least another 15 years from a men's lacrosse team.

The numbers in dollars to start these programs is gargantuan. It will never happen. No schools are really adding programs. I asked someone in the AD a few years ago and the numbers to bring on M and W lacrosse was something like 50 mil. We can’t even afford a buyout of a coach running our biggest money maker into the ground. If lacrosse won’t happen when we already have a field (Kentner) and the type of school for it, then softball never will.

The numbers in dollars to start these programs is gargantuan. It will never happen. No schools are really adding programs. I asked someone in the AD a few years ago and the numbers to bring on M and W lacrosse was something like 50 mil. We can’t even afford a buyout of a coach running our biggest money maker into the ground. If lacrosse won’t happen when we already have a field (Kentner) and the type of school for it, then softball never will.

Well-Man was dead set against it before because of what he figured was the "typical" lacrosse athlete that came out during the Duke lacrosse scandal. Of course we know what happened there and how much those nice young men profited from all the lies told about them by Duke University, The Reverend Jesse Jackson & The Reverend Al Sharpton. SO maybe it is time to revisit a mens & womens lax team!

Well-Man was dead set against it before because of what he figured was the "typical" lacrosse athlete that came out during the Duke lacrosse scandal. Of course we know what happened there and how much those nice young men profited from all the lies told about them by Duke University, The Reverend Jesse Jackson & The Reverend Al Sharpton. SO maybe it is time to revisit a mens & womens lax team!

Not sure why you quoted me. Nothing you said is in response to anything I said.

As the Wake Student population grows, it may be necessary to add another sport for women to maintain the proportionality required by Title IX. Softball would be a good choice.

As the Wake Student population grows, it may be necessary to add another sport for women to maintain the proportionality required by Title IX. Softball would be a good choice.

I disagree. We’d have to build all new facilities. At least women’s lax can play at Kentner or Spry (I don’t know lax field dimensions).

I disagree. We’d have to build all new facilities. At least women’s lax can play at Kentner or Spry (I don’t know lax field dimensions).

FH is played on 100 yard long field. Women' lax on 120 yard field. Both 60 yards wide, which is wider than football field. Doesn't look like there is room to extend Kentner playing surface.

FH is played on 100 yard long field. Women' lax on 120 yard field. Both 60 yards wide, which is wider than football field. Doesn't look like there is room to extend Kentner playing surface.

Ahh ok then I go back to my earlier statement and expect no new sports anytime soon unfortunately.

Back