• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
She went to a gathering of friends in her graduating class in mid-June. The gathering was outdoors. Maybe 15 or so kids. The host of the party had played youth sports and a few of her teammates who'd just graduated from another high school showed up. One of the girls from that other HS was positive and did not know it. 4-6 kids at that gathering including my daughter got the virus. Two days later some of the kids at that first gathering (thankfully not including my daughter) went to another outdoor party of kids from the graduating class. 10-12 more kids in the graduating class were infected at that second gathering.

Let me guess...no masks?

Let me guess...no masks?

People here are really good about masks indoors. I rarely see people outside with a mask on. So I presume no masks.

She said it was the first time they'd gotten together where someone from another school showed up. Boom. I pointed out to her that even getting together with kids from school is a risk because we all have contacts we make during the course of the day.

Also, the paper here reported on the fact suburban teens were getting the virus a full 18 days after this event. So it is only now parents are focusing on the teen based spread. And I know other HS's have significantly more cases than what happened to her graduating class.

After record setting positive test, hospitalizations and increased deaths, the governor of SC has decided to take the drastic step of making bars and restaurants stop selling alcohol at 11pm. That will show those wild kids. No way the virus will keep spreading now!

SC = freedom! 🤪

People here are really good about masks indoors. I rarely see people outside with a mask on. So I presume no masks.

She said it was the first time they'd gotten together where someone from another school showed up. Boom. I pointed out to her that even getting together with kids from school is a risk because we all have contacts we make during the course of the day.

Also, the paper here reported on the fact suburban teens were getting the virus a full 18 days after this event. So it is only now parents are focusing on the teen based spread. And I know other HS's have significantly more cases than what happened to her graduating class.

Sounds like parental negligence all the way around.

Yep, the data’s pretty thin. But I think it’s very likely that kids are quite able to contract and spread this virus. No good reason to doubt this at this point.

They just appear to be less likely than older folks to get seriously ill or die from it. And they may have overall lower transmissibility. But they aren’t impervious to related serious morbidly or mortality, or unable to transmit the virus.

The precautionary principle should probably apply here and we should just assume kids are spreaders until it’s proven otherwise. The burden of proof should be on showing it is safe.

Coronavirus !!!

“Kids” means lots of different things though. I guess I was under the impression that age 12 (most likely pre/post puberty) was some sort of cutoff relative to the virus - both getting it, spreading to other kids, and spreading to adults.

That could be total misinformation and wishful thinking amongst a bunch of my peers who have kids under 12.

Ultimately, the issue will be teachers getting sick - really sick - and it doesn’t seem like that will take very long regardless of whether they get it from kids or other adults.

Verdict is the same: we are fucked.

“Kids” means lots of different things though. I guess I was under the impression that age 12 (most likely pre/post puberty) was some sort of cutoff relative to the virus - both getting it, spreading to other kids, and spreading to adults.

That could be total misinformation and wishful thinking amongst a bunch of my peers who have kids under 12.

Ultimately, the issue will be teachers getting sick - really sick - and it doesn’t seem like that will take very long regardless of whether they get it from kids or other adults.

Precautionary principle should still apply.

Yeah. Pretty much.

Schools are uniquely fucked.

Think of when the normal flu season flares up, too.

Every hint of a minor cold will ultimately be treated as an impending, school-wide disaster. (As it probably should be in the middle of a pandemic)

Do we have a rolling test system in place for emergency substitute teachers? Hell, I don't think anybody has seriously presented a plan for consistent testing of our states actual teachers. What happens when they bolt and/or responsibly quarantine themselves after close contact?

I genuinely don't know how anybody thinks in-person instruction is even going to be a legitimate option.

2300 new cases in NC today. J think that’s a new record.

Yeah. Pretty much.

Schools are uniquely fucked.

Think of when the normal flu season flares up, too.

Every hint of a minor cold will ultimately be treated as an impending, school-wide disaster. (As it probably should be in the middle of a pandemic)

Do we have a rolling test system in place for emergency substitute teachers? Hell, I don't think anybody has seriously presented a plan for consistent testing of our states actual teachers. What happens when they bolt and/or responsibly quarantine themselves after close contact?

I genuinely don't know how anybody thinks in-person instruction is even going to be a legitimate option.

Who is going to volunteer to substitute for a teacher who tested positive? That means willingly exposing yourself to dozens of people who were exposed to someone who tested positive.

I haven’t seen any plan that remotely works.

The whole plan going back to March should have been centered around safely opening schools in the Fall. Our country barely cares about education but our economy runs on public education as a dominant method of child care.

Instead we were concerned about opening up bars and restaurants in April and were convinced children were somehow invulnerable.

Some article I read this week said something about how the US prides itself on its public education system.

I thought...really?

Some article I read this week said something about how the US prides itself on its public education system.

I thought...really?

Lots of people on this board went to public schools and are damn proud of how fucking smart they are.

EcnGmnbXsAI7tSn

Cal Berkeley reported 24 new cases the other day tied to kids living in sorority and fraternity houses during summer break.

UDub had over 100 such cases a week or two ago.

The Ivy League has cancelled all Fall sports.

The Big Ten has cancelled non-conference football games.

Bama just cancelled their game against So. Cal.

It is just a matter of time. We get to mid-August with things still out of control and schools will be running for the distanced learning model. Teachers and administrators are not just going to throw themselves in harms way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back