• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Happy 10th Anniversary - #23/#25 Wake Forest in Feb 15, 2010 AP/Coaches Polls

I forget who it was who initially predicted a “lost decade,” but you are the only one of us that as a clue about this debacle.
Looks like WakeForestRanger used the term on 1/2/2012:

"The right hire could turn our program around within a couple of years. But if the next hire is botched we're looking at a lost decade."

Hey, I hope a new coach can come in and get a good bump right away and maintain it, but I’m skeptical we can do this both quickly and maintain it.

It was done before. Odom followed the Staak mess. He got some good recruits, started the overseas pipeline with an Israeli Air Force pilot, took a kid from Maryland when they went on probation. The added a late qualifying kid from Durham to his first class. Wake went from dregs of the conference to competitive in a year. The outside of the continental U.S. pipeline kept delivering players and the team delivered championships. His teams remained.competitive until he was left hanging at the end of his contract.

That can be done again.

It has been done.

You need 1-2 very good players and a bunch of solid role players to compete in college basketball- if you have a good coach. A rebuild doesn’t have to take long, as noted.

It was done before. Odom followed the Staak mess. He got some good recruits, started the overseas pipeline with an Israeli Air Force pilot, took a kid from Maryland when they went on probation. The added a late qualifying kid from Durham to his first class. Wake went from dregs of the conference to competitive in a year. The outside of the continental U.S. pipeline kept delivering players and the team delivered championships. His teams remained.competitive until he was left hanging at the end of his contract.

That can be done again.

It has been done.

Staak left some players and had the inside track on Rodney when he left.

Staak left some players and had the inside track on Rodney when he left.

Yep. The cupboard will be bare next year, even if Chaundee and Sarr play the senior seasons at Wake.

Yep. The cupboard will be bare next year, even if Chaundee and Sarr play the senior seasons at Wake.

Oguama, Massoud, Mucius and Neath are good players who could be complementary players. Mucius in particular looks like he is becoming the "glue guy" like Jamaal Levy was. Guy who does a little bit of whatever it takes to help you win. Never really stands out.

Oguama, Massoud, Mucius and Neath are good players who could be complementary players. Mucius in particular looks like he is becoming the "glue guy" like Jamaal Levy was. Guy who does a little bit of whatever it takes to help you win. Never really stands out.

Lol. Yeah, throw in a perennial NBA All-Star and a couple of borderline NBA guys and you've got a good team there to go with the complementary players.

If Sarr and Brown return, the cupboard won’t be bare. Those guys aren’t as good as Chris King was in 1990, but college basketball is not as deep as it was in 1990 either.

The real problem with trying to draw a parallel to 30 years ago is that even if we get the 2021 version of Rodney Rogers, we’ll have him for one year, not three.

Those guys aren't even as good as Trelonnie Owens and Anthony Tucker.

Owens was All-ACC as a senior.

3rd team all-ACC in a 9 team league

9 teams * 5 starters = 45 starters in the ACC; 15 of 45 (33%) made All-ACC first 3 teams

He was a good player

Bryant Crawford, Devin Thomas, Cody Miller McIntyre...those guys were all Honorable Mention all-ACC in a 15-team league (15 teams * 5 starters = 75 ACC starters).

in 2018 there were 10 All-ACC HM selections meaning 25 players made All-ACC HM or better out of 75 ACC starters - 33% of starters

Last edited:
3rd team all-ACC in a 9 team league

9 teams * 5 starters = 45 starters in the ACC; 15 of 45 (33%) made All-ACC first 3 teams

He was a good player

Bryant Crawford, Devin Thomas, Cody Miller McIntyre...those guys were all Honorable Mention all-ACC in a 15-team league (15 teams * 5 starters = 75 ACC starters).

in 2018 there were 10 All-ACC HM selections meaning 25 players made All-ACC HM or better out of 75 ACC starters - 33% of starters

I get your point but then you need to look at the quality of the starters. Making 3rd team All-ACC in an era in which top players stayed 3 or 4 years is a better accomplishment than HM now.

Can’t find that team but there were several NBA guys on it. (RIP Charlie Board’s ACC stats website)

I get your point but then you need to look at the quality of the starters. Making 3rd team All-ACC in an era in which top players stayed 3 or 4 years is a better accomplishment than HM now.

Can’t find that team but there were several NBA guys on it. (RIP Charlie Board’s ACC stats website)

Sarr in particular is definitely on a trajectory to deserve at least 3rd-team All-ACC, probably better, if he returns next year. He deserves it this year - he's 6th in the league in Offensive Rating, 6th in PER, 11th in WS per 40 minutes.

He is hurt by the fact that he has a terrible coach - I speaking to the hypothetical of Manning getting canned and the new, better coach retaining Sarr.

Brown has been hurt, of course, but I see no reason why he too can't earn at worst 3rd team with a competent coach stressing defense.

Sarr in particular is definitely on a trajectory to deserve at least 3rd-team All-ACC, probably better, if he returns next year. He deserves it this year - he's 6th in the league in Offensive Rating, 6th in PER, 11th in WS per 40 minutes.

He is hurt by the fact that he has a terrible coach - I speaking to the hypothetical of Manning getting canned and the new, better coach retaining Sarr.

Brown has been hurt, of course, but I see no reason why he too can't earn at worst 3rd team with a competent coach stressing defense.

can't edit - *I am speaking

Back