• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would you be excited if Beilein was the next Bball coach at Wake Forest?

Would you be excited if Beilein was the next Bball coach at Wake Forest?

• Yes

Votes: 134 88.7%
  • No

Votes: 17 11.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
His age is worrisome, but the guy can coach. Anyone is more exciting than DM

if this change happens in 2020, yes

if he becomes the next WFU BB coach in 2025, no

I'd be pumped. People act like there aren't exciting up and coming coaches every year. Who cares if Beilein is older? Man can coach. If he gets us to a solid place in a 4 seasons and retires, we're in a much stronger position to have our pick of the proven younger guys. Would Anthony Grant want to give up a good thing to take over this dumpster fire? What if we were already a top-40 team?

I'll be excited if Manning gets fired. Anything beyond that is gravy.

Yes. Finally someone who knows what he’s doing. It would be like an adult taking charge of an unsupervised daycare.

who the fuck said 'No'? verified good coach, a little old but what pie in the sky coach do you think we can get?

I would be excited. However, it makes way too much sense for Wake to do it.

Yes please. Have we ever hired a coach in any sport that has his kind of resume?

Sorry to rain on the Bielien parade and I know people pooh pooh it, but it looks like we may be balls to the walls for SHAKA. CLEARLY if he's coming to football games at Groves he's not looking to stay at big state university (yes there were a lot of students at VCU, but it's not the same as TX, UCLA, AZ or a similar school. It's a commuter school). The ACC will be the #1 conference for decades.

SHAKA and CURRY are friends. SHAKA could stay Wake for the rest of his career and be a legendary.

If CURRY settles for Bielien and doesn't take a shot for SHAKA, we are being LOWF. You can't win if you don't try.

I love Beilein as a coach and in retrospect would have preferred him to Prosser. That said, I voted no due to age. We're pretty much a total rebuild, and realistically I don't see him coaching that much longer. And why would he, at his age, want a total rebuild?

There really isn't a name out there who exactly excites me.

He has won everywhere he has gone (except Cleveland). If he is interested, it would be a no-brainer to hire him.

Aside from probably not wanting this specific job, the only concern I'd have is if he is able to put in the kind of work that it'll take to turn this dumpster fire around. That concern is somewhat abated by the likelihood that he'll be highly motivated given how much of a shitshow his time in Cleveland turned out to be. I doubt he wants that to be his legacy after a largely successful coaching career.

who the fuck said 'No'? verified good coach, a little old but what pie in the sky coach do you think we can get?

Some "smart" folks over on the Facebooks compared him to [Redacted] (due to his failure as an NBA head) and wished for someone like Childress who could "bring our identity back." Hard to argue with that!!!

I love Beilein as a coach and in retrospect would have preferred him to Prosser. That said, I voted no due to age. We're pretty much a total rebuild, and realistically I don't see him coaching that much longer. And why would he, at his age, want a total rebuild?

There really isn't a name out there who exactly excites me.

Beilein has the potential to land a Top 10 class to Wake Forest in Y1 or Y2 based on his name alone and a "come return Wake to #1" marketing plan. There's no one else we could hire, besides maybe Matta, who could pull that off. It's not a drawn out rebuild if done correctly. Two good classes and excellent coaching would have us competing in no time. By Y5/6, he can retire and we are in a great place to make another great hire. Pining for someone who will be here 10+ years is nice, but finding that person may mean hiring/firing 2-3 more coaches, and we don't have time for that shit right now.

Last edited:
Back