• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report: Miami Hurricanes - Saturday 2 pm RSN

Pilchard

Reaction score
Our lovable Deacs head south to challenge Jim Larranaga's Miami Hurricanes tomorrow. Here is a preview of the Canes:

This season: After a great start to his tenure as the head man in Coral Gables, Larranaga has struggled to find the same magic in recent seasons. A 3 year NCAA tourney run ended in 2018 with Miami dropping back to #75 (14-18; 5-13) last year. This year, Miami's slide has continued as they have fallen to #117 (12-12; 4-10) in what could be Larranaga's final year as the Cane HC (he is 70). After starting the season 9-3 with a win at #29 Illinois, Miami has collapsed, going 3-9 since the start of 2020. All three wins came at home: by 8 over #95 Pitt, by 10 over #97 VT and by 27 over #162 BC this past Wednesday, supporting the point that Miami has been a much more dangerous at home this year: 7-4 (3-4), and all but one of the Canes' home losses have come against the ACC's horses (L'ville, Duke and FSU... and also State). Also, Miami's best player, Chris Lykes, is back after missing two weeks of games in January and February.

Offensive and defensive evaluation (rankings are among the 15 ACC teams): Miami is the #11 rated ACC team on offense. The Canes shoot well from the line 78% (#2), but struggle from the 3 point line (29% - #12); Miami also has been TO prone averaging a TO in 19% of its offensive possessions (#10). Like WF, Miami's offense is dependent upon getting to the line (#3 in the ACC in % of points on free throws). Miami is the worst defensive team in the ACC. DFL in defensive efficiency. LAST in effective FG%; LAST in preventing offensive rebounds. #14 in 3 PT FG defense; #14 in 2 PT FG defense. Miami does not foul a lot on defense: #1 in opponents FTA/FGA.

The lineup: 5-7 Chris Lykes (leading scorer), 6-3 Isiah Wong (leading scorer against BC - 21). 6-3 Dejan Vasiljevic (volume 3 point shooter has taken 6 or more three pointers fifteen times this year), 6-5 Kameron McGusty (Oklahoma transfer; just returned to the starting lineup); 6-8 Keith Stone (can't score). Off the bench, the Canes play frosh 6-4 Harlond Beverly and 6-9 Anthony Walker, along with 7 foot junior Rodney Miller. Wong (48%) and Lykes (38%) are the Canes best threats from deep.

The bottom line: KP projects a tight 77-75 Miami win. Something has to give as WF has lost its last 11 times it has had chance to win consecutive conference games, while Miami has lost its 9 games after an ACC win (neither team has won consecutive ACC games since 2017-8; wow). Seems like locale will decide this game. Would love WF's chances at home, but Miami has played their best in Coral Gables, and they are now back to full health with McGusty and Lykes returning from injuries. Also, Sarr was banged up against UNC, and if he doesn't play (or doesn't play effectively), the Deacs lose their edge inside . WF hasn't won in Coral Gables since... 2007... bet you can't guess WF's leading scorer that season... admit it... you didn't have Kyle Visser (see below)…. Don't see WF breaking that streak....

10210591-large.jpg

Yeah, the Canes getting healthy makes this less of a winnable game. We've stayed close w/ most teams this year, so I expect at least some drama... But it seems like a lot to ask for us to pull out a tight victory away from the Joel.

Probably a game where Lykes lights us up and Vasiljevic hits a bunch of 3s.

On the bright side, this is a meaningless game and an L only makes it easier to move on from Manning.

The battle for 13th place. And to stay ahead of u*NC.

The last game I was actually debating attending was Houston Baptist.

I live outside of Miami. This would be an easy drive, but i can't bring myself to think of a reason to attend.

How many times has the KP prediction been correct?

For some reason, I'm only like 70% that we lose this game. I know Miami is healthy again and it's a road game, but I still think we could win it.
More likely, Deac83 there is right, and we'll lead at the half and then lose at the end. I thought we'd lose to the Holes too on account of the same pattern... that's just what we do.
I won't make a prediction, other than repeating that I think we're 70% likely to lose. I guess we'll all find out soon enough.

That initial shot by Torrey in our 2nd possession was a great example of WF ball in one possession. We take a shot from 18 feet after we've completed exactly one pass in the possession, have a full 25 seconds left on the clock, have absolutely no one in position for an offensive rebound, and use our worst shooter.

Everything is a kind of greenish-yellow.

Yep, that court is annoying as hell.

Two TERRIBLE calls on Sarr.

Neath makes a nice play. So, of course, Danny takes him out of the game.

Never knew G-man was such a toughy.

Yep, that court is annoying as hell.

Two TERRIBLE calls on Sarr.

Neath makes a nice play. So, of course, Danny takes him out of the game.

Neath had a throw away pass.

Back