• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
173105e59a8d6d19f9be7554d6862a6c.jpg

in the meantime, working parents with young kids scratch heads

Our son has not been to daycare since 3/16. We have actually switched daycares in the middle of this and now paid $3K for a school he has never stepped inside of.

We made the decision tonight to pull him out since there is no end in sight. We will figure it out once my wife’s office reopens.

If you’re having virtual school board meetings to discuss reopening schools, then you are not prepared to reopen schools.

Cooper expected to announce this afternoon that NC schools are going to "Plan B", which is 50% of the kids in schools half the days and 50% the other. That seems to be the worst scenario to me, as 100% of the kids funnel through 100% of the adults each week.

Alternatively, some parents are fine with their kids staying home. Others are fine with them going, or need them to go, to school. So why not ask for those voluntary splits and see how it shakes out? Those who have to go can go, and those who want to stay home can watch via live-stream. That way you get 50-60% of the kids with 100% of the adults every week and 40-50% with 0% of the adults. If total societal interaction is what we trying to minimize, that seems like a helluva lot better result, plus it lets the parents have input on their preference.

Alternatively, some parents are fine with their kids staying home. Others are fine with them going, or need them to go, to school. So why not ask for those voluntary splits and see how it shakes out? Those who have to go can go, and those who want to stay home can watch via live-stream. That way you get 50-60% of the kids with 100% of the adults every week and 40-50% with 0% of the adults. If total societal interaction is what we trying to minimize, that seems like a helluva lot better result, plus it lets the parents have input on their preference.

Aside from the fact that the time it would take to coordinate this means they probably should have started a month ago, this seems like a good idea. At least find out what the splits would be to see if it is feasible.

Lots of holes with this kind of hybrid plan. Our district briefly considered it and ruled it out. Hard to see it working for a whole state.

The best plan I have seen for reopening basically involves distance learning for high school, and using the high school buildings to provide in person education for younger kids so there is room to spread all the kids out and maximize social distancing. This seems smart to me because (a) it seems like the older kids are most at risk of catching and spreading the bug and (b) it frees up parents of young kids to go back to work. I don't think the current Cooper plan B is nearly as good.

Most of the Northern Virginia counties are on the hybrid plan.

Regardless, the virus is going to determine what actually happens with school. If huge spikes continue into the Fall and Winter, then there won't be in person learning or it will soon stop when the outbreaks hit. When/if a vaccine is massively distributed or if at some point the virus just runs its course, everyone will be back in school. Until then, "plans" don't mean much.

In other covid news, a couple of articles I came across this morning that demonstrate how badly the US is doing compared to the rest of the world, all because of horrible, stupid, shortsighted political leadership. Never forget: despite a lot of disinvestment in public health, the USA has the resources to respond to this and do just as well as the Euros and Koreans. What we don't have is political leadership capable of using those tools effectively.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/13/opinion/us-coronavirus-trump.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2020/07/facebook-reopen-north-carolina-masks/613978/

Any plan that has in-school learning for public schools in NC is dumb. The state needs to go back to phase 1, get a handle on the virus again, and then put together a plan to start school in October on a county-by-county basis depending on the R0 and number of active cases.

The best plan I have seen for reopening basically involves distance learning for high school, and using the high school buildings to provide in person education for younger kids so there is room to spread all the kids out and maximize social distancing. This seems smart to me because (a) it seems like the older kids are most at risk of catching and spreading the bug and (b) it frees up parents of young kids to go back to work. I don't think the current Cooper plan B is nearly as good.

That is a good plan. Do you know who is doing this?

They could restrict HS in-person to career and tech ed and other electives in the late afternoon or something like that.

We're most likely doing e-learning with our 3rd and 6th graders, but we'd consider in-person for a spread out plan at the high school.

They could restrict HS in-person to career and tech ed and other electives in the late afternoon or something like that.

We're most likely doing e-learning with our 3rd and 6th graders, but we'd consider in-person for a spread out plan at the high school.

Durham County was one of the first counties to propose this plan where the HS school kids all e-learn, and you spread out the elementary and middle school kids using the high school classrooms/campuses as well, and I think it is starting to catch on among other NC school districts. Just have to wait until later this afternoon to make sure Governor Cooper doesn't mandate a more restrictive plan, which would supersede the local districts plans (you can be more strict than the state-wide mandate, but not less strict in your re-opening plans).

Cooper expected to announce this afternoon that NC schools are going to "Plan B", which is 50% of the kids in schools half the days and 50% the other. That seems to be the worst scenario to me, as 100% of the kids funnel through 100% of the adults each week.

This is probably your best post on the subject of COVID.

These school administrators and politicians should have started working on these plans in March, but instead they hoped and prayed the problem would go away and they wouldn't have to make "difficult" decisions.

unsurprisingly i read it in the Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/better-fall-possible/613882/

looks like Charlottesville is trying it:

http://charlottesvilleschools.org/coronavirus/

Dang. After 2 days of declines, today represents the largest single day jump in hospitalizations in NC... annnd we're now back to an all-time high.

In theory I like that, but I think the pushback has been that when CMS went to all e-learning this spring, they had thousands of high school kids just never check in at all. If the thought is send the younger kids to school and let the high school kids e-learn so the parents can go to work and nobody is home with them, a huge portion of the high school kids will say fuck it and not do a damn thing. Parents aren't home, is your average high school kid going to e-learn or go hang with his friends or play on the Xbox all day? Putting that self-responsibility on a 15 year old high school kid is a lot different than a 21 year old college kid.

It was proposed here in WSFCS and high school parents lost their minds.

It was proposed here in WSFCS and high school parents lost their minds.

Yeah, I've heard from some teacher friends in WSFCS that word got out to parents that the high school students might go entirely online and the high schools themselves used to space out elementary and middle school students, and that some HS parents went ballistic. There may not be a solution that everyone accepts, which is why administrators have probably put everything off this long. I guess many parents don't want their HS kids at home any more than the younger ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back