• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report: Duke at WF - LJVM - Tuesday 7 pm - ACCN

This win is pretty meaningless if we don't win the rest of our games this season.

Let me guess, you've never played sports have you? This in NO WAY will save Manning's job and it was good to see the kids get an emotional win. For all the crap Brandon has had thrown on him here, tonight he cleaned all of it off as far as I'm concerned.

:stupid:

The game lead Sportscenter bc we are such a dumpster fire.

A shitbag program beating Duke is man bites dog news

Manning is gone. There is no way a new AD, even a Wellman kiss ass like Currie, keeps this complete loser

The perception of Duke is so skewed as compared to reality.

Duke's last 1st place regular season ACC finish: 2010 (tie)

Duke's last outright ACC regular season title: 2006

During that 14 year span, no one has more McDonald's A-A's, more first round picks and more ridiculous hype. Last year's Duke team had the 1st, 3rd and 10th picks in the NBA draft, plus Tre Jones, who may be a 1st round pick next year. Yet, they could've/should've lost to UCF and VT, and did lose to Michigan State in the NCAAs. At this point, the Duke bench looks like a scene from Weekend at Bernies with Scheyer and Nate James propping up the corpse. Crazy the pass that program gets for wasting talent and for running kids through that essentially major in basketball for 8 months.

Yeah, I thought Coach K looked almost disinterested last night on the bench. Makes you wonder if we're not nearing the end of his tenure. I'm sure he didn't mind having a chance to rip his players though and "build on the loss."

Yeah, I thought Coach K looked almost disinterested last night on the bench. Makes you wonder if we're not nearing the end of his tenure. I'm sure he didn't mind having a chance to rip his players though and "build on the loss."

Plenty of reasons to loathe Coach K, but this is not one of them. K is crazy like a fox. He is making the NCAA tournament as a 3-seed or better and is making the ACC tournament as a 4-seed or better (guaranteeing two byes). A loss like this serves as a way to motivate his team. I guarantee he was the only guy on the Duke bench who really didn't care if they won or lost. A win and they build some character going down to an inferior team on the road and battling back to coast to the victory (when they were up 9 with 90 seconds left). A loss and he can chew their ass out in practice, make them work harder, and point out errors they made under pressure (like catching a pass).

Again, Duke is not a bubble team, they weren't really playing for anything but pride.

For as much as Childress heroball has sunk us, it was fun to watch him take the game over and actually win it. Neath looks like a real star in the making, great passes, solid driving skills, draws fouls - get Chaundee and a good spot up 3 point shooter to go along with Sarr and Mucius, could have a decent team next year with the right coaching.

THIS^^^^^

This is the first game i watched this year and i tried to pull against the deacs to make sure DM is gone, but couldn't. Duck Fuke.

Last edited:
The perception of Duke is so skewed as compared to reality.

Duke's last 1st place regular season ACC finish: 2010 (tie)

Duke's last outright ACC regular season title: 2006

During that 14 year span, no one has more McDonald's A-A's, more first round picks and more ridiculous hype. Last year's Duke team had the 1st, 3rd and 10th picks in the NBA draft, plus Tre Jones, who may be a 1st round pick next year. Yet, they could've/should've lost to UCF and VT, and did lose to Michigan State in the NCAAs. At this point, the Duke bench looks like a scene from Weekend at Bernies with Scheyer and Nate James propping up the corpse. Crazy the pass that program gets for wasting talent and for running kids through that essentially major in basketball for 8 months.

Are regular season titles even that important to Duke, especially with an unbalanced schedule? They have still won a natty in the last 5 years and made two other elite 8s and another sweet 16 and two ACC tournament titles.

I hate Duke, but that overall is elite program performance.

Last edited:
Are regular season titles even that important to Duke, especially with an unbalanced schedule? They have still won a natty in the last 5 years and made two other elite 8s and another sweet 16 and two ACC tournament titles.

I hate Duke, but that overall is elite program performance.

Disagree based on the fact that Duke has essentially had first dibs on the talent coming in for two decades. Duke has had the best talent in the ACC over the last 10 years, but haven't finished first in the ACC once during the time frame. That is a notable failure to perform.

Here are the recruiting rankings (via 247) by year over the last 5 years:

2015 -- #2 (6 commits - four 5 stars)
2016 -- #1 (6 commits - four 5 stars; one 4 star)
2017 -- #1 (7 commits - four 5 stars; two 4 stars)
2018 -- #1 (5 commits - four 5 stars: one 4 star)
2019 -- #3 (4 commits - two 5 stars; two 4 stars)

Duke has not made a Final Four since 2015. That is under-performing when you have recruited EIGHTEEEN 5 star players, and no one else other than KY is cracking double digits.

Last edited:
Plenty of reasons to loathe Coach K, but this is not one of them. K is crazy like a fox. He is making the NCAA tournament as a 3-seed or better and is making the ACC tournament as a 4-seed or better (guaranteeing two byes). A loss like this serves as a way to motivate his team. I guarantee he was the only guy on the Duke bench who really didn't care if they won or lost. A win and they build some character going down to an inferior team on the road and battling back to coast to the victory (when they were up 9 with 90 seconds left). A loss and he can chew their ass out in practice, make them work harder, and point out errors they made under pressure (like catching a pass).

Again, Duke is not a bubble team, they weren't really playing for anything but pride.

No such thing as regular season title. Just saying.

Being the #1 seed,this year, is important. Do you want uva, if they make the semis or l’ville?

And... who was the team that scored more points on Duke than last night?

holy crap that was fun...I started out hoping that Duke was going to blow us out and put the nail in Danny's coffin, but it was so much fun to see this team actually do something right. And Childress...feel so happy for that kid. This is his moment right here. This is the game that he never forgets.

One thing I thought about at the end is that a potential new coach can watch this and see that Wake has some pieces in place, its just awful coaching that has doomed them for 6 years. I'm intrigued about Sarr, chaundee, Neath, Oguama , Muscius if I'm a coach thinking about a move to winston salem.

Agree.

Hope to be wrong, but regardless who is coaching WF, expect Sarr to play for pay next year. He is 7 feet, has skills and even if the NBA is not an option, got to believe he would be a highly-valued prospect among international teams. From limited observation, Sarr seems happy at WF, but these days, it's just rare for a player to resist the opportunity to make serious cash. Last year, Sarr was still project; he is now a prospect.

I'm curious to see the all-ACC voting this year

Sarr is now 4th in the ACC in PER, 9th in WS/40 minutes

However, for the old school voters, he didn't start much of the year and his counting stats don't leap off the page (not in the top 20 in PPG)

Congrats to Coaches and the players for a win that will be remembered for a long, long time no matter what. They should be happy and excited. They deserve to celebrate this game, this night, this moment. It's what sports is about. If you've actually played sports or been involved at an elite level you know there are no guarantees, and that there's always somebody better than you in any given moment. There's nobody on our team that would start for Duke. Over the last 5 years our two legit 4 star players left early, and the rest of our team( regardless of recruiting stars has generally played no better than a three star level ). To blame individual players or coaching for our overall lack of talent is just mean spirited IMO. Last night was a great example of how our team has actually improved this season. The grit, the heart, the effort and the focus overcame who we actually are on the talent scale. We don't have the kind of talent that can simply go out and win the game for you like Duke has, or like Mike Devoe of GT, or like Louisville has, or like Markell Johnson of NC State, and many others. We may not win another game. But give these guys their moment. They earned it.

Back