• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NYC recommendation thread

dartsndeacs

THE quintessential dwarf
Reaction score
Grew up in NJ but never spent any time in the city until a month from now. Flying in Thursday 7PM, flying out Tuesday 6PM. Friday is a buddies' 40th birthday party, and have a Sunday night reservation at Per Se, but outside of that I need to show the wife a good time so what should I do? Staying in Brooklyn next to the best pinball bar in the city.

Outside of that I'm thinking central park is a must, probably do a broadway show, but other than that I got nothing. What should we do?

only someone from LA would think that vising central park in mid-march is a must

If you can be more specific about which pinball bar you're staying near I can give some Brooklyn recs, but it would also help if you have a list of the kinds of things you want recs for. Bars, restaurants, museums?

tag: don't expect polite bus drivers like in cali

I'm not sure I would characterize it as a good time, but you should visit ground zero and the museum and memorial to the thousands who were killed there. Seeing video of the twin towers coming down, and some of the artifacts pulled from the rubble may give a hint as to why xenophobia has been on the upswing in this country.

I'm not sure I would characterize it as a good time, but you should visit ground zero and the museum and memorial to the thousands who were killed there. Seeing video of the twin towers coming down, and some of the artifacts pulled from the rubble may give a hint as to why xenophobia has been on the upswing in this country.

Since it's his 40th, stop by Nat Sherman's and get some cigars.

There's a place way downtown that used to have darts and pinball. I think it's called Ace Bar or something like that. It's a little divey but lots of fun. I think they still call bars with pinball machines arcades for some reason. So, you might want to Google that.

If you want to go old school in Little Italy, maybe you can get the Joey Gallo table at Umberto's Clam Bar.

Dim Sum Go Go is always packed but is really good as is Shanghai 21.

Fridays/Saturdays they have an open air market at Union Square.

Caroline's is always good for comedy.

Remember, go to or Google TKTS for Broadway shows. You can save up to 50%.

I have tons of recs, but when I was there for the Pinstripe Bowl I had killer meals at Nowon (Korean; LES), Casa Ora (Venezuelan; Williamsburg), and Queen's Comfort (fat kid food brunch; Astoria)

like Townie said, you gotta be a little more specific -- New York is (obviously) a huge-ass place

Go to The Bronx and do the Jenny From the Block Tour.

rj's recommendations always crack me up. Don't eat Italian food in Little Italy.

Ace Bar is actually kinda fun, though kinda a dime a dozen for shitty dives with games. If you're in Alphabet City/East Village you could do worse though. I spent like four hours at Nancy Whiskey with my dad in Soho playing shuffleboard, and that's about as shitty as it gets.

If you are planning on hanging out in LES, Nolita, or the village feel free to PM.

Back