• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC backs one-time transfer across all sports.

TheReff

Rod Griffin
Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/college-sports...udent-athletes-allowed-one-transfer-exemption

sorry if already posted somewhere.

The ACC is joining the Big Ten in supporting a one-time transfer exemption for student-athletes in all sports.

The league announced Monday that it "unanimously concluded" at its annual winter meetings that athletes in all sports should be allowed to transfer one time without having to sit out a year of competition. NCAA rules currently allow a one-time transfer exemption for athletes in all but five sports: football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball and men's ice hockey. Athletes transferring in those sports must sit out a year of competition unless they graduate from their original institution or obtain an immediate-eligibility waiver from the NCAA.

Big Ten athletic directors confirmed last month that the league in 2019 introduced a proposal for a one-time transfer exemption in all sports. The proposal is not being considered because the NCAA board of directors in November imposed a moratorium on all transfer related proposals. Ohio State athletics director Gene Smith told ESPN that he hoped the Big Ten's proposal would "force a discussion" among other leagues about changing the transfer rules.

"The ACC discussed the transfer environment and unanimously concluded that as a matter of principle we support a one-time transfer opportunity for all student-athletes, regardless of sport," the ACC said in a statement Monday. "As a conference, we look forward to continuing the discussion nationally."

A Big Ten athletic director said the league hopes the moratorium soon will be lifted, and the proposal could be considered as early as this spring, with a potential vote at the 2021 NCAA convention.

This is a long overdue change. However, the full longterm impact of such a liberalizing of the transfer rules is still murky. Still, fairs' fair. Why shouldn't the guys and gals that actually make the current revenue sports revenue sports be able to do what everyone else can?
I will admit however, I'm not certain I like the idea of players transferring from one league member to another league member. That's already blocked frequently under the current circumstances so I doubt it'll suddenly be allowed if this change goes through.
Overall, it's about time for this change.

This is a long overdue change. However, the full longterm impact of such a liberalizing of the transfer rules is still murky. Still, fairs' fair. Why shouldn't the guys and gals that actually make the current revenue sports revenue sports be able to do what everyone else can?
I will admit however, I'm not certain I like the idea of players transferring from one league member to another league member. That's already blocked frequently under the current circumstances so I doubt it'll suddenly be allowed if this change goes through.
Overall, it's about time for this change.

All true and when coaches can job hop I don't see why players, who a lot of time come to the school because of certain position coaches who might then leave, can't then be given one chance to transfer free of charge.

Probably the right thing to do for the kids but I can’t imagine it will help the popularity of the sport. With increased turnover a lot of fans feel way less connected to the athletes on the field. Which is showing in decreased attendance and eyeballs, particularly with men’s basketball.

Probably the right thing to do for the kids but I can’t imagine it will help the popularity of the sport. With increased turnover a lot of fans feel way less connected to the athletes on the field. Which is showing in decreased attendance and eyeballs, particularly with men’s basketball.

Good post. Gonna suck to recruit the next John Collins and have him transfer to Duke or Carolina after his freshman year.

Agree with this.

Good post. Gonna suck to recruit the next John Collins and have him transfer to Duke or Carolina after his freshman year.

Just amazes me how beatdown our fanbase is.

With rare exceptions, it's not going to be the star player that transfers, but the players that aren't getting time.

With rare exceptions, it's not going to be the star player that transfers, but the players that aren't getting time.

You must be forgetting that Collins was the star player AND a player that wasn't getting much time because we have a bumbling buffoon as coach.

Our starting QB just transferred to UGA. If Sage could transfer without sitting out, might he want to play with his brother and Sam Howell? I actually think we could get more overall transfers in as a result of this, but potentially lose more key players to bigger programs that would be more detrimental to the program(s).

College athletes are now basically free agents, all with the freedom to choose their professional sports team. That being said the competitive balance of college football and college basketball were already fucked, so it can only get better.

End result is this will put even more emphasis on good coaching, since players will flock to the coaches perceived as the best when the opportunity arises.

You must be forgetting that Collins was the star player AND a player that wasn't getting much time because we have a bumbling buffoon as coach.

Our starting QB just transferred to UGA. If Sage could transfer without sitting out, might he want to play with his brother and Sam Howell? I actually think we could get more overall transfers in as a result of this, but potentially lose more key players to bigger programs that would be more detrimental to the program(s).

We also get grad transfers don't forget. Just got an Oline starter from Maryland. Let's build our programs so we are the franchise that everybody WANTS to transfer TO!

For this to work, there needs to be a defined transfer window in May, at the end of the school.

When John Collins became a star, the only place he was transferring to was the NBA.

The Newman transfer was the exception rather than the rule, and still think that a factor in Newman's decision was that he felt Hartman was a threat to his PT next year. If Sage Surratt wanted to leave the WF program, he would be headed to the draft.

WF has had a ton of solid/star football 5th year players in recent years that could've left the program and played right away for virtually any program in the country under the current rules (Basham, Hinton, Henderson, Washington, Strnad, Gilliam, Herron, Glenn, Benzinger, Haynes, Rodney) and they stayed at WF. The few that have left are guys that either weren't getting time or weren't getting a lot of time. WF is not going to lose its star players because of this rule. There is nothing more LOWF than our own fanbase. Sad.

Last edited:
Pilch, I’m pretty sure tigers is saying under the proposed rule, an underutilized Collins who averaged 14 minutes a game could have transferred after his freshman year, become a star elsewhere and gone to the NBA.

Duh. It’s not hard.

And the thinking that the majority of those guys Pilch mentions could have played for “virtually any program in the country” is, umm, interesting. How many would UGA have wanted, since they wanted Newman?

I’m not saying the sky is falling at all. This just makes it far more likely that a stud freshman/sophomore chooses to leave to chase a national championship/higher draft stock at a perennial power. As I said, I also think we’ll benefit a lot under Clawson getting some solid contributors from other programs, but we’re not going to be a likely transfer destination for elite players.

College basketball is headed toward an unstable future. Any recruit would have three exit points before reaching a second year. Go pro from HS, go pro as a freshman, transfer elsewhere to play as a sophomore.

For this to work, there needs to be a defined transfer window in May, at the end of the school.
Absolutely.
End of school year for all athletes is the best time.
If, IF when NCAA finally passes this, you can guarantee they'll put as much regulationary strings attached as possible.

Absolutely.
End of school year for all athletes is the best time.
If, IF when NCAA finally passes this, you can guarantee they'll put as much regulationary strings attached as possible.

That would be interesting timing for football. Guys who are seen by the coaches as key reserves after spring practice may see themselves as starters elsewhere.

One issue to be worked out is the status of scholarship for any player interested in transferring. If he enters the portal, does he retain any rights to a scholarship at his current school? Or, as Fuentes unartfully put it, you enter the portal, you're not coming back.

This is incredibly naive. While the right thing to do, this is going to sting the smaller schools and less successful programs in favor of the alabamas, dukes, and UConn’s of the world ( football, mbb, wbb).

Back