• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Happy 10th Anniversary - #23/#25 Wake Forest in Feb 15, 2010 AP/Coaches Polls

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
https://godeacs.com/news/2010/2/15/Wake_Forest_Enters_AP_Coaches_Top_25_Polls.aspx

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Wake Forest made its season debut in the top 25 polls this week, coming in at No. 23 in the Associated Press Poll and No. 25 in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll.
The Demon Deacons, who have won four straight and six of their last seven games, received 286 points in the AP poll and 58 in the coaches poll.
Wake Forest has received votes in all but two AP polls and three coaches polls this season. The number of points Wake received this week represent a season-high in both polls. The Deacons were listed at 28th in last week's AP poll and 36th in last week's coaches installment.
Wake Forest is one of two ACC teams in this week's top 25, joining Duke who is ranked sixth in both major polls.

We lost at Duke and dropped out of the poll, never to return. We lost 6 of 8 to end the season.

Collins barely got on the court.

I don’t remember us even getting votes that whole year. We were firmly mediocre the whole year. We were first 4 out during much of the ACC stretch.

We were 9-3 going into the ACC schedule and didn’t get back to 6 games over .500 until the last game of the season. We were 15-11 on Feb 14. By comparison, UVa got 2 votes this week at 15-7.

We didn’t do any of the things teams usually do to show up on someone’s ballot. The only win over a ranked team was beating #8 Louisville to get to 17-12. The only four game winning streak was the last three regular season games and an ACCT Tuesday win over BC.

It’s pretty clear the program would be better off if we had lost that Louisville game.

Last edited:
And 11 seeds would be ranked 40something. Probably not even receiving votes.

Well right, but I thought we might have hit it at one point in the year. I’m sure we had our standard late season collapse.

Well right, but I thought we might have hit it at one point in the year. I’m sure we had our standard late season collapse.

No. Read my post. We were firmly mediocre all season and had a late season run to make the other side of the bubble.

I forget who it was who initially predicted a “lost decade,” but you are the only one of us that as a clue about this debacle.

I forget who it was who initially predicted a “lost decade,” but you are the only one of us that as a clue about this debacle.

And it’ll be longer than that. We have a multi-year rebuild in front of us, and who knows if we ever actually recover from this and start make NCAAT appearances with any regularity.

College basketball is so broken nowadays that one good recruiting class with a good coach would put us in the upper half of the ACC. All this multi year bullshit is dumb. A good coach can get us competitive immediately.

College basketball is so broken nowadays that one good recruiting class with a good coach would put us in the upper half of the ACC. All this multi year bullshit is dumb. A good coach can get us competitive immediately.

Agreed. If we get a good coach, a typical class will be around Chaundee/Sarr, Hoard/Mucius/Wright, and Collins/Crawford/Moore. Those types of guys in multiple classes with actual coaching should remain competitive.

And it’ll be longer than that. We have a multi-year rebuild in front of us, and who knows if we ever actually recover from this and start make NCAAT appearances with any regularity.

I disagree. A good coach that can recruit, keep us competitive, coach an entertaining style of basketball, and is a good representative of our community will win back the fanbase even if we're losing games. Think about how optimistic we have been during the Clawson era. That's the kind of coach we need to revive the basketball program.

What sucks the most about the lost decade, imo, is just how dull it was, how predictable, how boring, how utterly miserable stagnating in the same sub-mediocrity year-after-year with personality-less coaches at the helm shitting on the players and fans, night after night. Outside of a brief window during Manning's First Four season, there hasn't been an ounce of excitement with our program.

Hey, I hope a new coach can come in and get a good bump right away and maintain it, but I’m skeptical we can do this both quickly and maintain it.

Back