• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disco Dan takes Well-Man to task in 2012 interview!

TheReff

Rod Griffin
Reaction score
https://www.journalnow.com/sports/w...cle_c60e0006-47f9-11e2-a7a9-0019bb30f31a.html

MTOW: Jeff [Redacted] is 25-47 at Wake Forest, and has yet to give the fans a victory that they could revel in as a breakthrough accomplishment.
RW: I don’t know how you define great wins. And I will agree with you there hasn’t been a benchmark win. We haven’t beaten UNC or Duke or a team like that. But what I’m looking for is progress and improvement. I’ve seen that. I see what Jeff is doing in response to what he was asked to do. And he’s doing that. He was asked to build a culture that would be sustainable through a season and over many, many years.

MTOW: Do you see players in that class with an ability to change the direction of a program in the manner of a Randolph Childress or Rodney Rogers or Chris Paul?
RW: I think any number of them could become that. I don’t know if any of them are Randolph or Tim or Rodney, some of those types of guys right now. But collectively I’m really excited about them, and as we go on one of them might emerge as that type of player. If you look at Andre Washington, you look at everything he does athletically, it’s pretty exciting.

RW: Jeff thought the staff members were good for Wake Forest and he wanted to keep them. That was his decision.
MTOW: Totally his decision?
RW: Totally his decision. The only thing I told those staff members was that they would have an opportunity to talk with Jeff. And they did, and their reputation was very good with Jeff. And when he met them, he felt they could be a positive influence on the program going forward.

MTOW: When [Redacted] was hired in April of 2010, the roster was pretty depleted of proven ACC players. Did you not see a need for a more media-savvy, charismatic coach to get you through what may be a rough time?
RW: I wanted a great basketball coach.
MTOW: So you didn't take the PR component into account?
RW: I wanted a great basketball coach. RW:I don’t know any other head coach who spends as much time on the road recruiting as Jeff does. He’s been gone for four days. So he’s just a recruiting nut. He is on the move all the time. He has great ability to evaluate kids. What Jeff does is, he has the ability to project. He doesn’t just see a kid for who he is right now. He has the ability to project that individual two, three, four years down the road. He did that at Colorado and I think he’s doing it here as well. Our future is bright because of Jeff’s approach with this program.

Dan had RW right in his cross hairs here and would not let him off the hook. Wonder how an interview would go now with RW?

more like President Wellman. Dude should be on the debate stage.

"He's just a recruiting nut."

*cue Curb Your Enthusiasm theme with Rondale Watson signing his LOI*

He built a culture alright... A culture of shitty basketball that extended 6 years after his departure. [Redacted] made a lasting impact on Wake Forest basketball.

Wisdom from the kind of man that gets streets named after him.
:/

Thomas was a 200+ ranked recruit.

I’d have to go back and look at the highest ranked.

Honestly, given his (lack of) personality I am surprised he got anybody to play for him.

CMM (#77 that year) followed by Bill Moto and Greg McClinton (both just outside top 100 in their years).

McClinton could've been real good if not for his injury issues. He was ranked a lot higher pre-injury IIRC

I read that and my mouth literally dropped open in disbelief.

I've been watching Wake basketball since the days of Bones McKinney. I graduated from Wake in '69. I've seen some outstanding teams, some mediocre teams and some bad teams but the crap that we have had with (name redacted) and Mannequin is unbelievable. Sure McCloskey and Staak sucked wind but we still had hope that things would be fixed. I don't have hope now.

Thanks, Well Man.

RW really didn't learn anything from his mistakes with Bzz... Do you need someone with charisma? RW: Nope!

At least with Manning, the hire wasn't a complete head scratcher. Not a great hire by any means, but it was ok and at least somewhat understandable/reasonable. Manning had ties to the area, had quality experience as an assistant, and showed promise at a mid-major as a HC (albeit with very limited data wrt the HC part).

I really don't see Currie making a hire similar to RW's last two. His prior stints reveal no evidence he approaches hiring the same way as RW. Currie seems to be more of a swing for the fences type, even if that's with a high risk, boom-or-bust candidate.

Back