• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Re-living 1995

deac03

Reaction score
Had a rainy Sunday yesterday and was rifling through Netflix/Hulu/Amazon and coming up uninspired so went to my old movie stack etc. Found the 1995 ACC Championship game and watched the Raycom broadcast. I had just turned 10 years old and my parents, my 3 brothers and I hung on to every shot like it was all that mattered in the world. We practiced the Childress runner for years (still do sometimes) and idolized the control Timmy played with after picking up 3 fouls early. After the game and the tears stopped, we took our Deacon flag, hung it outside the car and drove up and down the street honking the horn. Even watching the pure joy 25 years later as Randolph fell to the ground contesting Stackhouse's last shot and the rest of the team jumped in exultation, it brought a tear to my eyes to hear "Wake Forest wins the ACC championship".

Fuck you Ron Wellman. Fuck you straight to hell for robbing all of us of the faintest hopes that we could ever experience that level of joy from our college basketball program.

My love for Wake Forest basketball really started that year. I was 11 at the time. My father rushed us home earlier that year to see the end of the game at UNC. After that, I begged my parents to take me to a game. My first Wake game was Randolph's last home game where his jersey was retired.

I will always remember watching the ACC Championship game after church that Sunday. My father liked Wake but he particularly hated UNC. I can still hear him yelling at the tv that afternoon for Dean Smith to sit down and shut up.

Wake Forest was busy sucking hard when my kids were 10-11 years old. They'll never be Deacon fans. A lost generation. I am glad for you, and a little jealous, that you got to enjoy the great years at a formative stage of life.

Brilliant game and so glad Rasheed rolled his ankle, thus giving us a considerable advantage in the paint!

LOL at Rasheed sulking on the bench.

Wake Forest was busy sucking hard when my kids were 10-11 years old. They'll never be Deacon fans. A lost generation. I am glad for you, and a little jealous, that you got to enjoy the great years at a formative stage of life.

Same for mine. My boy is 18 this year and he cannot remember a decent Wake team. He is not really a fan. Can't understand why anyone would watch them lose year after year.

My kids are 15 and 8. They love going to Wake sporting events - mainly basketball, tennis, football, and soccer. They have witnessed Wake win a national championship on their own courts, which was an incredibly unique experience. They have also had a ton of fun at bowl games and so many big soccer matches. They enjoy going to basketball games, but I can't wait to see how much fun they have when we're good again.

Raise your hand if you had Rafi's age pegged in the mid to late 20's.

Same for mine. My boy is 18 this year and he cannot remember a decent Wake team. He is not really a fan. Can't understand why anyone would watch them lose year after year.

My daughter just got accepted into Wake and is so excited. But knows that Wake basketball has been a disaster for the last decade. However, she’s taking a positive spin and thinking this is the turning point with a new coach starting her freshmen year. I keep telling her how awesome it was in the early and mid 90’s when I was a student there and hung out with Randolph, Tim, Trelonnie, Scooter, Rusty, etc. I have faith in John Currie and feel the tide is about to turn. Go Deacs!

My love for Wake Forest basketball really started that year. I was 11 at the time. My father rushed us home earlier that year to see the end of the game at UNC. After that, I begged my parents to take me to a game. My first Wake game was Randolph's last home game where his jersey was retired.

I will always remember watching the ACC Championship game after church that Sunday. My father liked Wake but he particularly hated UNC. I can still hear him yelling at the tv that afternoon for Dean Smith to sit down and shut up.

Pretty much the same story, except my best friend was huge UNC fan, and I loved when they lost to rub it in. When Childress crossed up McInnis I went nuts and knew I had to try to reenact it on our neighborhood basketball court. I spent the next week beating him in 1on1 and trying to wave him over every time I blew by him and took a J. Prior to that crossover I was into Duke for Christian Laettner's shot against Kentucky and being the only college kid on the Dream Team, but I was a guard who was into handles and Childress was everything until Iverson came along.

I could literally wring sweat out of my shirt after that game.

Raise your hand if you had Rafi's age pegged in the mid to late 20's.

Still pretty sure he interned in the AD a few years ago.

I wish! I'm a 90s Deac - The Greatest Generation.

Definitely the Greatest. Hopefully one of ours will lead us out of this mess.

Still pretty sure he interned in the AD a few years ago.

Definitely the Greatest. Hopefully one of ours will lead us out of this mess.

I love the 90s Deacs. I will never forget watching the back-to-back ACC basketball championships. I will also never forget my 70s Deacs with back-to-back NCAA golf championships, a basketball elite 8, and the baseball team that came within one game of Omaha.

There was a guy who made some cool Deac T-shirts after each ACCT win...

As a Staak era Deac, I feel bad for the 90's Deacs since they never got to experience the amazing rise of our program.

There was a guy who made some cool Deac T-shirts after each ACCT win...

Got one of those, at the Tournament. Finally wore it out three months ago. Burned it, of course, ‘cause anything else would be sacrilegious.

One of the memories that is always easy to picture. My son was so worried he went out into the concessions area and I told him to get back if we won because we would be going courtside. Randolph hit “the Shot” and I turned and he was by my side. Held our breath on their last possession and then felt such joy.... I will relive those moments all day Wednesday as I break my boycott to see a banner raised for Coach. Well deserved! With him, no D, no play. Thanks Dave!

I will relive those moments all day Wednesday as I break my boycott to see a banner raised for Coach. Well deserved! With him, no D, no play. Thanks Dave!
Not ona boycott, but going to my 1st game all year Wednesday, solely because we are honoring the’95 team.

I also experienced the Staack years as my wife and I are from the class of 1990. Our first four dates were the last home game and the ACC Tournament in 1995. I am disappointed that I am going to be out of town on Wednesday to celebrate the 1995 team, but thankfully, I am reminded of them every day. My daughter is a sophomore at Wake and is a faithful fan. Hope she gets to see the start of something special before she leaves.

Got one of those, at the Tournament. Finally wore it out three months ago. Burned it, of course, ‘cause anything else would be sacrilegious.

Mine fell apart about 5-6 years ago, but I did wear it to play a lot of ball in.

Back