• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report - Georgia Tech - Wednesday 7 pm RSN

Pilchard

Reaction score
Georgia Tech is the only ACC Team WF has yet to play this season, and WF finally meets their "natural rival" (remember when the ACC designated WF and GT as natural basketball rivals when the ACC first stopped playing every conference team home and home?) this Wednesday night. Here is the breakdown of the Rambling Wreck:

The season: Rested GT visits LJVM as the Jackets enjoyed a week off after their best win of the season a 64-58 wire to wire victory over #5 L'ville. #82 GT currently sports a 12-13 (6-8 record) with top 100 wins over: #60 NC State (twice), #88 Boise State, #94 UNC, #93VT and L'ville. Jackets have a 4-6 road record, but are 2-0 playing in the state of NC (wins at UNC and State). The Jackets are banned from post-season play (including the ACC Tournament); so, GT has six games left in their season.

Offensive and defensive trends in ACC play: The Rambling Wreck is the #8 ACC team on offense, and among the best at scoring inside in conference play -- 52% 2 PT FG% (#2); 59% of the GT offense comes from 2 point FGs (#1 among ACC teams). OTOH, GT turns the ball over often (22% TO rate - DFL in the ACC), they don't shoot FTs well (66% - #13), and the Wreck doesn't rely on the 3 point shot (only 24% of their offense comes from behind the arc -- #14). GT is similarly mediocre on defense (#8) fouling A LOT. In ACC play, the Wreck is #14 in opponents FTA per FGA; opponents also rebound 32% of their missed shots against GT (#10), and they don't force many TOs (TOs on 17% of their defensive possessions - #9). GT does defend the 3 point line well (31% -- #4) and has a solid overall effective FG% defense (47% -- #4).

The lineup: Unless they are in foul trouble, Pastner keep his horses in the game. In the win over L'ville, the starters plus Bubba Parham played 184 of the available 200 minutes. Most recently, Tech started: 6-0 Jose Alvarado (streaky from 3 - when he hits 2 or more 3 pointers in a conference game GT is 6-4; when he doesn't, GT is 0-4), 6-5 Michael Devoe (can get hot: has scored 20+ eight times), 6-7 Jordan Usher (USC transfer - selfish player - shooting 16% from 3; has the highest TO rate among the regulars), 6-9 Moses Wright (steady - has scored in double figures in 12 of GT's 14 ACC games - can't shoot from deep --22%) and 6-10 James Banks (Texas transfer -- leading rebounder - no threat from 3). Off the bench, Pastner inserts 5-10 Bubba Parham (VMI transfer - very quick) and 6-10 Evan Cole (coming off an injury). Devoe, Alvarado and Parham are the only Tech players with more than 6 three pointers on the season.

Bottom line: KP projects a 70-68 WF win. Deacs will need to defend the paint, get the Jackets in foul trouble, and prevent Alvarado and/or Devoe from taking over the game. Deacs will have a week off after this game; so, there is little doubt Coach Manning will have his team ready for a max effort.... Ok, maybe there is some doubt about that.... GT plays a lot of close games: GT has not had an double digit ACC win or loss since beating BC on January 11 (8 games ago). This one looks like a tight contest as well. Given that the game is at home (WF has won 3 of 4 at home; the one loss was in OT to UVA), and that WF out-shoots GT from the line (75% to 65%); lean to the WF side, but that lean is shaky... very shaky...

Last edited:
Would really like to win this for the ‘95 team and Odom.

With Tim Duncan in the house, the Deacs will probably win.

Will this be Duncan's first return to WF for a basketball game since he graduated? If not, got to be his first return to the LJVM since Odom left.

I think this team has one more ACC win in them — either G. Tech or Notre Dame at home. Hope it is tomorrow. We are not going to beat Duke, or either Carolina or State on their homecourts. Both UNC and State are basket cases right now, but both have enough pure talent to beat us on their home courts, regardless of coaching or effort.

I think this team has one more ACC win in them — either G. Tech or Notre Dame at home. Hope it is tomorrow. We are not going to beat Duke, or either Carolina or State on their homecourts. Both UNC and State are basket cases right now, but both have enough pure talent to beat us on their home courts, regardless of coaching or effort.

Have a feeling that WF will be in position to beat Duke (like last year, when it was even more unlikely). Could see WF losing in the final seconds again, or possibly pulling the upset. FWIW, Bz's last home win as WF's coach was home win over a top 8 ranked Duke team.

I think Ga Tech gets our bigs in foul trouble and we lose by 5.

With Tim Duncan in the house, the Deacs will probably win.

has this been verified?

Last time I can recall him making a Winston appearance was 4-5 years ago in August. Both he and CP3 visited players, etc on campus. I remember seeing pictures.

Other than that, Duncan has had almost zero appearances. I hope he shows up.

I know it'll never happen, but it would nice to hear Duncan publicly comment on the state of the Joel and our program versus what he helped build. I suppose we can hope that he makes those comments privately to the right people.

I know it'll never happen, but it would nice to hear Duncan publicly comment on the state of the Joel and our program versus what he helped build. I suppose we can hope that he makes those comments privately to the right people.

Probably the same thoughts as the rest of us. What the hell happened!?!!?

has this been verified?

Last time I can recall him making a Winston appearance was 4-5 years ago in August. Both he and CP3 visited players, etc on campus. I remember seeing pictures.

Other than that, Duncan has had almost zero appearances. I hope he shows up.

I know Duncan was on campus for Harry Giles official visit

FWIW, Manning and Duncan shared 6 NBA seasons, and Manning played in the West for all, but two of those seasons; so, I would think that Duncan and Manning are well-acquainted with each other if not friends.

I think if more than likely we get a Duncan quote, like the Bz press release, praising Danny.

Will this be Duncan's first return to WF for a basketball game since he graduated? If not, got to be his first return to the LJVM since Odom left.

He came back for a game when they retired his jersey. Don't remember when that was.

FWIW, Manning and Duncan shared 6 NBA seasons, and Manning played in the West for all, but two of those seasons; so, I would think that Duncan and Manning are well-acquainted with each other if not friends.

So they played against each other 20 times, assuming Manning wasn't hurt, which he usually was.

Just checked. He averaged 55 games those last six years of his career. His final season he only played 13 games for Detroit (East), so throw that one out and he and Duncan overlapped 5 years, 4 in the West, or 18 games. Considering he averaged 63 games those years, he would have played in about 77% of those 18 games or 14 games. I didn't check to see if they ever matched up in the playoffs.

So I doubt they played against each other very much. Of course Duncan is familiar with Manning though.

Can't wait to see the ultra-annoying Alvarado showboat non-stop as we lose on our home floor with Tim and Odom watching.

Back