• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NYC recommendation thread

I've been to Dim Sum Go Go, it sucks and the service is awful. There are some gems in Chinatown, but that isn't one of them. Royal Seafood is good, and I've heard good things about Dim Sum VIP which is newer. Don't go to Dim Sum Go Go though, bib gourmand or no.

Luger was a sarcastic rec, I'm sure Palma knows it. Gallagher's is supposed to be legit, but again I'm not a steakhouse guy. I gave a few sincere recs around Nolita. Again, palma if you want to say what part of brooklyn you're staying in I could probably give some recommendations out there too.

Since you like Yelp...

https://www.yelp.com/biz/royal-seafood-restaurant-new-york

3* on Yelp

DapperRaggedBluebottlejellyfish-size_restricted.gif

my brother in law's place is like a block from canal on mulberry, so i've been to like 30 dim sum places near his apartment whilst hungover

royal seafood is good for cheap traditional dim sum with the cart and nice fresh seafood, it'll be all old azns in there, not doing it on the decor front either haha, wouldn't expect a good yelp rating at a place like that.

dim sum go go doesn't have the cart, it is more like pricey small plates than dim sum and you'll wait 45 minutes for a table to pay a lot for frozen food heated up, and you're not gonna be able to just try a bunch of stuff marking off a paper if that's the experience you're after

as for yelp vs michelin, i think there's good and bad to both

yelp is ok if you're just googling a place and want to read some quick reviews to get an idea if it's for you, but wisdom of crowds is a double-edged sword

michelin guide has some weird arbitrary standards about what earns a star and a bib gourmand rating, but there's value to curated lists

i think eater is a good in between for visiting a new city, though it's hit or miss for NY since there are SO MANY options

If you can be more specific about which pinball bar you're staying near I can give some Brooklyn recs, but it would also help if you have a list of the kinds of things you want recs for. Bars, restaurants, museums?

The laundromat one in brooklyn

Plama go for broke and hit up Masa, the most expensive restaurant in the country

I went to the reservation page yesterday but they only had a 9pm. I've done Urasawa (his old restaurant), but I couldn't pull the trigger on a $1,800 meal for two that my wife couldn't finish.

I'm wondering if there is a Rasta/Kosher place in B'lyn. The neighborhoods are so close together.

Jaybone used to be the king of B'lyn.

Just don't play poker in a Chinatown card room. If you win too much, you might not get out of there. :)

Last edited:
Personally, I absolutely adore threads like these. Why I keep coming back.

Re NYC steakhouses. We went to Wolfgang's, which is run by a former Lugar head waiter, and it was fabulous and very reasonable for a NYC steakhouse, IMO.

Re NYC steakhouses. We went to Wolfgang's, which is run by a former Lugar head waiter, and it was fabulous and very reasonable for a NYC steakhouse, IMO.

There's one of those in LA. It has a bidet, and is where I went for the infamous pic

Back