• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Something I just realized... (MBB related)

My kids have been to one Wake basketball game — the loss to Houston Baptist. :mad:

I mean, that game is a good representation of the past decade of Wake hoops, so they got the full experience. That's efficiency.

As you say, we have lost an entire generation (if not two) of fans due to this self-imposed death penalty.

My youngest kid, who is now 14, has no memory of Wake men's basketball ever being good, or even relevant. He loves to go to Thunderbirds hockey games (we are going tonight) because it is a fun atmosphere and they are good. He has not the slightest interest whatsoever in every going to a Wake men's B-ball game. Honestly, why should he?

I remember so clearly when my now 14 year old daughter was sitting next to me when she was 4 and we were either #1 or just had been #1 playing either a top 5 Duke/UNC and it was the pregame hype with music pumping, tie-dye students jumping, and the Deacon coming out on the Harley revving it up and my daughter turns to me and says "Daddy I want to go to one of those games". My heart melted, a tear formed in my eye and responded "honey you better believe you and Daddy will go to one of those games."

Of course the titanic began to quickly sink and no way was I exposing myself nor my daughters to the junk product that quickly came after Dino was given the boot.

So sad....

The last game I went to was the 2009 NCAAT disaster game in Miami. Four hour road trip with my son to watch that. He ended up going to UF a few years later, and it's a pity he never got to enjoy some of the games I went to in the early 90's with my father. It was like my Staak years while at Wake, but on a larger scale compiled into a singular event.

Two of my sons were lucky enough to hang out at a few practices under Skip. Imagine a head coach of a major program allowing a middle school basketball coach to come to his practices anytime I wanted. Plus, he (and Dino) always welcomed my kids and would joke with them every time. The boys would chase jump shots from CP3 & J Gray. They would mess around with Jamaal Levy and Big E (two big kids in their own right) and the trips to the Joel were always special. My third is now 16 and I have to pay him to go to a game with me. That only works half the time. It is remarkable and so tragic what has become of Wake basketball.

I really don't see us being a Top 20 team for another ?? years.

Why bother with Wake Basketball when you have YouTube and Instagram or whatever on your phone?

Do they play the games on my phone?

The last 3 posts each deserve a f u wellman thread bump. My kids have zero interest in wake bball and probably never will.

The last 3 posts each deserve a f u wellman thread bump. My kids have zero interest in wake bball and probably never will.

Well, I don’t blame that disaster loss on Mr. Wellman. We had players that had basically quit trying any type of cohesive team basketball by this time in the season (far to concerned with NBA aspirations), and a coach that had completely lost control of the team.

Two of my sons were lucky enough to hang out at a few practices under Skip. Imagine a head coach of a major program allowing a middle school basketball coach to come to his practices anytime I wanted. Plus, he (and Dino) always welcomed my kids and would joke with them every time. The boys would chase jump shots from CP3 & J Gray. They would mess around with Jamaal Levy and Big E (two big kids in their own right) and the trips to the Joel were always special. My third is now 16 and I have to pay him to go to a game with me. That only works half the time. It is remarkable and so tragic what has become of Wake basketball.

I really don't see us being a Top 20 team for another ?? years.

This is depressing to read.

I remember so clearly when my now 14 year old daughter was sitting next to me when she was 4 and we were either #1 or just had been #1 playing either a top 5 Duke/UNC and it was the pregame hype with music pumping, tie-dye students jumping, and the Deacon coming out on the Harley revving it up and my daughter turns to me and says "Daddy I want to go to one of those games". My heart melted, a tear formed in my eye and responded "honey you better believe you and Daddy will go to one of those games."

Of course the titanic began to quickly sink and no way was I exposing myself nor my daughters to the junk product that quickly came after Dino was given the boot.

So sad....

Yep, this is it right here. Greater than the financial loss Wake Forest has suffered is the loss of family memories centered around WFU Hoops. I don't think the administration realizes how much power there is in that, and how it has ebbed away.

I have many memories of going with my family to Wake football games. They bought season tickets when Groves Stadium opened, and we had our name on the back of our seats.

I also remember the 1-11 seasons.

Back